Coolant Filters

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
How are they plumbed? Into the overflow line or?

Where are people getting them? Good source?

BS, yes. Coolant travels from the water pump bung to filter. Then out of filter and T into overflow hose. Since the Dieselsite filter has 2 possible inputs and 2 possible outlets, I just used the filter head as the T, aaand I guess that just answered your 2nd question! There is no kit with bracket for vans (of course!). That way, if the filter became totally blocked, nothing bad will happen to your engine. I kept my bracket as low as possible, because the extra port on top leaves me the option for a real temp gauge if I ever suspect oil cooler trouble. I looked at both 7.3 kits and just ordered the one for pre-97 OBS trucks because it has one more 90* which works better. If you want to plumb it really clean buy 2-45* fittings online, one for hose exiting pump, and the other for output from filter head to degas bottle. Yes, it can help on all engines. After a-lot of research, I did a complete system flush, several times with distilled water, and switched from Ford gold coolant(which contains silicates) to Delo ELC(which tested at the top of it's class). Rotella and Catepillar ELC's are also good. The DS filter comes with one Baldwin B5134 element which tested better than any other filter. Wix 24070 is also good and same thread pattern. Hope that helps!

rex_1_mn

Observer
Maybe everyone knows this but pretty sure these filters do more than just filter. At least in the wet sleeve engines (is the 444 wet sleeve) it releases additives to help with the interaction of h2o and steel.

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Maybe everyone knows this but pretty sure these filters do more than just filter. At least in the wet sleeve engines (is the 444 wet sleeve) it releases additives to help with the interaction of h2o and steel.

The filters can be purchased both with or without additive. The ones I posted are without, because I was using new coolant. Old coolant should be tested with test strips first to decide if you need to add some or use a filter that releases it over time. The better ELC's can go 700,000 miles with no additive maintenance.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Got mine put in today. Just moved the PS fill box over an inch, and had just enough room.

Sand Be gone!

Thx for the tips, fellas. Keep em' coming!

IMG_20161018_144612.jpg
IMG_20161018_144455.jpg
IMG_20161018_144506.jpg

FDM2012

Adventurer
I am wondering how many miles I should change them out at. This is not my daily driver, so..........

wjeeper

I would have never considered coolant filters until I got bit by this:

Its hard to tell but the bottom 2/3 of the radiator was completely plugged :Wow1: I may actually consider a coolant filter after the head job this mess cost me........................

so does this benefit a gas engine? or just diesels?

I've been turning a wrench for 15 years full time, and never seen a gas engine with a coolant filter. i guess i can decide if my e series needs one when i do the cooling system in a month or so.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
so does this benefit a gas engine? or just diesels?

I've been turning a wrench for 15 years full time, and never seen a gas engine with a coolant filter. i guess i can decide if my e series needs one when i do the cooling system in a month or so.

Regular coolant changes are the best protection. (as you obviously know) Adding a filter, especially on iron block high displacement engines, is not a bad idea. Once the coolants anti-corrosion additives are depleted, sludge and corrosion byproducts begin to build up on the coolant. The filter can provide advanced warning of coolant contamination.

Diesels are more likely to have these filters, most likely due to their extended service intervals and high mileage.

Last edited:

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
I am wondering how many miles I should change them out at. This is not my daily driver, so..........

FDM2012, nice install, great to have a gauge on it too! Most recommend changing first one in 3 months, and every 6 months after that. I ran mine for 1 month, then flushed the whole system and changed over to Delo ELC and new filter and will probably throw a new one on every 6 months.

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
I would have never considered coolant filters until I got bit by this:

Its hard to tell but the bottom 2/3 of the radiator was completely plugged :Wow1: I may actually consider a coolant filter after the head job this mess cost me........................

Wow! I didn't open up my old radiator last month, but I bet mine looked pretty bad too! If there's that much crud in the radiator, it is a safe bet that the oil cooler has build up as well. In case it is helpful to anyone, engine oil temp and coolant temp vary by more than 15*, the oil cooler is clogged. Glad you got a new radiator on there!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Honestly, I can't see a antifreeze filtering system on a gas motor as harmful. Maybe longer intervals between filter changes tho...

wjeeper

Wow! I didn't open up my old radiator last month, but I bet mine looked pretty bad too! If there's that much crud in the radiator, it is a safe bet that the oil cooler has build up as well. In case it is helpful to anyone, engine oil temp and coolant temp vary by more than 15*, the oil cooler is clogged. Glad you got a new radiator on there!

This particular radiator was out of a Jeep. It had some when I picked it up it had overheating issues and finally popped the head gasket. These el-cheapo aluminum/ plastic radiators its pretty easy to take the tanks off and re-seal. This block was seriously pitted internally and the coolant passages were packed full of sediment........the previous owner must not have ever changed fluid or run strait water in it.

With my rig pushing 200K with a unknown maintenance history I am probably going to give a filter a try for safety sake!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179