CYi5's '99 4Runner Buildup

red87

Adventurer
That's a weird noise. Try disconnecting the fuel pump relay and starting it. Just to isolate the starter

extrmsob293

Hey I got my rear piggyback today and I have to say that these are hella beefy compare to my bilstein 7100. I couldn't even compress them at all. I was wondering if you could show me how put these on because I'm pretty sure that it will be a pain in the ******** trying to put it on the lower shock mount. What position did you put for the piggyback? I don't want it to hit the frame or other parts while driving off road. If you could snap a couple pictures that would be great

CYi5

Explorer
Hey I got my rear piggyback today and I have to say that these are hella beefy compare to my bilstein 7100. I couldn't even compress them at all. I was wondering if you could show me how put these on because I'm pretty sure that it will be a pain in the ******** trying to put it on the lower shock mount. What position did you put for the piggyback? I don't want it to hit the frame or other parts while driving off road. If you could snap a couple pictures that would be great

They are nice units for sure! I seem to remember having to use a floor jack to compress the shock enough to slip it onto the lower shock mount. The reservoir should be facing outwards towards the wheel well, underneath the frame. You'll notice they will also self rotate after awhile, so it doesn't have to be at a super precise angle.

IMG_1685.JPG

Make sure if you drive through acidic mud that you wash it off. Otherwise your pretty shocks won't be pretty for much longer..This is the result of driving near Ballarat after 24 hours of rain and not washing it off immediately. A once pristine California truck now looks like it belongs in the rust belt. Tough breaks..

IMAG0134.jpg

I've since coated everything with Hammerite RustCap, so the undercarriage as well as the shocks are now flat black.

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
Geez how long have you had the shocks for? Now this makes me want to get just the regular shocks

Well if it was only the shocks that were rusted up you could blame them, but you can see what it did to the rest of the chassis too!

CYi5

Explorer
How did the 4.88 treat you? Any improvements?

I get 13 mpg city, 17/18 highway. The stop signs/stop lights paired with the automatic are the real killers. With those numbers, i'm often tempted to switch to something new, 200 miles to a tank sucks.

PATCO

Rust

Bummer about the rust!!! I can't believe it ate the cad plating off the shocks! Were you driving on a lake bed?

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
Bummer about the rust!!! I can't believe it ate the cad plating off the shocks! Were you driving on a lake bed?

It's ok, i'm getting better at not caring as much about outward appearances as I get older ;). No to the lake bed, but it was a road running along the edge of one! The wet road between Ballarat and Mengel Pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12