CVT Summit Series discussion

Scoutman

Explorer
Wow, that's the first Tan SS I've seen. I didn't realize they had any that early. I need to post some pictures of ours now that we've take a trip and spent a few nights in it.

jpachard

Adventurer
Do you keep it folded up when stored or unfolded? How has the seam seal weathered?

Yes, I keep it folded up while in storage. The the seam seal has held up well too. The only thing I did was add some more foam under the mattress as the original was a tad soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer
I love mine. I would add grommets to the bottom of the annex flaps so I can use them as a mini awning. I talked to Bobby about that and apparently that is something they are going to implement in future versions. I also want to do a stove jack in the annex to use a Seekoutside titanium stove during hunting season and winter camping. I have changed my foam mattress out to a custom one that is 4" thick with microcoil pockets. Long term, I'll store the mattress inside. I'll always air the tent out and let it dry out if I had to put away damp or wet coming back from a trip.
Here's a link to the mattress. It's extremely comfortable

http://coastlinervandoffroad.com/Roof_Top_Tent_Mattress.php

ttengineer

Adventurer
Yes, I keep it folded up while in storage. The the seam seal has held up well too. The only thing I did was add some more foam under the mattress as the original was a tad soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an issue with most companies from what I am seeing.

23zero seems to be the best with a 3" closed cell foam so it's a little more supportive.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I love mine. I would add grommets to the bottom of the annex flaps so I can use them as a mini awning. I talked to Bobby about that and apparently that is something they are going to implement in future versions. I also want to do a stove jack in the annex to use a Seekoutside titanium stove during hunting season and winter camping. I have changed my foam mattress out to a custom one that is 4" thick with microcoil pockets. Long term, I'll store the mattress inside. I'll always air the tent out and let it dry out if I had to put away damp or wet coming back from a trip.
Here's a link to the mattress. It's extremely comfortable

http://coastlinervandoffroad.com/Roof_Top_Tent_Mattress.php

Does that thick of a mattress effect the closing of the tent? Do you still have room for bedding? Also did you go with one of their stock sizes or did you match the OEM mattress size?

bigskypylot

Explorer
Does that thick of a mattress effect the closing of the tent? Do you still have room for bedding? Also did you go with one of their stock sizes or did you match the OEM mattress size?

No issues at all with folding it. I don't usually keep my bedding in there so I cannot attest to that however with just a sleeping bag laid out, no issues. I went with a 56x78. Then I put some foam over the exposed anticondensation mat to save my knees getting in. I would do 55x78 as the width is snug up against the rods. It's a great mattress. I did a custom length so as to have some space to store things. Works well

bigskypylot

Explorer
And dealing with Mitchell was a pleasure. Service was fast and friendly and he's very knowledgeable about his product and stands behind it

Scoutman

Explorer
Got out again this weekend and took a few more picts.

3f2c62a9298187b55af30638e40f2d08.jpg

2ae9e08b91c1fc9ed961e0736c241307.jpg

810dd2988713dce9ab4fe58a95b32cde.jpg

41635a3a8098738abf5c9a0ad09a442c.jpg

6828d2f66f10056d39092868a18b0cd0.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Romer

Adventurer
I Got a Tan CVT Mt Bachelor Summit Extended series. I will use it only when my Kimberley isnt the right vehicle for the trip . Having quality makes me feel better about it lasting long term. I have a low profile rack and it was a pain to moun reaching the bolts. I am going to swap out for shorter screws. On a previous RTT I moved the mounting rails. Would that be different here due to the Honeycomb base?

Currently has Nyloc Nuts and I can see that being safer, but you can't hand tighten and that adds to the difficulty. Would it be safe to switch to normal nuts with lock washers?

I'll open it up when it cools down

IMG_0128.JPG

Romer

Adventurer
I deployed the tent and played with it. It is a well made tent and the mattress seemed comfortable. I did not set up the annex. I have had them on two other RTTs and never used them.

I will make the mounting setup easier to run the bolts with my low profile rack. Is there a secret to getting everything tucked in so it is easier to pack up? After closing it, I though about a bungy cord inside if there is anything to attache them to? I had to contract the telescoping ladder in several moves so I could close the top and then go to the other side where I could reach the other release switches.

It is a well built RTT. I really like the telescoping ladder. I wasn't sure where the spreader bar goes until I closed it up and download the instructions. Seems like a nice feature. I assume there is an open space on the top of the canopy door?

Anyone have tricks to make the deploy and stowing easier? The fabric is thicker so not as easy as the TJM RTT I replaced this with

IMG_0139.jpgIMG_0142.jpgIMG_0144.jpgIMG_0148.jpgIMG_0129.jpgIMG_0136.jpg

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
Currently has Nyloc Nuts and I can see that being safer, but you can't hand tighten and that adds to the difficulty. Would it be safe to switch to normal nuts with lock washers?

View attachment 407866

If you switch out the lock nuts, make sure to use blue locktite on the bolts, or at least a similar thread locker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Romer

Adventurer
I went with shorter bolts and kept the Nylocs. Man this is heavy for one person to hoist by himself. The other RTTs were much easier to get on and off the truckIMG_0149.JPGIMG_0150.JPGIMG_0151.JPG

Scoutman

Explorer
Very nice!

Yes, there are cutouts at the top of the overhang (extended portion) where the overhang meets up with the tent wall (side with doors). That's where the overhang tension pole clips in. You'll see it the next time you set it up.

Yes, it is indeed a heavy tent but it seems better built than most others I saw at OXW17. Still loving ours.

For me and our Denali Extended I close it and let all the extra material hang out. Then I take all that excess and flop it on top of the tent when I collapse the ladders. I found trying to tuck it all in just wasn't necessary. As long as you keep it out of the zipper when you put the cover on it's all good. I'm standing on a truck bed rail when I'm doing this so it's easier to do than being on the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12