December 23rd Dual Sport Border Ride! Otay Mtn, to Campo, to Corral Canyon

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey Guys

Did a run with the local dual sport club yesterday!

Felt SOOOOO good getting back on the bike!

Did 125miles of fast paced dirt!

campocorral003_small.jpg

campocorral011_small.jpg

campocorral013_small.jpg

campocorral006_small.jpg

campocorral004_small.jpg

campocorral009_small.jpg

campocorral014_small.jpg

campocorral015_small.jpg

campocorral018_small.jpg

viter

Adventurer
nice ride!
I am familiar with the area but don't know all the dirt roads there. are you saying you can take dirt roads from Otay mountain wilderness area all the way to corral canyon? or did you guys ride on dirt around the otay mountain / campo area and then jumped on asphalt to get to corral canyon?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
viter said:
are you saying you can take dirt roads from Otay mountain wilderness area all the way to corral canyon? or did you guys ride on dirt around the otay mountain / campo area and then jumped on asphalt to get to corral canyon?

We needed to get on Asphault for a total of about 12 miles during the whole trip and about 5 or 6 of those where to corral canyon down buckman springs road.

If you use Garmin software, i could send you the file i made during the trip

Last edited:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
:) man, I need a dual sport

I hear those husky's are supposed to be pretty good.

I still like the drz400sm :shakin:

viter

Adventurer
Boston Mangler said:
We needed to get on Asphault for a total of about 12 miles during the whole trip and about 5 or 6 of those where to corral canyon down buckman springs road.

If you use Garmin software, i could send you the file i made during the trip

I don't have a garmin gps, but I think I downloaded their software ones to my pc, so anyway - I'll take whatever you have and try to figure it out! THANKS A LOT!

btw, were all these roads truck accessible or were some suited only for bikes?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Mlachica said:
:) man, I need a dual sport

Yes you do! :D

Mlachica said:
I hear those husky's are supposed to be pretty good. I still like the drz400sm :shakin:

Yes, they are.

The one thing i am noticing more and more on each ride is that just about every single bike on the market has plenty of pros AND cons.

Unfortunately, the trails we ride differ so much that one bike is not ideal for all of them. That husky kicks *** in the tight stuff, but on the 45 mile asphault stretch down the 8 @ 70mph with a nice cross wind, the owner was less then happy! My XR650L is a breeze to ride @ 75-85mph, but not a real pleasure when the single track gets tight. Each bike has pretty big trade offs.

Each bike has its pros and cons and if you are serious about buying one, do as much research as possible! Reading the reviews in the magazines stating that the new so and so is "state of the art" and this that in the next thing, doesnt mean that it will be suitable for the riding you want to do.

The DRZ 400 has one of the highest seat heights of ALL the bikes and is very twitchy on the road. Even me, at 6'3" found the DRZs seat height a little too tall. Also, the 400 just doesnt have the "ummmph" for doing the longer rides and riding up the big grades that we usually need to do here in So Cal.

My .02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman