CYi5's '99 4Runner Buildup

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Just finished reading the whole thread finally. You've got a lot of great parts on here. Most of which are on my to do list as well lol. Like the Rear Icons and swapping the 890s for 891s. The front coilovers, the rear bumper/swingout/sliders. and 285s.
Slow down so I have some time to catch up lol

CYi5

Explorer
Just finished reading the whole thread finally. You've got a lot of great parts on here. Most of which are on my to do list as well lol. Like the Rear Icons and swapping the 890s for 891s. The front coilovers, the rear bumper/swingout/sliders. and 285s.
Slow down so I have some time to catch up lol

I've honestly run out of things to buy without dropping a ton of coin at once (i.e. gears or maggiolina).

Update: Trashed one of the Yokohama AT/S' yesterday exploring the Old Dale Mining District north of Joshua Tree NP. Small sidewall puncture about the size of a dime. Doesn't take long to see $170 disappear :(. These tires squish down pretty far running around 20 psi so i'm not super surprised it happened; I was running pretty hard through a rocky section. I realize it can happen to any tire, any time really...but still..grr, haha. Especially when i've run a cumulative total of around a month in Death Valley without a flat.

Moral of the story is I don't drive a trophy truck; slow down and enjoy the scenery.

CYi5

Explorer
Fridge Slide

I cannibalized the long slide portion of my door system to create a slide out fridge setup. It's a little more convenient at camp and I'm able to carry a third passenger plus gear now as well.

IMG_2261.JPG

I also constructed a cage that fits around the fridge, allowing me to strap excess gear on top and around without impeding the function of the fridge.

IMG_2262.JPG

The straps are held on by footman loops underneath. I still need to replace the sketchy edgestar handles with metal chest handles like others have done.

IMG_2263.JPG

The slides are rated at 100 lbs, but they are still a little flimsy. I hold my breath every time I pull it out, but it hasn't budged yet ;). Dropping $150 on a couple slides really isn't an option.

IMG_2294.JPG

CYi5

Explorer
It seems that lately all of my wheeling buddies have moved out of my area, leaving me to venture out solo a little more than usual. I'm hoping to get out more this spring, so being stranded with a dead battery is not an option. Weight/cost/practicality of a full dual battery setup doesn't make much sense at the moment, so I went for the next best plan, a low voltage cutoff system. My Edgestar does have a cutoff at a certain voltage, but all of my other gadgets aren't so cautious. After looking at a few choices I settled on the PriorityStart! LVD module.

IMAG0038%2520%2528Medium%2529.jpg

A few minutes with the welder and I made a bracket that should last longer than the rubber band they supply to strap it to the battery. The OEM terminal was looking a little skimpy, so $3.49 to NAPA got me a nice marine terminal to work with. I left my lights on to test it and 45 min to an hour later the circuit was tripped. The key must be used to open the door, but then any accessory (i.e. tapping brake pedal) used will reconnect the module. Resetting my deck every time sucks, but ideally this won't happen very often!

And no, pressure washing my engine compartment has never been my thing.

red87

Adventurer
It wasn't too bad doing the swap on my old pickup. Just snip the battery wire, crimp on a nice new connector and stick it on the new terminal's stud. Easy peasy.

RIDEALL

Great idea with the cage around the fridge! Haven't scene that one yet. Definitely going to keep that in mind for my setup:)
Love your overall build, have followed since day one!

CYi5

Explorer
Latest addition to the rig, a Thule Evolution 1800 cargo box. We did a quick trip up to the Lake Isabella area followed by a back road route east ending up in the Red Rocks region near the 14. This trip actually had four passengers in the 4Runner so I anticipated a need for more cargo space. As expected, the 18 cu. ft. of additional space was jam packed with personal gear bags, sleeping bags, tents, and chairs. The rear cargo area housed the fridge, kitchen supplies, and other camp odds and ends. There was still cargo spilling over into the rear passenger area :(...It's easy to see why the 80 series LC is the obvious choice for wheeling with a family. I had been surfing craigslist intently for a 1600, but wound up with an 1800 after the seller listed incorrectly. This was a blessing in disguise as the 1800 ended up being filled to the gills after all.

I added a couple 1 1/8" U bolts to secure the box from shifting while offroad, it didn't move an inch after that. If need be in the future, I can always shift the box over to one side and build a narrow cargo rack for the other. This would be a good option for hauling firewood, etc. (though that rarely happens as it is).

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

DSC_0861.JPG

DSC_0493.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

Last edited:

4RunAmok

Explorer
I just picked up one of those gold totes, worked perfect in a pinch... But bread managed to still get smashed, still need a tote for that to go within that tote! :)

Caoboy

Adventurer
Have you encountered much mud/snow with your set of Yokohamas? I've been in some pretty clay like mud, and they did pretty well. BUT, I was in a little AWD Honda CRV.

CYi5

Explorer
Have you encountered much mud/snow with your set of Yokohamas? I've been in some pretty clay like mud, and they did pretty well. BUT, I was in a little AWD Honda CRV.

No, sorry, I missed all the snow in the mountains this year...

CYi5

Explorer
4.88 Gears

Just finished up installing Sierra Gear 4.88's in the front and rear diffs. I went with Sierra because they have a solid reputation with a price tag matching my budget. Josh at Inchworm had great communication throughout the ordering process, even calling after I placed my order online to double check that I selected the correct parts for my vehicle. Parts and labor came out to around $1300, a common price for a full regear. This is the second time I've pulled the diff's from my Toyota trucks; the extra $300 to have a shop do it always looks worth it at the end :). Gear oil fills are set for tomorrow afternoon. :wings:

IMAG0132.jpg

Sarah%2520601%2520059.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger