D vs. E rated tires on F350 with Supertramp truck camper? Are D's OK to use?

Which tire is better for a stock F350 Gas Tremor with Camper?

• Total voters

Trestle

I’ve ridden mountain bikes for years, motos off and on over the years, and driven quite a few vehicles. With Mountain bikes it was always a balance between pedaling the lightest tire you can that was dependable. In the end, with all forms of locomotion, I always ended up at the beefier side due to durability issues. My MTB tires used to weight in the mid 500 grams, and now are over 1000 grams. They are dead nuts dependable, and I can hit it hard without then holding me back. They suck to accelerate though. Having said that tire punctures suck, plain and sImple. They are inconvenient at best, and catastrophic at worst. Think 75 mph on the highway with a high profile vehicle carrying a lot of weight (you’re driving an F350 after all), a tall side wall, and a blow out. BTW I have 255/85R16 E’s on my hundred series. Switched from 285/75 and never looked back. So I agree with you that narrow has benefits. 1” difference in width isn’t that much of a difference when talking about a 37” tire. My vote is durability in this case. Nothing is puncture proof, or fool proof, but like to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible. YMMV

jmjardine

Great info from everyone. Thank you all so much for taking the time.

I think what I’ve decided is to wait and run these stock 35’s until they’re smoked. My main reason for this is I absolutely 100% need a full size spare. And it seems that to get a 37” tire up under the tremor you need Carli’s amazing, albeit very expensive hitch. $3300 for a hitch plus 5 37” tires looks like close to $6k for an extra inch of clearance. I definitely see it in the future but perhaps now isn’t the time. Maybe there will be E-rated/ 10 ply equivalent 37x11.5’s by then!
I just ordered a 2024 F350 and heard on another forum somewhere that a 37" aired down will fit. it's snug and you have to wedge it in there but possible i guess. I plan on running E rated 37x11.5-18

SimplyAnAdventure

I just ordered a 2024 F350 and heard on another forum somewhere that a 37" aired down will fit. it's snug and you have to wedge it in there but possible i guess. I plan on running E rated 37x11.5-18
If there was such a thing…. If you can find a 37x11.50 R18 E-rated tire PLEASE post it. On my 23 there doesn’t look like enough room to for a 37” although completely aired down maybe…. I’m installing an onboard compressor but I still want to carry my Spare inflated. Carli Trophy hitch looks amazing but it’s big money.

jmjardine

If there was such a thing…. If you can find a 37x11.50 R18 E-rated tire PLEASE post it. On my 23 there doesn’t look like enough room to for a 37” although completely aired down maybe…. I’m installing an onboard compressor but I still want to carry my Spare inflated. Carli Trophy hitch looks amazing but it’s big money.
Sorry. 37”x12.5R18 I am planning to go with the Toyo R/T Trail which is “E” rated.

WW Cyclist

I’ve ridden mountain bikes for years, motos off and on over the years, and driven quite a few vehicles. With Mountain bikes it was always a balance between pedaling the lightest tire you can that was dependable. In the end, with all forms of locomotion, I always ended up at the beefier side due to durability issues. My MTB tires used to weight in the mid 500 grams, and now are over 1000 grams. They are dead nuts dependable, and I can hit it hard without then holding me back. They suck to accelerate though. Having said that tire punctures suck, plain and sImple. They are inconvenient at best, and catastrophic at worst. Think 75 mph on the highway with a high profile vehicle carrying a lot of weight (you’re driving an F350 after all), a tall side wall, and a blow out. BTW I have 255/85R16 E’s on my hundred series. Switched from 285/75 and never looked back. So I agree with you that narrow has benefits. 1” difference in width isn’t that much of a difference when talking about a 37” tire. My vote is durability in this case. Nothing is puncture proof, or fool proof, but like to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible. YMMV
Must be running Maxxis Minions!

K9LTW

I'm running Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws on my '21 Trade Wagon (2500 RAM Tradesman with Power Wagon package) in 37x12.5/17 with the D rating. OVRLND pop-up camper shell, built out, steel bumpers, dual swingout with a full-size spare, etc. It's heavy. I have well over 20k miles on them and they are barely used looking. That's a lot of miles aired down on dirt/gravel/rocks, and a lot of miles at 45 psi at interstate speeds. Given I spend a lot of time on tarmac to GET to dirt, ride comfort is a thing, and I'll never go back to E-rated tires if I can help it. Aired down D-rated tires on washboard is also far more tolerable.

DTAdventure

I have the Falken Wildpeak AT III W 37x12.50R18LT 128R on my truck (2022 F250 Tremor). They are rated for 3,970 per tire. I do carry a Supertramp camper on a flatbed full-time. Due to the size, I had the Carli Trophy hitch installed so that the spare fits under the truck. Have about 7K miles on these tires and no complaints. I do air down frequently. I like these tires - long-term I have to see how they hold up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior