Custom Slide-in Camper for midsize truck.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
I decided to have the angles/direction of the windows to be the same as the overhead part above the cab. Good idea? The windows are tinted too, but not as much as my truck windows. Next is to finish the bottom bar of the driver side window frame(didn't have enough material) I will buy some more metal soon (1x1x.095) , then i will make the door frame, which i already have which came from the same parts camper as the windows came from.

SChandler

Adventurer
Oh i was going to paint the frame as soon as i am done with it, to prevent rust. Then i will attach the 1/4 plywood on the outside via screws, then Glue on the Aluminum sheeting. Then paint the aluminum to a silver, to prevent oxidation and to reflect heat even more off of it.

I thought you were asking for options on how to attach the aluminum siding directly to the steel frame. In post 40 you indicated that you were looking for ideas for how to attach the aluminum siding and if you needed to use wood between the steel frame and the aluminum siding. I linked you info on how to do it without using wood in between the two metals.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
I thought you were asking for options on how to attach the aluminum siding directly to the steel frame. In post 40 you indicated that you were looking for ideas for how to attach the aluminum siding and if you needed to use wood between the steel frame and the aluminum siding. I linked you info on how to do it without using wood in between the two metals.

I know i did, i was asking for anyideas so Thank you for posting that, i was actually thinking of attaching it that way before without any wood. But i have been thinking about it for the last few weeks(since that post 40), and decided to use wood also. I will probably use your method someday, when i have a larger budget to build a frame of aluminum vs steel. But my budget currently doesnt allow that :D

pods8

Explorer
I decided to have the angles/direction of the windows to be the same as the overhead part above the cab. Good idea?

Usually they are positioned so the sliding part slides towards the front of the vehicle to open (that way the seam isn't exposed to the driving forces head on). The angle of those windows is just an aesthetic thing.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
I am buying 40 more feet of metal right now. Which will be enough for back door, Finish side window, and install the front slider. I currently don't have a rear slide window on my truck though, but when I do, then I will be glad that I put one on the camper.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
the al sheet might work, but how are you isolating al from steel? it might rust really bad in the long term especially w/ condensation buildup in cold weather inside & within wall.

i used a 4x8 al sheet flat on my roof. i bought mine i believe in winter 2006. 20 gauge thickness at $45cad/sheet.

YEAH! I just got a quote of 50 bucks for a sheet of 20 gauge 4x8 aluminum. does anyone know what kind of glue I should use to adhere the aluminum to the wood? I was thinking of just normal construction adhesive. The winddows will also keep the aluminum in place.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Here it is from todays progress.
IMAG0194.jpg

Worked on back door frame, front window, and area to contain my water container.

IMAG0195.jpg

i got this water container from a spare camper (only 8''x16''x24'') But it will be more as emergency water, because i will have a normal ice chest with water bottles. But this will be backup water. You might be confused how it will look, but i will work on this more tomorrow to finish the door frame, and i will have more pics.
My ac unit (A basic 100$ window 5000btu model) Will go directly on top of water container area, just to make you think a little more haha.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
GOT ALOT more done today.

IMAG0198.jpg

Overview of the whole camper

IMAG0199.jpg

View of the back

IMAG0202.jpg

This is how the benches are going to look like. The left bench is narrower than the right one, due to the water container on right side.

IMAG0206.jpg

The orange door is going to be for the ac. Just pretend its a window, same concept, just push Air-conditioner through it once it opens upwards. Everything is just sitting there or clamped. I just wanted to see what it looks like.
There will be a little water spigot on the outside camper that will be hooked up to the water container.

IMAG0207.jpg

Inside look for the back. None of the stuff is bolted, just clamped or sitting there.

Last edited:

Jeremysp1993

Observer
What kinds of things should i install in the camper? Because i want to make the camper to exactly how i would need it, because when its finished i am not going to take it apart to reinforce certain areas to install certain things or to rewire.

I am thinking about buying this Roof vent w/ Fan though http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I Already have a basic one, but i would have to tear it off a camper, and it might leak. And the plus side is that this vent has a fan on it.

And will buy this Fluorescent light though because i will need some kind of lighting in camper. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0415309408&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I wanted to use fluorescent, because i might run alot of this power just off batteries within the camper so it will use less electricity than halogen lights.

pods8

Explorer
Fantastic fans are praised in the camper world. I don't know how well that little fan/vent you posted would work. Not too many complaints from the fantastic fan front though.

If you can swing a couple more bucks LED lights are even lower draw. $40 for a double light fixture from Panther RV down in Vancouver. (They also carry a maxx air fan you could consider in place of a fantastic fan).

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Fantastic fans are praised in the camper world. I don't know how well that little fan/vent you posted would work. Not too many complaints from the fantastic fan front though.

If you can swing a couple more bucks LED lights are even lower draw. $40 for a double light fixture from Panther RV down in Vancouver. (They also carry a maxx air fan you could consider in place of a fantastic fan).

How do you think about the camper so far?
I have heard of the fantasic fans. But I was thinking that I wouldn't use the fan often, but it should be okay. Even if the fan did go out, I would still have a nice vent.
Do you have any links or pictures to those led lights instead of that fluorescent?
I would prefer leds, but the fluorescent would be cheaper. And it would not be easy for me to go to Vancouver anyways.

pods8

Explorer
How do you think about the camper so far?
I have heard of the fantasic fans. But I was thinking that I wouldn't use the fan often, but it should be okay. Even if the fan did go out, I would still have a nice vent.
Do you have any links or pictures to those led lights instead of that fluorescent?
I would prefer leds, but the fluorescent would be cheaper. And it would not be easy for me to go to Vancouver anyways.

Its coming along, any idea on weight so far?

Fans sure are nice, if you're hesitant about spending the money you could just buy a fantastic vent and install that, you can always swap the guts of the fan assembly in later. Just a thought.

Here's the LED's I was thinking of using: http://panther-rvproducts.com/Kaper-II-LED-Double-Pancake-Lamp-L50-0047.htm I'm sure they ship. ;)

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Its coming along, any idea on weight so far?

Fans sure are nice, if you're hesitant about spending the money you could just buy a fantastic vent and install that, you can always swap the guts of the fan assembly in later. Just a thought.

Here's the LED's I was thinking of using: http://panther-rvproducts.com/Kaper-II-LED-Double-Pancake-Lamp-L50-0047.htm I'm sure they ship. ;)

I might get these instead http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Doub...5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
As they are cheaper.

The weight, i am planning for it to be under 700 lbs. Because the frame right now has 200 feet of metal, which is 1 pound per foot. So about 200 pounds and i will add probably 50 more feet of metal.
Some of it will actually be angle iron. THe angle wont be for structural at all, it will be so i can mount the inside paneling, so it will be less than 20 feet of angle, maybe 15 feet. And that is probably .5 lb a foot.
I just purchased that vent that i sent you the link to. It is only 48 bucks overall, which isnt bad.
I JUST bought the vent now, because i have to make the roof around the vent, so it will have a frame around vent also.
I will probably buy more metal today or tomorrow, because i only have 8 feet left over.

Last edited:

SChandler

Adventurer
Have you used 1"x1"x0.095" for all of the framing? If you have, I think your weight estimate is a little low. The published weight per foot for 1"x1"x0.095" square steel tubing is 1.17lbs/ft, not 1lb/ft. For 250 ft of tubing, that means the frame will weigh 293lbs, rather than 250lbs. It's not a lot different, but it means that 700lb mark might be harder to achieve than you thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior