Daddy's Jeep gettin' some love.

alexfm

Explorer
Alright, Daddy's jeep is going to be gettin' some more lovin'

"To-Do" List so far:

-Refresh paint job. (After 2 years my $40.00 paint is holding up WAY better than I thought it would) I'm probably going to go with a black and tan color scheme.

-Might finally have a shop look @ the A/C system, too, but then again, I've survived 2 years without a/c so maybe I'll spend the coin on something more pressing.

Are you gonna be doing the paint yourself again? I'd really like to see a write-up about it if you do. Im seriously considering painting my XJ myself too. Dark Green and 100+ degree temps dont get along too well. :D

I hear you on the A/C too. I've had my XJ for about 2 years, and it hasnt work since I bought it. Havent bothered to get it fixed. I've got windows, who needs A/C? :sombrero:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Are you gonna be doing the paint yourself again? I'd really like to see a write-up about it if you do. Im seriously considering painting my XJ myself too. Dark Green and 100+ degree temps dont get along too well. :D

I hear you on the A/C too. I've had my XJ for about 2 years, and it hasnt work since I bought it. Havent bothered to get it fixed. I've got windows, who needs A/C? :sombrero:

haha! yeah, I always get revved up to get it fixed, and then 2 months later after sweating out the summer a bit, it gets cool, crisp and windy and I forget all about it..haha!

And as far as paint goes, I'd be happy to walk through my process. It's very doable, and I swear, while the paint has started to fade just a bit (granted, I used semi-gloss for a suede look), it is rock solid as far as nicks and scratches. Absolutely wonderful from a cost, and corrosion protection standpoint.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Got some good work done this weekend. :sombrero: Thanks, dad!

Saturday:

-Drain and replace: Coolant, Brake fluid(Replaced), Front and Rear Diffs(Front Done), Tcase(Replaced), and Power steering(Replaced)

-Replace two breather hoses from airbox to valve cover, and valve cover to intake manifold (continuing CCV refresh) (Bought and Done)

-New Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires, Serp. Belt., air filter, etc(Replaced all)

Yet to-do:

-Install Diff armor on one or both of the diffs when they're apart

-Refresh paint job. (After 2 years my $40.00 paint is holding up WAY better than I thought it would) I'm probably going to go with a black and tan color scheme.

-Install new ZJ steering tie rod and both drag link and tie rod ends. Have it aligned. (finally..lol)

-New crossmember, Transmission mount (rubber isolator), and possibly a skid plate.

-Might finally have a shop look @ the A/C system,

-solve front sway bar "rub" (Tried a "fix", didn't work. On to plan B).

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
I jumped on this thread ealier regarding the steering upgrade. Everybody presented the exact infomation I needed. I have a chance to grab the components off an 01' V8 WJ. Are these the same dimensions as the ZJ's? I could run over and measure, but I would rather not waste the guys time. Thanks in advance.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Smart move on the steering upgrade BigDaddy... A little heads up from a guy who's a confirmed Mopar nut... Watch out for the 8.25 and don't let it lul you into a false sence of security as being "bomb proof"... I had 2 in 2 different Cherokee's bend on me and I grenaded one in the back end of my '73 Dart Sport 318. They're certainly far stronger then the 35, but the Ford Explorer swap is aot stronger (it pains me to say that cause saying Furd parts are better is blasphemy in the Mopar circle aye ;) HAHAHAHA) but I swaped in a Ford 9" when I blew the Dart's diff and it was a vestly stronger Axle and the Explorer 8.8 (I belive???) is a very strong axle as well. A ZJ D44 would also be a very good swap.

What make is your rear swing-out carrier??? Is it off an older Cherokee (or stock on yours) or is it like one of those "Tail-Bone" set-ups I've seen (can't remember the manu.'s name)

I love the color matching you've done on your bumper, it ties in really well with the factory flairs.

It terms of your suspension. I gotta say, OME has never let me down and WHEN/IF these OME springs go south on my 4Runner I will be replacing them with another pair of the same. Should I switch rigs to say a 60-series Cruiser or some other Toyota, I'll be looking to OME for the suspension aye. Their stuff really IS that good. I'm sure you've seen it, but there's another member here who has a REALLY sano looking silver XJ with a color matched ARB bull-bar on it and he's running OME with great results on his XJ... I'm still trying to convince my Dad to get the set-up for his 98 XJ (Although I think thankfully he's going to swap over to a Tundra... The Cherokee was NEVER meant to haul a dump trailer and tractor like his around HAHAHAHAHAHA) Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there if you're still on the fence aye. Ome proved themselves to me in Australia and again here on my truck over and over again.

Cheers

Dave

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Got my steering

So I found the steering off a ZJ, and picked up the tie rod and drag link. Are the components on the fixed ends servicable/replacable? The rubber boots are shot, and I would like to do the install with everything fresh. Thanks.

88Xj

Banned
You can buy new rubber boots, but if the non-adjustable side of the tie rod is shot, then you have to buy a whole new tie rod.
Rubber boots are a few bucks at Autozone or alike. Tie rod is 60 something last I checked. Good solid upgrade for sure!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Been a while...Just wanted to throw a current pic up. Jeep's been running great. Still my DD, and it just took us out camping, having pulled our new "old" camp/cargo trailer behind it like a champ.
401276_2734642699282_1653774944_2417050_1500452272_n.jpg

ExpoMike

Did you repaint the upper part of the Jeep? Liking the two tone colors over the all black.

BTW, if you hadn't seen, I sold our Cherokee last weekend. :(

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Did a bit of work to clean up my light install after leaving them on accidentally and stranding myself.[Arrrggh..lol] :elkgrin:

Now they're wired into the factory harness using my existing fog light switch.

(Battery drainage issue happened using hella's wiring diagram that uses a "hot" circuit. I know I could have rewired it to feed power to the switched relay from a "switched by ignition" circuit, but once i remembered my jeep was pre-wired for fog lights, I decided to simply use the factory stuff.)

Some benefits, IMO:

-Only powered when headlights are on
-When headlights are on, audible buzzer alarm sounds
-Uses a standard 15a fuse pre-wired into the factory fuse block
-Uses factory illuminated switch on the dash.
-I found some weatherpack type connectors from stock fog lamps and spliced them onto the end of my Hella's. Plugged right into the main harness fog lamp pigtails that were just sitting at my front crossmember un-used, so basically it cost me nothing to do, other than using a bit of solder, tape, and wire protector. :)

lightslit.jpg
wireloom.jpg
harness pic.jpg
switch.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Here's a clearer current picture, Mike and thanks, I like the new colors better, too:
jeep.jpg
RearJeep.jpg
(I might have posted these elsewhere, if so, oh well.) :)

88Xj

Banned
Did a bit of work to clean up my light install after leaving them on accidentally and stranding myself.[Arrrggh..lol] :elkgrin:

Now they're wired into the factory harness using my existing fog light switch.

(Battery drainage issue happened using hella's wiring diagram that uses a "hot" circuit. I know I could have rewired it to feed power to the switched relay from a "switched by ignition" circuit, but once i remembered my jeep was pre-wired for fog lights, I decided to simply use the factory stuff.)

Some benefits, IMO:

-Only powered when headlights are on
-When headlights are on, audible buzzer alarm sounds
-Uses a standard 15a fuse pre-wired into the factory fuse block
-Uses factory illuminated switch on the dash.
-I found some weatherpack type connectors from stock fog lamps and spliced them onto the end of my Hella's. Plugged right into the main harness fog lamp pigtails that were just sitting at my front crossmember un-used, so basically it cost me nothing to do, other than using a bit of solder, tape, and wire protector. :)

View attachment 88229
View attachment 88234
View attachment 88231
View attachment 88232

I need to do this with my led pods however I want my fogs on with my hi's as well..If you click on the hi's the fogs turn off with my factory setup..is there a way around that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears