Cottonwood Canyon......all the way to Lockhart Basin in October

Brett M

Adventurer
Hey all, just thought I would post up a trip that a few of my friends and I are planning.

Day One: Get down south ;)

Day Two: Right now, the plan is to start out near the Needles District of Canyonlands and travel up Cottonwood Canyon and into Beef Basin. Go and check out the ruins that we can spot. Dark Canyon has been mentioned, but since it's not on my maps on how to access it from there, I've not added it yet. We'll probably be camping somewhere in this area, so if you've idea's on where, post up.

Day Three: From Beef Basin, we'll travel through Ruin Park to Bobby's Hole and up to Chesler Park. I've been to Chesler numerous times, since my parents used to take us down south all the time as kids. Plan as it stands is to go hike the Joint Trail and explore around a bit. My family has nicknamed some of that area Fat Man's misery, and if you've been there, you know why ;) The rest of the day is still up in the air. Possibly go out to the Confluence Overlook? I wouldn't mind driving down Cyclone Canyon and possibly hiking Red's Canyon. We'll either camp somewhere around there or drive out through Elephant Hill and possibly camp on Lockhart Basin road.

Day Four: Start driving up Lockhart Basin. I'm not sure of what there really is to explore on this trail, as it's been 15 years since I've been on it. We've discussed camping at the end of Lockhart Canyon, near the Colorado. Other than that, if you've idea's of what to do, post up.

Day Five: Drive into Moab and gas up and head home :(

So, I've read a few threads about the area, and if you've got ideas or GPS points for interesting stops, ruins, pictographs, anything, send them over.

And, Kurt, post up anything you want to add too!

Last edited:

durangodds

Adventurer
Brett M said:
Day Three: ...go out to the Confluence Overlook? I wouldn't mind driving down Cyclone Canyon and possibly hiking Red's Canyon. We'll either camp somewhere around there or drive out through Elephant Hill and possibly camp on Lockhart Basin road.
You probably already know this, but any backcountry camping in the park requires a permit. You can stop at the park before hand and get a walk-in permit, but it's just as easy to request one and not have to stop.

The road from Beef Basin to Dark Canyon is signed and easy to find. You can actually drive down (I believe) Peavine Canyon? into the wilderness area and camp. Search here for posts on Dark Canyon and you'll find plenty of threads on the trip you're planning.

Brett M

Adventurer
durangodds said:
You probably already know this, but any backcountry camping in the park requires a permit. You can stop at the park before hand and get a walk-in permit, but it's just as easy to request one and not have to stop.

Yep, knew about having to get a permit. We're going to discuss it tomorrow evening and try to figure out where everyone would like to camp that day.

durangodds said:
The road from Beef Basin to Dark Canyon is signed and easy to find. You can actually drive down (I believe) Peavine Canyon? into the wilderness area and camp. Search here for posts on Dark Canyon and you'll find plenty of threads on the trip you're planning.

That's good to hear. Kurt had mentioned it so I'm betting he has an idea of where to go. I'll run a search for previous threads on here, thanks :)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Brett M said:
...That's good to hear. Kurt had mentioned it so I'm betting he has an idea of where to go. I'll run a search for previous threads on here, thanks :)

Yup ;) Peavine Canyon is the in... and out... :D

Willman

When in Oct.?????

Depending on the date.....I might be able to go if their is room........

:)

Brett M

Adventurer
Change of plans (at least for me.) We're going to get to Blanding Wednesday, and start off Thursday morning by running to Dark Canyon and exploring that for part of the day, then head up into Beef Basin. I've attached another link to the Google map if you guys want to look it over.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a29n21c15jm

Enjoy

cruiseroutfit

Here is my rough trop itinerary... it has us camping in Beef Basin on Thursday, rather than after. With all the potential side excusrsions and ruin sites, I think we could spend the remainder of our daylight Thursday night, and some of our morning Friday in Beef Basin. What do you think?? Here is where I left off the other night...

Brett M

Adventurer
cruiseroutfit said:
Here is my rough trop itinerary... it has us camping in Beef Basin on Thursday, rather than after. With all the potential side excusrsions and ruin sites, I think we could spend the remainder of our daylight Thursday night, and some of our morning Friday in Beef Basin. What do you think?? Here is where I left off the other night...

Looks good to me. I know that maybe for once I'll get to do what I always want and that's to try any and all side roads out :shakin:

cruiseroutfit

Brett M said:
Looks good to me. I know that maybe for once I'll get to do what I always want and that's to try any and all side roads out :shakin:

Yuppers... lets plan on that. It sounds like everyone else has been through Elephant Hill/SOB/Confluence, etc... so we shouldn't focus much time there, just haul butt through IMO. That buys us more time for Beef Basin and Lockhart area.

Brett M

Adventurer
cruiseroutfit said:
Yuppers... lets plan on that. It sounds like everyone else has been through Elephant Hill/SOB/Confluence, etc... so we shouldn't focus much time there, just haul butt through IMO. That buys us more time for Beef Basin and Lockhart area.

Fine by me. Looking over the maps, there's lot of areas elsewhere to check out. Beef and Lockhart it is!

alia176

Explorer
If I *could* make this trip, I'd be coming up from the Southern direction, ABQ, NM. Where would be a good place to meet up with y'all?

Thanks.

Brett M

Adventurer
alia176 said:
If I *could* make this trip, I'd be coming up from the Southern direction, ABQ, NM. Where would be a good place to meet up with y'all?

Thanks.

Best bet would be if you could make it to Blanding, UT either Wednesday night or Thrusday morning. Its not a huge place so it wouldn't be too hard to meet up. Let Kurt or I know, that'd be cool to meet up!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan