Custom aluminum gladiator camper. Vagabond Vault

dubs chops

Observer
Hey guys and gals,

Quick backstory, Me and my some love exploring backroads and camping/fishing. We had started a youtube channel about a year ago to spend time together, (I film and do the lion share of the work and he edits the videos.) We had a 1983 toyota 4x4 deluxe with an 8' bed and a factory Brahma camper that was awesome for camping in. Well it was just a little to short in the cab and I'd get pretty cramped on longer drives.

fast forward to now and we have a gladiator Rubicon, Problem was the bed was too short to camp in and be able to be enclosed. (I Don't like tents) I have trouble sleeping when a bear or drugged out meth head lurking in the woods are only a piece of cloth away from my head. Hence we like hard sided campers.

We designed and drew up our camper in sketchup and then had a friend make us a cut list. Decided the first step was to build it out of cardboard before spending $1400 on aluminum. Here is the first video in the series. Please subscribe if it even remotely interests you all.

Last edited:

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
If you'd have made your proof of concept mock-up version out of Coroplast, you could've actually gotten some time to practice camping with it, as the structure would be able to last a while.

dubs chops

Observer
OK, Finally took a minute to get the second video in the gladiator camper build put up. Hope you all subscribe because the actual aluminum version starts SOON!

dubs chops

Observer
If you'd have made your proof of concept mock-up version out of Coroplast, you could've actually gotten some time to practice camping with it, as the structure would be able to last a while.
I actually thought about Chloroplast, But there is no way I would have driven down the highway with it lol.

LyLCamp'R

Very interesting we have something in common... A cool Gladiator and great project, if you have interest, I have a post in the Jeep forum. Keep up the good work it looks very nice!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200407-222114_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200407-222114_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 66

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
It looks cool, but it seems like nearly 100% of the camper weight will be aft of the axle. Any concerns about this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan