Contrast ride/drivability of Ford/Fuso/Sprinter?

DDW

Thanks for the Polycomposite picture: that nicely illustrates the problem. The box does not need to be higher, except over the cab on a cab forward truck. I would like to avoid soft walls if I go that way, much of my camping is in the winter. But that is the general idea.

I have looked at the XP, seems nicely done but much smaller than what I have in mind. I don't need the low height of a pure pop up, and for my use it has many disadvantages. It requires compromises in internal cabinetry and walls (particularly for the toilet and shower compartments) and introduces extra complications. Also it must be popped for even a quick roadside stop. With only a pop-up over the cabover, these issues are largely mitigated, you are only going to do it when you stop for the night.

The XP does have the general layout that I want, almost unique in the TC world: dinette/seating in the back, lav in the front, side door. But it needs to be about 8 x 12 on the floor. I may talk to them at least, since they are close by.

The Alaskan is also not long enough, and they will not do a side door.

lehel1

Adventurer
our fuso camper

hello

we love our fuso fg and camper, but it is abit rougher ride than our previuos dodge ram 1 ton (as a comparason). we run larger wheels 19.5 and did some some suspension work which really improved things.

with that said the sprinter we test drove had a much better ride but we needed 4x4 and more clearance for much of the traveling we plan on.

we had our 14' cabover camper built by m&m campers in oklahama to fit on our flatbed. its a wood frame and considered a light to medium duty built (not like a foam core box like our previous unimog camper had which was bullet proof camper box) but very cost effective (we were on a tight budget), roomy and light weight and is more than suiting our needs at the moment. we use our truck as a work truck when not traveling so the camper is removable.

have fun and good luck in your finding a great truck and camper.

cheers lehel and laura

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I've had Ford F-250/F-350s for the last 20 years, ('84, '89, '02) all crewcabs, with and without campers (11.5 ft cabover, then FWC, then Wildernest). I just bought a used Fuso FG (2002) last month and drove it home from Colorado (1350 miles).

The post below is from one I posted over in the Mit HT section.......

The best comparison I can make to the Fuso, is my 2002 Ford F-250 crewcab. I just got home last night from a 700 mile trip in the F-250, so a fair comparison to the Fuso trip I made last month. The Ford is quieter, and softer, BUT the Fuso has a 14,000 lbs rating and was at 8990 lbs, while the Ford is rated at about 9,000 lbs and was at 7,700.

I think with added sound damping in the Fuso’s cab, and customs springs/shocks set for its final weight, the Fuso will be on par with the F-250. Two things I like more about the Fuso are the upright driving seat position (bus like), this is just a more comfortable position for me. And the Fuso forces me to drive 55 mph (or less). With the F-250 (mine has the V-10 gas engine), I always seem to be going fast to ‘get home sooner’. The Fuso driving is at a relaxing pace, and as my dad would saw “it is better to be the traffic, then trying to pass the traffic”. A more relaxing, not trying to pass every ‘slow poke’, worrying about Johnny Law and his ticket book drive. And at the end of the day, it is only a half hour or so that was ‘saved’ by going ‘fast’..

I had a 12 hour day, and a 14 hour day driving the Fuso home, and at the end of both, I was fine, not stiff, or worn out. This was completely stock, with a driver’s seat that could uses some new seat foam. Overall much-much nice then I expected. It is no Cadillac, but it sure is no 404 Unimog.

DzlToy

Explorer
while I dont have the back to back comparison that you have, I think much of it comes down to suspension setup. I have a friend who has a 99 Dodge 2500 4x4 and to me that truck shakes my bones when he hits a bump, expansion joint or pot hole at speed. Same guy also has an 06 2wd 2500 (both are long beds) and it is MUCH softer by comparison, not a Lexus, but alot more livable. He drives them both daily and its not something that bothers him. I drive a comfy car all day so if I ride in the 4wd it feels like I am on concrete blocks for tires.

I have ridden in and driven several cabovers over the years, though no super long road trips as above and never thought the ride was that harsh. A rented FRR to move several thousand pounds of furniture recently, did nothing to change the ride IMO, but it was not bad to begin with.

IMO, the easiest thing to forget is that you are basically driving a Medium Duty Work Truck, rated at 14k -19k pounds, not a 2wd F150 or 250 type of truck.

Take some leafs out if you dont need the full load capacity, change tires to something that does not have 10-14 plys, install a high quality shock, add an overload spring, install air bag leveling kits, etc.

There is nothing exclusive to COE trucks that I know of that says they cant ride like a Lexus, they just dont come that way. I was just getting into all of this when I joined this board, so I dont have the experience that many others do, but ride, comfort and compliance is simply a matter of ergonomics and physics IMO...

Back on track a bit more, I would take the build quality and reliability of a Sprinter or Fuso over a domestic truck any day of the week. Buy the better truck and then focus on making it ride better or building your flat bed or whatever you want. Dont buy a truck because it rides nice.

DDW

Back on track a bit more, I would take the build quality and reliability of a Sprinter or Fuso over a domestic truck any day of the week. Buy the better truck and then focus on making it ride better or building your flat bed or whatever you want. Dont buy a truck because it rides nice.

My last two domestic trucks have been stone axe reliable. A Dodge in 65,000 miles had $12 in repairs (heater control knob). A Ford in 75,000 miles has had $80 in repairs (pinion seal). I don't think a Sprinter or Fuso could possibly more reliable. The Fuso would require a lot of cab upgrades to bring it anywhere near what you get in even a medium trim domestic. The Sprinter comes closer, but both of these have the problem that they do not come in an extended cab version - it would have to be modified to get that. I mainly want some storage space in the cab, and the ability to recline the (passenger) seat. Sprinter is also pretty limited on GVWR.

I might go to the trouble of doing the mods, but the consensus seems to line up with my limited experience with the Izuzu - the ride is brutal and difficult to improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior