Converting 6.9 diesel to 4x4

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Thew 6.9 is the predecessor to the 7.3 and is closely related. They are both by International, and I believe they share the same block.

yup...it WILL bolt to it.....

theres many people that have gotten rid of the dual mass flywheel (DMF)...check oilburners.net for writeups...

oh...and post some pictures!!

johnboy

The donor truck has a blown up 7.3.
My van only has 150,000 or so and the engine runs really sweet. I've replaced almost all the goodies( alternator, fuel pump, vacuum pump.......).
Sorry about pics but I sent my camera in to get fixed and it should be back any day now.
Wouldn't you know as soon as I sent the camera out the weather turned really nice in seattle and I've missed a bunch of sunny days to fire off pics.

johnboy

Well bad news. I didn't jump on the truck from cl quick enough and the guy sold it out from under me while I was on the way to his house.:(
Next time I'll just show up for my axle 2 hours early.
Let the search continue.
I finally got my camera back and shot a couple pics of my van but I can't figure out how to post them yet, but I'll keep working on it.

Rot Box

Explorer
For future reference any transmission that came behind a 7.3 IDI will bolt up to the 6.9. They are essentially the same engine aside from displacement and head bolt size. The 6.9's didn't suffer from block worm so I'd say they are the better of the two. The 460 and other gasoline powered trucks had a different bellhousing pattern so they will not bolt right up. If you can find another truck with the ZF 5 speed that will ultimately be your best bet for a transmission and transfer case. The 85.5-97 Dana 60's are all the same for the most part...

Sounds like a fun project and what a great platform to start with :wings:

johnboy

Thanks RotBox
Are you aware of any automatic transmissions with an overdrive that will bolt to these motors. I would love to have the manual but I don't wanna bother with the slave cylinder and clutch pedal. An automatic seems like it could be done in very little time.
What about something that came behind a powerstroke.

Rot Box

Explorer
Thanks RotBox
Are you aware of any automatic transmissions with an overdrive that will bolt to these motors. I would love to have the manual but I don't wanna bother with the slave cylinder and clutch pedal. An automatic seems like it could be done in very little time.
What about something that came behind a powerstroke.

Sorry for the late reply :(

Any four speed auto from an 89-94 IDI Diesel will work for sure. These transmissions are known as the E4OD 4speed and they seem to be pretty reliable/strong once the factory torque converter is upgraded to an aftermarket unit. I don't know a whole lot of specifics about them other than they do have an electronic overdrive so you would need to find a donor truck/van with the computer and harness. Just like the manual transmissions they must be from a diesel and not a gas engine :elkgrin: Hope this helps,

Andrew

johnboy

Hey thanks for the reply.
No worries about the time issue.
I've been on some road trips and my computer has been down.

johnboy

So I just made the score I've been looking for.
I bought a 1976 e-250 pathfinder 4x4 chassis.
It's only a dana 44 but oh well.coil sprung.
Looks like a pretty easy bolt on but I'm gonna need to refurbish some of the parts.
Does anyone know a source for pathfinder parts?

Oh yeah. I also just bought a zf5 transmission and a borg worner transfercase out of an 88 f350. So if anyone knows anywhere to acquire a clutch pedal that fits a E-series van please let me know.

Still trying to get some of my pics to post. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

johnboy

Finally got some pictures.................
March2010120.jpg

March2010121.jpg

March2010124.jpg

March2010298.jpg

March2010292.jpg

heres my new zf5
March2010303.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member