Custom aluminum gladiator camper. Vagabond Vault

Superduty

Adventurer
It's working now.

What blade are you using on that miter saw? I can't seem to find one rated for the higher speeds of a wood miter saw.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Alloy

Is the alum. 5052 or 5086?

Did you look at having the sides/roof formed to reduce the welding?

FYI.... https://bakersgas.com/pages/welding-burns-and-flashes-tips-tricks

**I've been cutting aluminum for years. It's similar to playing with a loaded gun. Not if but when the material will shift and blade catches. I tell my kids the chops saw is the hand chopper. The number of clamps (not fingers) holding the material determines what happens. I have carbide blades that have more than 10 teeth ripped off due to the material shifting when being cut.

Alloy

It's working now.

What blade are you using on that miter saw? I can't seem to find one rated for the higher speeds of a wood miter saw.

Any blade that will cut wood will cut alum. For years I used cheap bi metal blades that we'd throw out when dull. Now that carbide has taken over the market it is better to use (for alum.) a negative rake blade on a circular/chop saw that has a heavy backing for the carbide tooth.

Depending on the size of material being cut you can put a smaller/ cheaper blade on the chop saw.

Cutting wax is good to use. Too much will contaminate the welds.

dubs chops

Observer
It's working now.

Its a diablo metal blade. I think I talked about it in my previous video.
Is the alum. 5052 or 5086?

Did you look at having the sides/roof formed to reduce the welding?

FYI.... https://bakersgas.com/pages/welding-burns-and-flashes-tips-tricks

**I've been cutting aluminum for years. It's similar to playing with a loaded gun. Not if but when the material will shift and blade catches. I tell my kids the chops saw is the hand chopper. The number of clamps (not fingers) holding the material determines what happens. I have carbide blades that have more than 10 teeth ripped off due to the material shifting when being cut.

its 6061, I do need to get some clamps I agree. Don’t want the little to lose any digits. And I am pretty familiar with welding, I have worked in a fab shop for 17 years. back when I was in the pipe shop I got my eyes burned pretty bad by someone welding near me one time. It’s a pain I wont forget. As far as exposed skin goes, I am OK as long as I am just tacking.

Alloy

its 6061, I do need to get some clamps I agree.

It looks like you were fusing (no filler metal) the 6061. If so it's a good way to get cracked welds.

Kick back when cutting aluminum is like getting weld flash. It's not appreciated until it happens. Just hope no one gets hurt when it happens. Clamp one side and make sure to stand on the side the clamp is on. Leave the cut off end loose.

As far as exposed skin goes, I am OK as long as I am just tacking.

The rays coming off a welding arc (especially alum.) are the worst. They penetrate deep into the skin. Cover up or 25 years from now they'll be chopping pieces of your skin out.

Last edited:

dubs chops

Observer
It looks like you were fusing (no filler metal) the 6061. If so it's a good way to get cracked welds.

Kick back when cutting aluminum is like getting weld flash. It's not appreciated until it happens. Just hope no one gets hurt when it happens. Clamp one side and make sure to stand on the side the clamp is on. Leave the cut off end loose.

The rays coming off a welding arc (especially alum.) are the worst. They penetrate deep into the skin. Cover up or 25 years from now they'll be chopping pieces of your skin out.

Using 4043 wire. No autigenious welding. In 90% of the video I was covered up. Thanks though I'll try and do better!

dubs chops

Observer
Well the custom gladiator camper is one step closer to being complete. We got all the Yakima goodies installed. the HD crossbars are BEEFE

ITTOG

It is looking good. Do you have your first yep planned? If yes where are you going.

I am with you on hating to put holes in a roof. I don't care how good it is sealed, eventually it will leave. I will be doing that to mine soon.

I noticed the Oklahoma R3ckless shirt. Do you live in OK. I am from the NE part. What is the R3ckless about.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

dubs chops

Observer
Absolutely, NE OK here too. Just east of Tulsa to be exact. Reckless saints if nowhere help addicts get into treatment at no charge to them or their families. They sell shirts to help pay for all the addicts treatments along with doing yard work and other odd jobs. Check them out. www.recklesssaintsofnowhere.com the founder is a good friend of mine and a former addict himself.

hopefully my first trip will be within the next month. I am hoping to take it down to Padre Island National seashore and do some beach camping and surf fishing!

It is looking good. Do you have your first yep planned? If yes where are you going.

I am with you on hating to put holes in a roof. I don't care how good it is sealed, eventually it will leave. I will be doing that to mine soon.

I noticed the Oklahoma R3ckless shirt. Do you live in OK. I am from the NE part. What is the R3ckless about.

ITTOG

I was a ways north of Tulsa but have been in the Houston area since graduating college. Hopefully one of these days I will get back to that area or maybe Colorado, Utah, or Arizona.

I will definitely check out the website. I may have to get me one of those shirts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior