Coolant Filters

Abitibi

Explorer
Coolant filter especially useful when using heat exchanger to heat water with coolant. Gas vs diesel, no matter
Curious, why so?

Also, anyone installed their coolant filter in a remote location (along frame) to save engine bay real estate?

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

scummy

Curious, why so?

Also, anyone installed their coolant filter in a remote location (along frame) to save engine bay real estate?

Mine is located on the drivers side frame rail just below the drivers door.

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Curious, why so?

Yup. on 4x4 6.0, Drivers side, next to relocated oil filter above driveshaft, infront of fuel pump.

CIMG3960-L.jpg

CIMG3970-L.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
Good, I was hoping to keep the engine bay not too crowded. Does it matter if the filter is sideways? I can't see why not...
And which brand did you go with? I think I only saw 2 brands...

Abitibi

Explorer
So I ended up buying parts to build my own system. Hard to justify the price tag of those kits when you can easily build your own...

I bought a Baldwin cfb5000 coolant filter head for $30 on ebay and a bunch of filters for dirt cheap (plain coolant ones, not those with chemicals). This wknd I'll find some high temp valves and brass fittings. Pretty sure I'll mount it along the frame but I'll see once I have all the parts hooked up where it makes the most sense.

390ed555c74ca45a1283b791662145d6.jpg

Cheers
David

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
So I ended up buying parts to build my own system. Hard to justify the price tag of those kits when you can easily build your own...

I bought a Baldwin cfb5000 coolant filter head for $30 on ebay and a bunch of filters for dirt cheap (plain coolant ones, not those with chemicals). This wknd I'll find some high temp valves and brass fittings. Pretty sure I'll mount it along the frame but I'll see once I have all the parts hooked up where it makes the most sense.

Cheers
David

I bought a $120 diesel (something).com kit for my van. When I did my truck I thought the same as you and buit my own kit. Ended up costing close to the same amount, tone of time running around finding bits, and not nearly as nice/quality parts as I got in the kit. Next vehicle im using the kit again.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Would it work to install a filter in the coolant lines that went to the rear heater? Right now I've just got a loop of line to connect them together (since the heater has been removed).

The advantage would be that it would be mounted to the frame rail where space is plentiful.

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Would it work to install a filter in the coolant lines that went to the rear heater? Right now I've just got a loop of line to connect them together (since the heater has been removed).

The advantage would be that it would be mounted to the frame rail where space is plentiful.
BS, I don't know how/where those lines are plumbed into, because my van never had rear heat. Here's info that may be helpful though. The bung port on the side of your water pump is the location you want for filter input. Most plumb filter output to T in overflow hose. With it set up that way, the filter could be completely clogged or shut off with no effect on the cooling system. I guess you could filter anywhere in the system, but there would at least be some amount of flow restriction. Cheers!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
These coolant filters are designed to be used as a bypass filter. This means they should pull from a high-pressure area after the pump and return to a low pressure area. In theory it could be used in series with the heater core. The heater core is noncritical and a reduction in heater output would be an easy way to indicate a clogged filter. You do not want the filter to block any essential cooling flow when it is clogged.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
There'd be no reduction in output because the rear heater has been removed. This leaves behind two 5/8" lines that are currently just connected with a length of hose (under middle of the rig). The only thing left would be to out the direction of flow. At the moment I can't remember how those lines are plumbed, but in the other vehicle I have has 'T's in the heater lines to connect the rear heater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater