CVT Summit Series discussion

SunnyMcBlock

We picked up a Mt. Shasta Summit series, yes in NEON GREEN, in January. We do love this thing. I won't go into too much detail to all the attributes as there are dozens of "driveway" reviews on the net touting all the advantages of RTTs and specifically the Summit Series. As of last weekend we have spent 40 nights in it. After that much use, I have a couple impressions to add to what have rightly been mostly positive reviews.

Some of the stitching is sub-par, specifically with the rain fly. I have torn off one of the straps at the peak of the tent where it attached to the fly. The toggles that hold the window flaps closed are also pretty weak and I have torn one right off the tent. Just have to be ginger with them. Over time some of the stitching on the tent has begun to stretch and tiny bits of light can be seen in a couple spots where the fabric is stretched over the internal frame at the corners. The USB ports have failed. I have heard from CVT this is s known issue they will send replacement internals for you to install yourself. This requires taking the tent frame apart and seems to me to be more hassle than its worth for the relatively trivial luxury. The zipper for the cover is very robust, which is good, because it still works with all the teeth that have broken off of it. Finally the telescoping ladder is a total piece of crap. Without fail this piece of junk has given us nothing but problems, been the most tedious part of the set up and indeed has finally broken, requiring repair and careful deployment.

Based on the noticed wear and tear on this Summit Series I would not consider or recommend buying a Pioneer series. If the Summit series is showing this much wear after 7 months and 40 nights of use I wonder what a lesser tent would look like.

This is our first RTT and I find myself wondering if roof top tents are worth the cost. That of course is subjective. We purchased this tent as a lightly used Demo from CBI for ~$1700 out the door. I'd say that's a pretty good deal but still its cost us $42.50 a night to sleep in it so far. We have camped the hell out of this thing and still it costs us over $80 a weekend for lodging... kinda puts it into perspective. I hope to get 3 yrs of use out of this tent, maybe 150 nights. $11.33 per night and Id say that's worth it. I just hope it holds up. And I have heard the argument "well whats a $150 ground tent would look like after 40 nights?" True, however on a timeline of 3 years of use I could almost afford to buy 4 tents a year for what we spent on one RTT. All things to consider.

We run this tent on top of a 4th Gen 4runner with a 3" lift. My girlfriend and I are not especially tall people, both in the 5'6" range so it can be a bit of a challenge folding this sucker up. It helps a lot to be deliberate when folding up bedding that is to stay in the tent and to take the time to secure all the window flaps before folding it up. The single biggest game changer has been the addition of a Gobi ladder to the hatch. Its excellent to be able to climb up onto the folded tent to secure the retention straps and zip the cover. I would highly recommend it.

All in all the tent has been a joy to own and use. I don't regret buying it but will think very hard when this one has run its course if it will be replaced with another RTT.

Cheers

ttengineer

Adventurer
Based on the noticed wear and tear on this Summit Series I would not consider or recommend buying a Pioneer series. If the Summit series is showing this much wear after 7 months and 40 nights of use I wonder what a lesser tent would look like.

This is our first RTT and I find myself wondering if roof top tents are worth the cost. That of course is subjective. We purchased this tent as a lightly used Demo from CBI for ~$1700 out the door. I'd say that's a pretty good deal but still its cost us $42.50 a night to sleep in it so far. We have camped the hell out of this thing and still it costs us over $80 a weekend for lodging... kinda puts it into perspective. I hope to get 3 yrs of use out of this tent, maybe 150 nights. $11.33 per night and Id say that's worth it. I just hope it holds up. And I have heard the argument "well whats a $150 ground tent would look like after 40 nights?" True, however on a timeline of 3 years of use I could almost afford to buy 4 tents a year for what we spent on one RTT. All things to consider.

It's worth noting that the majority of major manufacturers of ground tents (Big Agnes, Mountain Hardware, TNF, MSR, etc) all offer a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I've had to replace both a BA and MH tent, and both were replaced with newer models at only the cost of shipping the old tent in for repair evaluation.

In fact most outdoor brands offer this type of service across the board regardless of product.

I find that RTT manufacturers are sorely lacking in the warranty department. 2 years is the standard for RTTs and is the worst in the outdoor industry.

If any major outdoor brand were smart, they'd make a RTT and completely dominate the market. I wouldn't even bat an eye at a MH, BA, NEMO, or MSR RTT because you know your money would be very well spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

It's worth noting that the majority of major manufacturers of ground tents (Big Agnes, Mountain Hardware, TNF, MSR, etc) all offer a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I've had to replace both a BA and MH tent, and both were replaced with newer models at only the cost of shipping the old tent in for repair evaluation.

In fact most outdoor brands offer this type of service across the board regardless of product.

I find that RTT manufacturers are sorely lacking in the warranty department. 2 years is the standard for RTTs and is the worst in the outdoor industry.

If any major outdoor brand were smart, they'd make a RTT and completely dominate the market. I wouldn't even bat an eye at a MH, BA, NEMO, or MSR RTT because you know your money would be very well spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apples and oranges comparison. For example, the most expensive Big Agnes tent I'm aware of is ~$800, Most are more like $300-$400. Still less than half the cost of the average RTT. If Big Agnes or other brands of ground tents were priced and ~$2000 and up I'm not sure they would offer lifetime no questions asked warranties either.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
We already have those high quality tents, they are called EeziAwn, Howling Moon and maybe 1-2 others. If Big Agnes would build a tent on a par with EeziAwn, I wouldn't be shocked to see 2000$ as their cheap budget version.

ttengineer

Adventurer
My point is that it's more than normal to see lifetime warranties in the outdoor industry. There should be no reason that RTTs are the exception.
And until customers start demanding better warranties nothing will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Ah, I do agree on that point. We (consumers) are being taken for granted all too often. I would love better material and warranty in regards to the rtt market.

Box Rocket

Ah, I do agree on that point. We (consumers) are being taken for granted all too often. I would love better material and warranty in regards to the rtt market.
Wouldn't we all as consumers? Everyone would want the absolute best materials, features, construction, with full customization options and no questions asked full replacement warranty for the life of the product, all for half the current cost. But businesses are in business to provide a product and make money. Nothing wrong with that. As long as consumers are buying the products it's a sign of market satisfaction. No one is being taken advantage of since no one is forcing you to buy any given product. If you don't feel a product is worth the cost (for whatever reason), don't buy it.
Good companies still strive to improve their products because it increases sales and makes them more money. If you are confident that you can design, manufacture and sell a roof top tent with better materials, features and warranty than what is currently out there and do it at a comparable price, with high enough quality that your lifetime warranty doesn't sink you with claims, I say go for it. You'll make lots of money. The RTT market is booming right now.

SunnyMcBlock

I should say that Bobby and the team from CVT have been awesome in every way. Even though we didn't buy their product directly from them they have offered as close to a "life time" warranty and support as you could ask for without them explicitly committing to such. I don't blame them for not flat out saying life time warranty. Too many consumers(wankers) in this industry take advantage of generous warranties. I'm not the type of person to ask for a free replacement for something I wore out. If something fails prematurely under normal use then warranty should be considered. If the thing wears out after lots of normal use...well **** just wears out. That's the way of things.

The Mt. Shasta Extended Summit Series now only comes with the Stargazer option and is $2,795.00 +$65 lift-gate fee + shipping. The question is; is a sleep system that you can only use hard for 2-3 years before it just wears out worth $3000+? I mean that's what I paid for my 2nd Gen 4runner a couple years ago and I slept plenty of nights in the back of that and drove it all over the hills. I guess its just subjective and up to the consumer what they want to prioritize when getting out there.

Romer

Adventurer
I still haven't used my Mt Bachelor Extended Summit series as I havent been to a place my Kimberley Karavan wouldnt go since I got it. I got it brand new from someone who won it at a raffle for cheap and couldn't pass it up. I like having a RTT for when I do runs like the Maze or the Rubicon

It was far heavier than the ARB Simpson III I use to own which makes it harder to get on and off. Thats Okay, what I am wondering if any Summit owners notice if it is harder to pack up. The one time I set mine up I didnt notice a big difference, but that was in my driveway

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
I have CVT's Denali Summit Series with the extended vestibule.
I have been looking at the extreme weather cover, which is the cover that goes over the entire tent.
I was thinking that in the pacific NW rains for days that the standard rain fly might not stand up.
I was also thinking that if it snows while we are camping it would be easier to get the snow off the tent with the extreme weather cover.
Has anyone used this cover?
Was it worth the purchase?
Anyone spend a week plus in the rain or snow in their Denali Summit Series?
Any feedback would be great. thank you.
More3.jpgJeep2.jpg

I have been looking at the extreme weather cover, which is the cover that goes over the entire tent.
I was thinking that in the pacific NW rains for days that the standard rain fly might not stand up.
I was also thinking that if it snows while we are camping it would be easier to get the snow off the tent with the extreme weather cover.

Where have you seen the extreme weather cover? I didn't see it on their site. Mine came with another cover for the tent which is the same as the rainfly but with no clear windows...

I was gonna say it's been way too long since we've seen posts in here!

continue-crushing-overland-new-cvt-rtt-mt-denali-5.jpg

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Where have you seen the extreme weather cover? I didn't see it on their site. Mine came with another cover for the tent which is the same as the rainfly but with no clear windows...

I was gonna say it's been way too long since we've seen posts in here!

continue-crushing-overland-new-cvt-rtt-mt-denali-5.jpg

Mine came with what you got too... I called them, they have several extreme weather covers in stock, just not sure if it is worth the purchase...
Looking for someone that bought one and curious as to whether or not its worth it in driving rain/snow/freezing weather etc... Bottom line is it really needed.

roving1

View attachment 548017View attachment 548018

I am curious the annex looks different then mine. Did they redesign the bottom of the doors so they actually zip closed? My annex and tent doors have no way to securely close and it is the number 2 thing I dislike about my CVT. Wind just blows right through on mine as there is nothing but gravity holing the bottom of the door closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12