Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

justbecause

perpetually lost
before hurricane katrina diesel was always less expensive than gas everywhere I went. Since then I have only ever seen it cheaper than gasoline when traveling out west.

blackdmax15

Observer
I'm just excited manufacturers are looking to supply this market. I hope they get a ton of orders and bring other crate engines options. On their survey on the re power website it asks what other crate engines would you be interested in. The 5.0 cummins would be great in 4dr JKs and land cruisers IMO.

robert

Expedition Leader
Comparing a brand new engine to a used take out / half cut is really apples and oranges - the example you gave has 174,000 km on it (about 110,000 miles) and their warranty would be difficult to claim against and is only for 30 days - which would be hard to even use since you would have to get the engine transplant completed in that time to really test it.

Simple, they're are and have been readily available. It's just another option out there for folks but as mentioned, I've always been surprised that American oilburner fans haven't taken advantage of them, instead swapping in used 4BTs, Mercedes diesels, and other options with typicaly less than stelllar results. The small Japanese diesels are proven all over the world every day.

They will run on whatever diesel you can find instead of requiring ULSD and exhaust fluid and parts and service for them are readily available outside of the US. You can buy and, if needed, rebuild them for less than what the crate engine is going to costs. Everyone I know who buys a used engine puts it on a test stand and runs it, checking compression, leakdown, etc. before taking the time to mount it up.

Personally I'm glad to see the crate option available and I hope that they become more popular.

Dalko43

Explorer
You're right - its not cheap. My point is, what new crate engine swap is?

The crate engine swap market in general is aimed at a relatively slim cross section of the populace. We can't fault this engine for that. It's not supposed to compete with the guy who replaces his blown 4.0L with another junkyard 4.0L for $500. It's competing with crate LS swaps or people who have the money for a crate LS swap but that end result doesnt appeal to them.

As for what that market is like, its huge - there are a couple dozen build on this board alone.

Looking at what some of the LS crate engines are selling for, $9k for a small displacement diesel certainly isn't out of this world. I do think that the certain types of crate engines, like those from Chevy and Mopar, do have a wider target audience because of all the racing, car shows, and overall interest in refurbishing older cars/trucks with newer engines. The type of buyers who want replace their stock engine with a lightweight diesel are a much smaller group by comparison. As much as we like to think that overlanding and offroading types compromise a majority or even a sizable minority of the truck community, I don't think that is the case.

Again, I'm not saying that I personally wouldn't buy this engine if had the cash and project vehicle on hand. But I can understand why there might be reluctance from others.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Looking at what some of the LS crate engines are selling for, $9k for a small displacement diesel certainly isn't out of this world. I do think that the certain types of crate engines, like those from Chevy and Mopar, do have a wider target audience because of all the racing, car shows, and overall interest in refurbishing older cars/trucks with newer engines. The type of buyers who want replace their stock engine with a lightweight diesel are a much smaller group by comparison. As much as we like to think that overlanding and offroading types compromise a majority or even a sizable minority of the truck community, I don't think that is the case.

Again, I'm not saying that I personally wouldn't buy this engine if had the cash and project vehicle on hand. But I can understand why there might be reluctance from others.

Very much agree with this point of view.

In my case going from a V8/4speed to the 4BT/Auto was about driveability.
I didn't care about fuel mileage, or adding power. I just wanted something that is relaxed and easy to drive.
The low end torque makes it super easy to drive in every situation.
Comfort and driveability is not something a lot of people put high value on when building a project, unless that project is going to be heavily used.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Small Diesel is overrated. Towing 15k pounds, then yea...Go diesel.

To get this engine to meet USA emissions, it's gonna be packed with expensive and problematic bits and pieces. Long gone are the million mile workhorse diesels that everyone seems to think are still being made. These motors will have to use ULSD, so theyll crap out when someone goes to another country with one and fills it full of crappy fuel.
Then you have to buy adapters for trans and t cases. Then wiring and tuning.
Diesel fuel is more expensive. Ive never seen diesel cost less than gasoline. For wheeling...Gearing is what matters most...You don't need 300 ft/lbs when going 5 mph.
A $2k 5.3 V8 with trans or rebuilding your current motor will save a lot of money for a lot of gasoline. And so much other stuff.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Meets emissions with just the EGR valve under the repower program. So none of the highly problematic emissions equipment, just the valve that has been on all diesel and gas vehicles since the early 80's that fall under the 8500 lb weight rating from the EPA (all 3/4 ton and lighter trucks).

This exact motor has been used outside the US since around 2010, pretty common in the small box trucks. ULSD is not required for the motor.

ULSD is a requirement with other emission systems. DPF, urea injection, all that crap. It's those emission systems that require ULSD, the engine doesn't care whether it's a mechanical injected or common rail injected engine.

Engine comes already programmed, no tuning required.

No computer wiring to figure out as far as the motor is required. Wiring into the gauges is necessary with any engine swap. Or run the diagnostic readout display that Cummins has (first link to the 'Dirt Every Day' episode discusses and shows that).

Gearing or power, either way works.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
One thing I'm struggling with is the claim of 330lbs less weight than the 4BT. I should have weighed the 4BT before install. Color me hopeful... :drool:
The Scout had a 304 V8 prior to the 4BT swap, and the overall swap only gained about 40 lbs according to the CAT scales. But it's a whole different drive train now. From the aluminum radiator back.
I sure hope the weight reduction is real. That would allow carrying more :beer: :wings:

In any case, just the O.E. compliance, and resultant reduction of pollutants (exhaust and noise), definitely has my full attention. :)

LR Max

Local Oaf
One thing I'm struggling with is the claim of 330lbs less weight than the 4BT. I should have weighed the 4BT before install. Color me hopeful... :drool:
The Scout had a 304 V8 prior to the 4BT swap, and the overall swap only gained about 40 lbs according to the CAT scales. But it's a whole different drive train now. From the aluminum radiator back.
I sure hope the weight reduction is real. That would allow carrying more :beer: :wings:

In any case, just the O.E. compliance, and resultant reduction of pollutants (exhaust and noise), definitely has my full attention. :)

Oh it is. The 4BT is a 4.5L engine, this is obviously a 2.8L engine. It is physically a much smaller engine. Size wise, I'd say its about in between a Jeep 6 cyl and a Jeep 4 cyl, if that ballparks you on size.

You can look up dimensions somewhere. But the fact is that the 2.8 is smaller and has less metal in it.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Oh it is. The 4BT is a 4.5L engine, this is obviously a 2.8L engine. It is physically a much smaller engine. Size wise, I'd say its about in between a Jeep 6 cyl and a Jeep 4 cyl, if that ballparks you on size.

You can look up dimensions somewhere. But the fact is that the 2.8 is smaller and has less metal in it.

Per Cumminshub the 4BT weighs between 745 lbs-782lbs w/oil (depending on dress).
http://www.cumminshub.com/4bt.html
So either the R2.8L is lighter than the claimed 503lbs, or their marketing department is taking "creative license" with the weight claims.
Because 503 + 330 = 833 lbs. That is significantly heavier than a realistic weight of the 4BT.

All that said, even if it was only 242lbs lighter, it's still a very significant reduction in weight.
Based on the below web site, That's worth over 28 gallons of a good lager beer... :victory:
http://www.brewangels.com/Beerformation/Weight.html
I'm already working out how to mount up the kegs, and Keg-erator. :)

Edit*****
Same Cumminshub web site has the info on the 2.8L.
Without emissions it's about 475lbs. So the 503 lbs is probably fully dressed out.
http://www.cumminshub.com/2.8l-cummins.html

Compare the difference between 475 lbs, to the possible 782 lbs of the 4BT, and I can carry beer food along too. :wings:
Now I just hope the price isn't so high, the party budget gets ruined. :elkgrin:

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
(depending on dress) Pretty much says it right there. Could be a bellhousing issue? The 4bt has allot of extra flab. That's how they cast diesel engines back in the day.

bjunc

Observer
Update on the R2.8 Turbo Diesel

Not sure how many people got this email, but I got an email from Cummins back in March regarding the Repower, and figured I'd post it here for those not subscribed to their mailing list. I'm guessing some more info will be come out at Easter Jeep Safari. I will be at Overland Expo West, and will definitely stop by their booth and try to dig up some more info.

Greetings Fellow Enthusiasts,

I’m Steve Sanders, Program Leader for Cummins Repower™ – the new crate engine business of Cummins Inc, responsible for bringing the R2.8 Turbo Diesel to market.

First of all, thank you. You received this note because you already either completed the Cummins Repower survey or signed up online to be notified when these engines are available for purchase. Your voice brought this program to life and I am grateful for that. The entire Cummins team is thrilled with the overwhelmingly positive response from enthusiasts like you from all over the world.

Every day we are asked, “When can I buy the R2.8?” and, “How much will it cost?” While we aren’t quite ready to announce those details yet, I assure you our team is working tirelessly to perfect our R2.8 Turbo Diesel package based on your feedback, in order to live up to your expectations for Cummins quality.

As explained in the formal announcement of Cummins Repower at the 2016 SEMA Show, our start of sales date is dependent upon emissions certification. We will only launch once we can provide customers clear guidance as to which vehicle vintage and weight class our certifications will cover. Cummins Repower’s most important objective is to offer enjoyable, reliable and compliant engines to keep your Repowers on the road or trail for years to come, and eliminate the confusion at the license branch and smog referee.

I have had the distinct pleasure of driving many of our test vehicles thousands of miles in many different configurations over the past several years, and I plan to be first in line to buy one. When it comes to what you would expect from a Cummins, the R2.8 does not disappoint – giving any qualifying vehicle a turbo-charged diesel breath of new life.

There will be a few Cummins R2.8 test vehicles running around at this year’s Easter Jeep Safari and Overland Expo West. We hope you will stop by and check them out. We should have more updates to share by then as well.

Also, tune in to upcoming episodes of Xtreme Off-Road on Power Nation TV to watch as the R2.8 Turbo Diesel is installed into a wildly modified Land Rover Defender 90 by host Ian Johnson.

In the meantime, keep planning your builds, posting on social media using the hashtag #CumminsRepower, and keep the questions coming. See you all in the spring!

Very Respectfully,

Steve Sanders
Business Development Manager
Automotive & Enthusiast Segment
Cummins Inc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior