Custom Slide-in Camper for midsize truck.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Have you used 1"x1"x0.095" for all of the framing? If you have, I think your weight estimate is a little low. The published weight per foot for 1"x1"x0.095" square steel tubing is 1.17lbs/ft, not 1lb/ft. For 250 ft of tubing, that means the frame will weigh 293lbs, rather than 250lbs. It's not a lot different, but it means that 700lb mark might be harder to achieve than you thought.

yes, I have only been using 1x1x.095, and i will get 1x1x.0625 or .095 angle just in a few areas(20 feet at max). You are exactly correct. I knew that also, but I appreciate you pointing it out. I just prefer thinking about it being little over 1 pound. I know it will be under 700, since the frame will weigh under 300, which is the most heaviest part.

SChandler

Adventurer
I like rounding off the numbers to make it easier to estimate, too. I just wanted to make sure you knew it was going to be heavier than the estimate suggested. A lot of times the builds around here end up quite a bit heavier than people were expecting based on their estimates. The rounding will get you if you're not careful.:Wow1:

What are you planning on insulating the camper with? That 1" wide frame would really lend itself to using some of the rigid foam insulation that the home improvement stores sell. At least, that's my plan when I get around to building something like this.:elkgrin:

Jeremysp1993

Observer
I like rounding off the numbers to make it easier to estimate, too. I just wanted to make sure you knew it was going to be heavier than the estimate suggested. A lot of times the builds around here end up quite a bit heavier than people were expecting based on their estimates. The rounding will get you if you're not careful.:Wow1:

What are you planning on insulating the camper with? That 1" wide frame would really lend itself to using some of the rigid foam insulation that the home improvement stores sell. At least, that's my plan when I get around to building something like this.:elkgrin:

I wouldn't round the numbers if my weight would be in the thousands, Cuz I would be off by hundreds of pounds.
Yes, that's what I was going to insulate it with, only like 5 bucks a sheet.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Thanks to Ford Perfect, he let me know that I need to switch the windows around, so water won't come through the camper when I'm driving. So I will do that today , which all it involves is removing the window frames, and flip them around.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
Just purchased some interior lights for the inside. They are the halogen ones, but they are 8 bucks total. And at same time, i bought a led bulb kit for like 3 bucks, and that would be equal to a normal led light for 25 bucks. I want this to be a budget build.

I might buy some of these to put in the bottom of the benches so it will light the floor area.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Inno...Q5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3068wt_903
They are only six bucks each, and i just bought one to see how well it will light the area at night. If i like it, i will buy 3 more.

I only want to use leds or fluorescents throughout camper.

Last edited:

Jeremysp1993

Observer
I will be receiving most of my stuff this week. Just purchased the last bit of steel that I would need. I bought 1x1x0.0625 (1/16) I didnt buy thicker (such as the rest of camper is 0.095), because I want save on weight and money, and it doesn't need to be too strong.

pods8

Explorer
Usually they are positioned so the sliding part slides towards the front of the vehicle to open (that way the seam isn't exposed to the driving forces head on). The angle of those windows is just an aesthetic thing.

Thanks to Ford Perfect, he let me know that I need to switch the windows around, so water won't come through the camper when I'm driving. So I will do that today , which all it involves is removing the window frames, and flip them around.

That is what I was trying to tell you to check a couple weeks ago.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
That is what I was trying to tell you to check a couple weeks ago.

Yeah I knew you did, but at the time, I didn't understand what you meant. But he explained it more. YOu could of explained it more also, if I asked you, but I didn't really pay attention.

I don't know when I can weld more, because its my neighbors shop and he has been using his MIG with the aluminum setup. Maybe tomorrow I can weld

At least I would have a way to weld aluminum when I decide to make an aluminum frame camper in the future.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
soo umm...

So what ever happened to you there Bud? Did you just finish the sucker off, and now you are too busy to finish the build thread? ;)

Well, hope it went well, and that we hear the rest of the story.

Jeremysp1993

Observer
So what ever happened to you there Bud? Did you just finish the sucker off, and now you are too busy to finish the build thread? ;)

Well, hope it went well, and that we hear the rest of the story.

I havent been on here forever haha. Since my last post, i havent done anything to it, as the welder that i have been using, is not working. And the sheet metal for it and other materials are really expensive. Wont be working untill like the winter, and i dont want to work on it then because i would have to bring the frame outside in the moisture = RUST.

BUTTT!!! I am gonna be starting on another project in the meantime. It will be a tear drop trailer, but it will be a wooden frame, cuz that obbvioouusllyyy doesnt require a welder haha. So i will start a new thread on the tear drop in the mean time. The camper, will be finished maybe in the spring.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Why not find an existing trailer frame, and build on that? I just personally do not have good feelings about building an entirely wooden trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior