Crankshaft bolt and roll pin...

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Okay so I have the belt off, clamped the timing belt in place on the cam gears. Now I am having problems getting the crank sprocket off. Is there a puller I should be using. I can't find anything in the FSM about it. Just seeing what anyone else has done. This is the Sprocket the timing belt goes on, attached directly to the snout on the crankshaft.

nckwltn

Explorer
mine just (mostly) slid off. IIRC there is one tooth coming off the crank that goes into that sprocket. You could probably use a screwdriver to pry it forward a little. You might be able to use some kind of puller, but it shouldn't take much force at all to get it free.

One thing to check out is the crank position sensor metal thing. there are a couple of places where that can get caught up and cause the sprocket to not come free. I think one of the places is even low and behind the sprocket.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Sorry about the long time between posts, finally was able to get the Crank sprocket off. Took a little bit of oil and a screwdriver and wrench for leverage. But had to work it out a little bit, a bit of rust down there. But I will clean everything up and make it look all clean before I reinstall. Well of to a drill about a roll pin.

MontyMcV

Observer
If you have the timing marks lined up, which you should of course, then the crank position [thing] on the back of the gear will be trapped by the crank sensor. You have to take the sensor off first.
Use anti-sieze on the inside of the crank gear before putting it back on. I'd pop the woodruff off as well and get all that it touches. This of is all based on my living in the rust-belt...

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Yeah I had that off last time I tried. Thanks for the idea of anti-sieze not that I worry about rust here in AZ but I like to use the stuff just because it helps. And the Key is on my list, for sure. A lot of red brown color down there I want is shiny when it goes back together.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Well after trying to drill it out, I have decided I am going to spend the probably $20 to take it to a machine shop and have them drill it out. Save me time and sometimes I like things done by professionals.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Okay well they kept telling me they wouldn't do it. So I went ahead and ordered the parts the other day. They will be here tomorrow so I should be up and running by the weekend! Which will be nice. Only 2 months down not bad if I do say so...

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Found the Torque specs. Sadly when I took the Auto tensioner to a shop to be compressed the housing broke. So now I am going to have to get a new one. The old one still hold but with it being an interference engine I will not risk JB welding it back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior