Cummins 2.8L Diesel "Repower" engine kit

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
source https://cumminsengines.com/isv?#overview
Cummins has also put out some videos from RV shows pimping their 5.0 as a replacement for v10 gas engines.

To me that reads like the 5.0 is going to be a crate motor. I called my local Cummins dealer and they said no that they only sold replacement engines for factory options.

Has anyone been given different information from Cummins? The repower might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but a 4 banger isn't going to do what I need. Based off user reviews the XD isn't my huckleberry either.

I thought when they announced the repower program they basically said they plan to offer multiple engines, they are just starting with the 4 banger.
(I might be remembering wrong though, and my internet is too crappy to dig up a link)

-Dan

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Specialized marine units are apples to oranges vs road going diesels.

I can spend thousands more on a 60hp racing kart engine than a 300hp 350 Small Block Chev...

The Cummings 2.8 has been sold as a crate engine in the marine world for yrs its no more specialized than the road crate engine. Marine kit is pushing 30k btw.

My 12hp is super basic its also a tractor engine. As I said no way its in the 8-10k range.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Any info on it fitting in a 2007 Land Rover?

According to what the Cummins guy was saying on the video, it would only be EPA compliant through model year 1999.
Other than than that, it would be a pretty cool setup. :)
You could transplant the diesel used in the Grand Cherokee, and keep it EPA Compliant. It would be pretty involved, and I'd recommend using a qualified shop who will guarantee certification.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
I just received a quote from one of the companies cummins sent engines to for initial development
$27-32k turn key installed
$20k ash for a DIY available date TBD
no other details provided

vwhammer

Adventurer
Ha! not going to get a lot of takers at that price point.
Hell even the upper class folk that might be spending $100k on a rig are not likely to spend $30k on a crate engine alone.
They are way out of the ball park if they think that regular people are going to pick one of these up to plop into a jeep or something.
That's insane.

justbecause

perpetually lost
Ha! not going to get a lot of takers at that price point.
Hell even the upper class folk that might be spending $100k on a rig are not likely to spend $30k on a crate engine alone.
They are way out of the ball park if they think that regular people are going to pick one of these up to plop into a jeep or something.
That's insane.

32k is turn key installed quote....

there is a company in TX putting OEM diesels in US 4runners and tacos, they are in the 30k ball park....
icon is keeping the lights on and doors open with 100k dollars custom builds. 40 prices are past the moon right now (along with what seems like every other old 4x4) I bet there will be a waiting list.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
They sell a few in the boating world but those boats are worth 5x what a 99 jeep is worth. As I said months ago even a 10hp converted Tractor engine for my boat is a $8000 minimum outlay. And the install is far far more simplified over a jeep install.

Your better off picking up a junkyard diesel

MuleShoer

Adventurer
I just received a quote from one of the companies cummins sent engines to for initial development
$27-32k turn key installed
$20k ash for a DIY available date TBD
no other details provided

UPDATE
I have been talking to another company that was one of the Beta (1st 25 2.8's released) builders and we are discussing cost
Their DIY kit will be in the $14-15k range including the new engine with a turn key in the $20-30K range
I am now on the list for one of the 1st lot of engines :smiley_drive:

As soon as we finalize the DIY cost then I will post the details, I am on the fence about turn key unit I know the total cost

TwinStick

Explorer
I'd love to have the 500+ ft lbs of torque in the 5.0 V-8 CTD in our 2008 Power Wagon but don't think i will ever be able to afford it. Super Charger looks better all the time.

vwhammer

Adventurer
32k is turn key installed quote....

Aahh yes I seemed to have overlooked that very important word in that statement.
"Turn key"
Well that makes it a little easier to swallow and if the $14-$15K DIY price point that was mentioned turns out to be true then that is certainly much more acceptable.
Hell I might be able to build my wife's dream Wagoneer that gets better than 8MPG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior