Cummins Dodge Ram with Manual Tranny availability?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Was there a year this was discontinued? If so what year?

I've only ever seen this available in the dually, was that the case or just my sampling in the field?

Hawkz

Adventurer
You can still order a Ram with the Cummins and the Manual trans. I just checked their web site...

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Y'all must've mistaken me for someone who has a dime to spend, and if so would even be in the echelons of society who could visit a dealership :) That said, good news that they theoretically should be available used just a matter of time.

bfdiesel

Explorer
The new 800 ft-lb trucks will only come with an auto from any of the big three and dodge still has the manual just in lower output.
I wish you luck with the used truck search, it took me three months to find mine and I had to drive 4 hours to go look at it. Manuals are out numbered 10 to one it seems.

zolo

Explorer
The new 800 ft-lb trucks will only come with an auto from any of the big three and dodge still has the manual just in lower output.
I wish you luck with the used truck search, it took me three months to find mine and I had to drive 4 hours to go look at it. Manuals are out numbered 10 to one it seems.

This is true. Used to be the other way around on the older Gen Dodges the higher output was withheld for the 5spd and early 6spds.
Now the new 800ftlb is only auto. Id still get the 6spd, seems the better more reliable and fun way to go. IMHO

SChandler

Adventurer
Manual transmissions have been available since they first put the Cummins in the Dodge pickups in 1989. Getrag G-360 5-speed 89-93, NV 4500 5-speed 94-2002 (the 5-speed carried on for a few years after the 6-speed became available, I think it may have been an option into the 3rd Gen trucks), NV5600 6-speed 2000-ish to 2005-ish (switch from NV5600 to Mercedes G56 6-speed was phased in over either the 2005 over 2006 model year), G56 6-speed 2005.5-ish to current. All are available as 3/4-ton, 1-ton SRW, and 1-ton DRW. The G56 is available in the 2007 and up 4500 and 5500 trucks as well.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Manual transmissions have been available since they first put the Cummins in the Dodge pickups in 1989. Getrag G-360 5-speed 89-93, NV 4500 5-speed 94-2002 (the 5-speed carried on for a few years after the 6-speed became available, I think it may have been an option into the 3rd Gen trucks), NV5600 6-speed 2000-ish to 2005-ish (switch from NV5600 to Mercedes G56 6-speed was phased in over either the 2005 over 2006 model year), G56 6-speed 2005.5-ish to current. All are available as 3/4-ton, 1-ton SRW, and 1-ton DRW. The G56 is available in the 2007 and up 4500 and 5500 trucks as well.

This is all you need to know:)

SChandler

Adventurer
This is all you need to know:)

Wait, there's more! The manual transmissions all used a 29-spline output with a six-bolt output flange for the transfer case to bolt to. This means (if my Internet research is correct) you can bolt together any Dodge diesel manual transmission and transfer case combo that you want to! Forum member Route55 did a really nice write-up about putting a G56 in place of an NV4500 here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76756-Dodge-Cummins-NV4500-to-G56-DONE!.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
In '07 Dodge was selling manuals in 40% of their CTD fleet as I remember. I special ordered one from Dave Smith as there weren't any in San Diego.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Wait, there's more! The manual transmissions all used a 29-spline output with a six-bolt output flange for the transfer case to bolt to. This means (if my Internet research is correct) you can bolt together any Dodge diesel manual transmission and transfer case combo that you want to! Forum member Route55 did a really nice write-up about putting a G56 in place of an NV4500 here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76756-Dodge-Cummins-NV4500-to-G56-DONE!.

Thats good info to know! My first thought about availability was "Yep, I think I can find a manual trans cummins" ha

poriggity

Explorer
Yup, finding a used one should be feasible. Although, I'm not giving up my 04 with an NV5600 any time soon. I bought mine new off the dealership lot, and got it for below dealer invoice because it sat there so long without anyone buying it. Fleet manager I bought it from said it sat there for almost a year before I bought it, mostly because it was a 6 spd and molten red, which was a combo that didn't sell great. I snagged it up for a great price, and love my truck. It may take some searching, but you'll find one out there.

jcoleman

In '07 Dodge was selling manuals in 40% of their CTD fleet as I remember. I special ordered one from Dave Smith as there weren't any in San Diego.

That's interesting--I would have guessed a far lower percentage based on my search for one in '06. Ended up driving 2 1/2 hours to get my '07 2500 w/ the 5.9 and 6 speed. Must be a regional thing.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That's interesting--I would have guessed a far lower percentage based on my search for one in '06. Ended up driving 2 1/2 hours to get my '07 2500 w/ the 5.9 and 6 speed. Must be a regional thing.

Don't EVER sell that truck! Unless it's to me of course! :)

Ponyracer

Adventurer
I've got the same, a 07 5.9 6 speed. When I sell mine it will bring a premium. Funny thing is, in 07 I bought it brand new off ebay with 1 click. Window sticker, $41K, I spent $31.7K!!!! Been the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12