Crankshaft bolt and roll pin...

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Okay so the other day (well about a week ago) I was driving home from dropping my son off at Pre-K, when I lost PS, A/C, and alt. So what happened is the Crank bolt (old style) backed out, and the pulley is now loose. The Woodruff Key looks fine and the bolt came out in one piece! (yay!!!) But the roll pin is gone. So I am thinking of drilling it out and getting a new one to tap in there so that my Pulley will go back on and I can get it on the road. Any suggestions?

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Well after working at this while still in the Sport, I am thinking of just lining up all my timing marks and pulling out the Crank sprocket so that I can just drill it out in my place. would be much quicker and I can see it better.

nckwltn

Explorer
I'm pretty sure that my crank sprocket came off with the pulley when I was wiggling everything off. Just so as long as you get the sprocket and crank pulley lined up how they need to be, I don't think it matters too much how you get them fixed together. Just as long as they are together tightly.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Was your timing belt already shot? The roll pin is for holding basically holding the crankshaft in position for tightening the Crank bolt down, otherwise it would just spin the Harmonic balancer and that would not help.

nckwltn

Explorer
Was your timing belt already shot? The roll pin is for holding basically holding the crankshaft in position for tightening the Crank bolt down, otherwise it would just spin the Harmonic balancer and that would not help.

The timing belt wasn't shot, but the bearings from the two pulleys, and the seized water pump were :)

I used a chain wrench around the harmonic balancer/crank pulley. That held the crank pulley in place while I put the proper torque on the bolt that holds it all together. I'm not really sure what this "roll pin" is that you're talking about, do you have a picture or three?

wonderingsol

Wow! U got lucky with the bolt coming out. Make sure the locating pins on the rear of the timing sprocket did not shear off. They hold the Crank postion sensor blade and spacer in place.

nckwltn

Explorer
Wow! U got lucky with the bolt coming out. Make sure the locating pins on the rear of the timing sprocket did not shear off. They hold the Crank postion sensor blade and spacer in place.

not really sure it was luck... I just followed the instructions in the FSM (I think). The only difference was I didn't have the special tool to hold the crank pulley, so I used the chain wrench. It put a small little nick into the pulley grooves, but I fixed it with a screwdriver, good as new!

But I can see how something could come apart or break that would allow the pulley to spin free.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
There is a roll pin located on the front of the timing gear that goes through a little hole in the vibration dampner. I know my timing is safe because I continued to drive it home after bolt backed out. And no check engine light plus it was still driving and bits and pieces of engine on the road :)

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Okay quick question when one want to remove the timing belt, does the whole plate have to come off on the 3.5L or is there a short cut?

nckwltn

Explorer
Whole plate?

I couldn't figure out how to get the new timing belt on without removing the crankshaft pulley.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Whole plate?

I couldn't figure out how to get the new timing belt on without removing the crankshaft pulley.

I was looking over the FSM and is shows on the 3.5L that there is a plate that looks like it hold the belt tensioners for the accessory drives, you know PS alt stuff like that. I didn't know if it has to come off or not. I looks like a giant plate with stuff attached to it.

nckwltn

Explorer
oh yeah... that thing!

Yes, it has to come off. it really isn't a problem, except for the AC compressor. There are 4 bolts that hold it in place that are pretty cumbersome to get to.

check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vunvsjph9Yk (turn your sound down, the music is quite loud). It is a sped up version of someone changing the tbelt on a 3.5l montero sport.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Okay no AC compressor has to come, just one long bolt above it. But it was pretty simple to pull out only took me about 30 min. to get it out of there. I will be pondering my choices at this time as to how I want to proceed. Since I am not doing my timing belt simply pulling it off and putting it back on. I can either make sure all is good TDC and all that stuff or since my timing marks are all lined up just pull and don't move the crank. Hmmm quick and dirty or prim and proper...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior