Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

overlander

Expedition Leader
remember all of the mpg calculations were based on a 95 mile trip that included wheeling in low range...
That makes sense. The first videos for the TJ repower were claiming observed 25-30 mpg in daily use. Thats has my attention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Charles R

Adventurer
I have a hemi grand Cherokee, and a CRD one. On the freeway, my hemi is very acceptable. I get around 18mpg, to the CRD's 22. In the city it's more pronounced... 12mpg vs. 17mpg...

But off road? That's where i made my decision to buy the CRD in the first place! The trip it happened took about 5 hours, and covered 33 miles. I got 4.3mpg with the hemi. That's a total tank range of about 90 miles....

I copied that trip after i got the CRD just for pure comparison... 11mpg for a tank range around 200 miles.

I can't even imagine ever taking my hemi off roading again.

blackdmax15

Observer
I agree diesels take a little while to break in and trust me that's the route i want to go with my TJ rubi, but price has to come in to play sometime. If the kit comes in below 10k, i very well may buy two. I love the fact diesels run cooler, can idle all day burning less fuel, give you significant more range for same tank (tiny 19 gal TJ tanks) and are just plain cool. I guess the intent in my post is if any Cummins reps are out there reading this, they make the swap economical. I selfishly want them to sell thousands of these kits and make the parts availability of the 2.8 increase in the US. But i can spend the money on fuel carrying solutions and a 5.3L or 6.2L GM v8 if the kit is 15k plus.

blackdmax15

Observer
That makes sense. The first videos for the TJ repower were claiming observed 25-30 mpg in daily use. Thats has my attention.

Additionally, i think he is geared super low for that engine to shine in this configuration. He has 5.38s on 37s with a NV3500 and a low range atlas. This negatively affects him on the highway portion. But lets be honest, 3-5mpg is still an increase either way.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Additionally, i think he is geared super low for that engine to shine in this configuration. He has 5.38s on 37s with a NV3500 and a low range atlas. This negatively affects him on the highway portion. But lets be honest, 3-5mpg is still an increase either way.

Especially considering Cummins normally shine in the low rpm range for mpg. Not sure if the 2.8 would be any different

LR Max

Local Oaf
I think they are making it meet EPA 2007 or 2010 or something. So what that means is you can use it to repower any on-road vehicle built before 2007 or 2010.

The EPA rules state that you can repower a vehicle with the same year model engine OR newer. So that is what they are going for. I don't know if they'll go for making it EPA 2017 complaint.

The one I saw in the ~2000 TJ, it looked like it had only a DOC on the exhaust. If so, then that would be good.

This is a common rail injection engine. From what was said on Dirt Everyday's episode, I think it is a Bosch system. So with that, the DOC, and EGR, it'll require ULSD to operate. So yes, full mechanical engine and the latest high pressure equipment.

The 2.8 vs. the 3.8, from the specs I saw, the 3.8 won't have much more HP, but has an extra 100 lb/ft of torque. I guess that is good, but for our light applications I think the 2.8 would be better. Smaller, lighter, and uses common cheap transmissions. I don't know what transmission you'd need to run the 3.8, but probably a NV4500 or something.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I cant imagine this would require ulsd when it is used as a production engine world wide, specifically called out in specs as engineered for 3rd world and low quality diesel, as well as off highway industrial equipment.

Cascadian_Matt

Observer
Got to say I am excited about the potential for this in something like a 60 Series or 80 Series! Here's to hoping that Cummins and some of the adaptor companies turn the market on its head. It will be exciting to have a new way to power some older rigs.

I went to the Cummins web site and signed up for the notification of availability for this. Tired of the envy factor we have to endure in North America when it comes to Diesel engines. Make America great again. (That is humor not politics).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B85

Adventurer
What about using it in the 4 door JK's ?

V6 = 205hp at 5200 2.8D = 160 at 3200
V6 = 240 TQ at 4000 2.8D = 267 at 1300

What do you think ? I have a 2007 JK with 200,000+ on the engine so I know its my time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior