Day Trip to Calico 2-6-10

red87

Adventurer
CYi5 and I headed up to Calico today during the ridiculous rainfall to have an adventure. Luckily, the rain mostly stopped except for the occasional drizzle as soon as we got there. I had never been before so I didn't know what to expect. That place is amazing! I've never seen such colors.
Our first stop was to do some target shooting as CYi5 was just given a couple guns. We set up a super awesome shelter to keep out of the slight rainfall as we had some snacks and shot the guns. All it takes is two trucks, a 20'X10' tarp and some bungee cords :elkgrin:

DSCF0726.jpg

DSCF0727.jpg

Smallest shotgun shells EVER.
DSCF0729.jpg

Friend shooting the .22
DSCF0731.jpg

CYi5 shooting the .22. One of the few times it actually fired.
DSCF0732.jpg

Once we had shot and ate enough, we continued on our merry way.

red87

Adventurer
First photo op I had showcasing the beautiful color in the hills.
DSCF0733.jpg

Cool little spot with a mine dug a little way into the hillside. I've never seen rocks this maroon color.
DSCF0736.jpg

The aforementioned mine
DSCF0737.jpg

Doing a little rockwalking
DSCF0739.jpg

It looks like I stopped here on purpose but really, I just stalled in a nice spot for a picture :victory:
DSCF0740.jpg

red87

Adventurer
One of the parts of the trail has tons of mineshafts around it. This is the view from inside one of the. We didn't explore much of this one as the one branch the went any distance was oddly warm and smelled like natural gas. We left that one soon thereafter.

View from inside the part of the mine with good air.
DSCF0745.jpg

Cool storm clouds taken at the area with all the mines
DSCF0746.jpg

EXPO sticker!
DSCF0749.jpg

This doesn't look like that deep of a cut but I my rear tire was a good 18" in the air and my truck was uncomfortably tippy. CYi5's 4Runner makes it look easy however.
DSCF0752.jpg

Looking the other direction after CYi5 cleared the obstacle
DSCF0753.jpg

End of our trip in Rainbow Basin
DSCF0755.jpg

We didn't expect to see anyone there due to the rain but we actually came across 2 camps set up. One of them didn't look too pleased to see us cruise on by. My wave was not returned.
Hopefully we'll get some more pics in here once CYi5 sees this thread and adds the ones he took too. All in all it was a fantastic trip and I'd love to go back again.

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Very nice. One of our favorite areas. Thanks for picking up your shells out there. A ton of people DONT and the place gets trashed.

red87

Adventurer
Very nice. One of our favorite areas. Thanks for picking up your shells out there. A ton of people DONT and the place gets trashed.

We do our best to tread lightly. We really do need to take extra care to leave places at least as nice as we found them, especially considering how much of the public views shooting and wheeling. Not doing so is a very good way to lose access to our favorite places.

CYi5

Explorer
Picture%20003.jpg

Shooting is prohibited in the Calico ghost town regional park as well as Odessa Canyon; to the east and the rest of the Calico mountains are fair game as long as you're shooting into a soft backdrop.

Picture%20008.jpg

Picture%20006.jpg

Door Malfunction?

Picture%20011.jpg

Rocky shelves mid-Phillips Loop.

Picture%20013.jpg

Headed up rock shelves, looking back towards the start of Phillips loop.

Picture%20015.jpg

265/75 Treadwrights doin' work.

Picture%20018.jpg

Picture%20028.jpg

Last edited:

stolenheron

Explorer
First photo op I had showcasing the beautiful color in the hills.
DSCF0733.jpg

hope you don't mind, i'm using this picture in a "Favorite car picture of the day" on another site, with photo credit to this thread. the landscape was too perfect to pass up.

the only way that pic could be better was if you turned that 4runner into a Rover :victory:

red87

Adventurer
hope you don't mind, i'm using this picture in a "Favorite car picture of the day" on another site, with photo credit to this thread. the landscape was too perfect to pass up.

the only way that pic could be better was if you turned that 4runner into a Rover :victory:

Blasphemy! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears