Crossing oz south to north in a stock fg637

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
I am led to believe that the turbo installs on the single cab are less of a head ache. But I'm beginning to get sick of doing hills at 40kph

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Board Express

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Part of my original sales pitch was the 2 ton carrying capacity..I'm still not confident that its enough judging by the amount of stuff we took last time we went camping in the Daily driver.

Hi ,
With our canter when we go camping WE even need to take our camper trailer full with stuff and with a canoe on top which is also full of stuff, bigger you go the more you will take lol lol.:coffeedrink:

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Saw an 8x8 man at a customers the other day in sure that would challenge even my wife to fill up. And a neat party trick it had central tyre inflation on all 12 wheels.

Amesz00

Adventurer
I am led to believe that the turbo installs on the single cab are less of a head ache. But I'm beginning to get sick of doing hills at 40kph

it is much more of a headache..(on the crewcab) we had our old 637 crewcab turbo'd by turbotech here in perth about 10 years ago.. they pretty much had to make a new rear engine cover that more or less excluded people from sitting in the 2 middle rear seats. they could put their feet on top of it though i guess. overall was worth it (+3" exhaust and better intake), made the truck go much better, heaps more torque.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
There's a guy here in Sa that has had it done by a mob in adelaide I may have a squiz.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Ok you win......for now but one day...(evil laugh)

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Amesz did the economy improve or get worse with the turbo?

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Can someone give me some reports on performance (ahem) loss in a non turbo canter when fitting larger diameter tyres.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Can someone give me some reports on performance (ahem) loss in a non turbo canter when fitting larger diameter tyres.

No loss at all, it has longer legs on the flat though. The engine seems to be running at a better load/rate. I don't suffer from 40kph hills either unless they are big, it does slow down though.. My normal road speed I sit at is 90kph if the engine had more power it would sit better at 100.
Dan

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Will the truck do 100 or does it run out of puff. I just don't want to do all my travelling at 90 like some of the more "senior" members. At the moment I can do 100 and get 16l/100km.

blackduck

Explorer
Will the truck do 100 or does it run out of puff. I just don't want to do all my travelling at 90 like some of the more "senior" members. At the moment I can do 100 and get 16l/100km.

first its stupid
now its senior
no wonder Ive got a complex

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Senior in a good way Stu, like fine wine.

engineer

Adventurer
in my experience, with a 649 @ 6 ton, towing a 2 ton trailer, you will lose some performance, but the fuel ecomonmy doesnt change much.
they still do 100, turbo fitted, they hold their speed better, but the engine loses about 10-20% of its life... depending how you drive or abuse it.
The 4.2 fitted with an aftermarket (toowoomba) turbo i drove would pull 140 with a trailer..... my fav canter ever..

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Thanks engineer I haven't driven a turbo 4.2 but as they are they just seemed geared wrong. I think a turbo is a while off ,the engine still seams to have a bit of power at 90-100 but it revs out. I drive mine fairly hard as it is being as a service truck and I do a lot of callouts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears