Cool! Winnebago Sprinter 144 4x4 Adventure Concept Introduction

MadH8R

Observer
Ghosted.

It's disappointing that they don't put out an update on this project. Three emails, no replies.

Keyne

Adventurer
Awesome. That's great news. It will be interesting to see the details that carried over from the concept.

Keyne

Adventurer
FYI. I just talked to Winnebago this morning and they are indeed going to produce the Sprinter 4x4 Adventure concept. No details yet but it will be revealed officially in a couple of weeks in September. They are prepping the communications to those that requested an update so if you are on the list you will hear soon.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Doesn't have the coolest feature of the prototype - the ability to level just the bed instead of the entire rig.

The ladder looks well done except that the way it stores on the rear would catch branches I would think...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Will be interesting to see how an electric-only cooktop fares in wide use. I know there are a few vans built this way on here, but I think they're in the minority. I'd probably throw a butane catering burner in a drawer and still do some of my cooking outside.

That said, being able to go from bed to galley and get the coffee going without waking anyone else up is a major win for the layout.

Keyne

Adventurer
If you were interested in an SMB Sprinter build or didn't want to wait for Van Specialties or OSV to build one for you this could be a good option. DIY would of course be cheaper and custom could be higher quality for about the price (OSV excluded), but not having to wait and having a dealer network could make sense for some people.

Seems big on features that make sense. I like the:
- USB ports in good spots
- Ram mount tracks in several locations for mounting ipads, etc.
- No TV/DVD setup - prefer the ram mount ipad setup instead
- Utilitarian flooring
- Toilet can be setup as a shelves storage closet. However, would be better to have a portapotti style cassette instead of one installed in the wall..
- Two outside shower connections (rear and side doors)
- Nice racking system with movable ladder
- The windows look nice with built in shades and screens
- 4 season capable. Need to really see how it is setup but internal plumbing and heated/insulated tanks
- Can get without graphics in good color choices (silver and grey)

Not so great:
- Price is high but after discount can maybe get for $100Kish? I was hoping with WGO volume it would be $90K after discounts... that would be a killer price vs. the custom alternatives
- No second big alternator. Really could only run AC when plugged in. Not that most here would get AC but with such a big van at this price why not right?
- Not sure how comfortable the front dinette would be but nice the table is out of the way and the front seats swivel. We mostly just use the front swivels on our Sprinter anyway.

Riptide

Explorer
Actually pretty innovative in some areas.

• I like the across-the-van axis for sleeping, in a short wheelbase vehicle. The side pods make this possible, at least for many people.
• The moveable bed is pretty clever, and provides a lot of flexibility.
• Very flexible bathroom, although you're going to have to decide before a trip whether to use as a closet or a bathroom. Can't do both.
• Built with solar from the start, so hopefully they've done their homework on matching generating capability vs storage capacity vs real-world usage.
• Cassette toilet is a winner; I plan on covering my Sprinter to such a setup...
• No carpet. We have rubber flooring in our Sprinter, and it's been fantastic in all-season use. A little Simple Green and a scrub brush has it looking like new every time.

I would imagine that with Winnebago's size, all the building components are cut on a CNC router, which should result in tight, high-quality joints needed to withstand long-term off-highway use.

Plus, at this price point, it makes my plans to convert my T1N Sprinter to 4WD someday VERY economical!

45Kevin

Adventurer
Holy moly.
They are asking like $130K plus for the camper portion of this truck?
That's like $2000/sf for the Winnebago parts.

A neighbour of mine just bought a 4x4 sprinter cargo van that he will camperize over the next year or two.
Can't wait to see what he does to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12