Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

jim65wagon

Also, a critical component of traction we often forget is flexibility. At a given pressure, the more flexible (conforming) the tire usually the better the traction, .

I hadn't thought of that aspect, and I have read some on sand driving.....as a creature of habit I simply put my Stauns on and let them do their thing (I think they're at 20 or 22 psi). They were set up with the old ST's and this is the first I've aired down the Maxx's. Clearly I need to do some testing and adjusting.....

jim65wagon

Thanks for the advice TB. Since I'm not really wheeling like you and not trying to wrap my tires around rocks and logs to climb over I think I'll start slow and try 3/4 of that first....

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Oh Puh-leeze. I'm not that hard core... Canadian (Whipsaw) forest trails at 10-12 lbs PSI... do my tires look like they're going to pop off the rim? And that was with a fully loaded bed and 3 Jerry cans; easily 1000 lbs. I'm sure I was pushing the weight of your truck on an extended trip.
DSC03853.jpg

You're truck can do any of the stuff that I do - easy. Try it see how much you like the ride and traction.

jim65wagon

Oh Puh-leeze. I'm not that hard core...
Oh Puh-leeze. I do believe I saw your minor build thread on here somewhere....

TangoBlue said:
easily 1000 lbs. I'm sure I was pushing the weight of your truck on an extended trip.
That might be fair if you add three more people to your ride, their food, water, and gear.....really, have you seen all the stuff the four of us take? The food alone probably weighs as much as your midget ride.

TangoBlue said:
You're truck can do any of the stuff that I do - easy. Try it see how much you like the ride and traction.
Dumb question of the day......Then why didn't you just buy a Tundra instead of building that 4-banger into a reasonable facsimile?

If 15 doesn't work next time I get sandy, 10 will get tried......

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
That might be fair if you add three more people to your ride, their food, water, and gear.....really, have you seen all the stuff the four of us take? The food alone probably weighs as much as your midget ride.

Dumb question of the day......Then why didn't you just buy a Tundra instead of building that 4-banger into a reasonable facsimile?

Meh... I always over-pack to make up for 6 extra people.

If I knew then what I know now...

aviator

I've been running 32 Front/30 Rear and it made a pretty good difference(for the better). Not as harsh and they appear to sit more "evenly" on the pavement, so maybe that will help them last longer too.

chasespeed

Explorer
Okay... I saw mention of a severe rating on these tires.... I dont see that on the Cooper Site.

I am looking for a set for my work service van. Please, remember, that I provide mechanical(HVAC) services for cell sites, which requires, a pretty decent amount of off pavement travel. Running Mastrap Courser A/Ts now... and, well, I am less than impressed with them. I need a tire that is going to withstand some serious abuse, and a LOT of highway miles... I have put a little more than 30k on this year. The van will probably be getting retired within the year(I was supposed to already have my Quigley)...

So... they NEED to be E rated(not a problem), but, I need good void, and good siping... I have Dunlop MaxxTracs on the truck, and love them. My other choice is the Goodyear DuraTracs... all things being equal, it will probably boil down to cost(Coopers will win I imagine)....

So... give input on a HEAVY 2wd service van.... whaddya think?

Chase

Fargo

Adventurer
Okay... I saw mention of a severe rating on these tires.... I dont see that on the Cooper Site.

I am looking for a set for my work service van. Please, remember, that I provide mechanical(HVAC) services for cell sites, which requires, a pretty decent amount of off pavement travel. Running Mastrap Courser A/Ts now... and, well, I am less than impressed with them. I need a tire that is going to withstand some serious abuse, and a LOT of highway miles... I have put a little more than 30k on this year. The van will probably be getting retired within the year(I was supposed to already have my Quigley)...

So... they NEED to be E rated(not a problem), but, I need good void, and good siping... I have Dunlop MaxxTracs on the truck, and love them. My other choice is the Goodyear DuraTracs... all things being equal, it will probably boil down to cost(Coopers will win I imagine)....

So... give input on a HEAVY 2wd service van.... whaddya think?

Chase

I dont think the ST MAXX is severe weather rated. For what you describe I would think the Duratrac would be better. Also go to WalMart and check out the GoodYear Authority AT. Its a very aggressive AT tire and I'm pretty sure it is severe weather rated. The only problem is that sizes are limited. I think a 265 is the biggest they make. I could be wrong but I believe the Duratrac, the Authority, the Dunlop Maxxtrac, and the Kelly Attitude are all built on the same carcass.

chasespeed

Explorer
Thanks... though, I am limited to where I can cut a Purchase Order, and Walmart is NOT on of those places.. I am limited to Town Fair Tire, and a local garage(that will order in what I want), though, they(the shop) is a Cooper Dealer. I dont NEED a severe snow rating, that would just be a benefit, as, most of the sites are only accessible by snowmobile or ATV in the winter.... and the Maxx Trax is no longer available, or I would order that and be done...

BTW, my bad... 245/75-16 E

Thanks,
Keep'em coming..

Chase

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Well I joined the Maxx club today. I should have done this back in late Spring when my tire guy could get a better deal on them but what is...is. So we mounted up a set of 285/16/75 on the 16x8 inch rims and slapped them on my Tundra.

100_3027.jpg

I paid $210 a tire mounted and balance. Initial thoughts are as follows....

*Man these are one heavy tire. If your a scrawny little feller, these tires might be to much for you.
*These tires look way more aggressive in person.
*I like the stepped lugs and stonekickers in the tread.
*These tires have a slight hum, but less so than the old Deans had when new.
*You can feel the weight of these tires during acceleration and braking. Not enough to be a real factor but on underpowered rigs it might be more noticeable.
*Siping is full depth of the tread unlike the Duratracs were the siping only extends 2/3 the depth of the tread.
*These tires are pretty round, the worst tire/wheel combo only needed 6 oz of weight to balance.

It will be a few weeks before the snow starts flying or I get a chance to get them muddy but I'll keep post up how they do as time passes.

100_3028.jpg

100_3029.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
How does the noise of these tires compare to bfg A/T's? Would these tires be better than most mud tires on icy roads because of the siping?

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
How does the noise of these tires compare to bfg A/T's?

The BFG ATs would be quieter as there is less void in the tread design than the Maxx tires. I use to run BFG ATs exclusively on my rigs, but will not buy them anymore. Where once the BFGs were the only choice for a slightly more aggressive all terrain tire the market now offers a wide selection of tires that preform better, last longer and are cost efficient than what the BFGs offer. The Cooper and ******** Cepek FC IIs have proven themselves as a better all around tire in my experience.

Would these tires be better than most mud tires on icy roads because of the siping?

Yes, and that is the appeal of these types of tires. You gain the advantages of a mud terrain while also reaping the benefits of a siped highway tire. The siping acts like another gripping surface and allows the tread to be a bit more flexible as it grips terrain. Be mindful that while a tire tread may be siped when new some tire's siping does not extend into the full depth of the tread so when you reach 30,000 miles or so you end up with a sipeless tread and a loss of traction. While using one of these more aggressive all terrain tires will not give you the performance of true mud dedicated tires or heavily siped winter treads the merger of those traits makes for a tire that can preform very well in a wider variance of conditions. Those of us that live in the snow belts really appreciate an aggressive tire with good siping, mud tires and ice are a scary combination.

chasespeed

Explorer
Well, back on this for me... I ended up with another plug in the other front tire today... so... I ordered up a set of these for my service van....

We have been playing around with different tires on our vans... one of our quigleys is running duratracs, another just put on a set of BFG M/T KM2s, and, another is in the market now...

Our vans are heavy, and right at about GVW. We also put a lot of mileage on our vans... I am pushing 30k this year so far.... So, I think I will be able to get ya'll a long term mileage report pretty quick.....

Really hoping these provide good wear, and better traction...... though, so far, I still wish they made the Dunlop MaxxTrac... I love that tire on my Ram...

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78