Designing a small high-clearance receiver rack

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I wish I had some sort of design program that would produce images I could share, but my lack of decent descriptive capabilities will have to be enough for now. :D

I want to build a small rack that can slide into the receiver hitch on my Jeep Cherokee, or any other vehicle for that matter.
I want to keep as much of my departure angle, so I will have the 2" tube come straight back out of the receiver to the bumper, then 45 up to a straight piece, and that will be the main support for the mounting surface/platform.
I will carry two 2.5 gal jerry cans in the middle, directly over the main "up-tube" and 2 decent sized ammo cans to store a strap and a few d-rings or whatever else.
I'm going to make some sort of strap to come down on top of at least the jerry cans, and find someway of locking the ammo cans to the rack as well - maybe just run a carriage bolt through the bottom...
I'm thinking about making the platform between 30" and 36" long, with approx. a 15" width. I haven't decided on whether I want little sides on it or not.

I've also been thinking about mounting an axe and a shovel to the rack somehow, but those 2 items are not critical to me right now, so I might add the mounts in later.

One feature I want (need) to incorporate is a recovery point at the base of the main tube. Right now I use my receiver as my only rear recovery point, and I can't lose that.

So, I'm looking for any input on the types of materials (size, thickness etc.) that should be used. I'm thinking the 2" tube going into the receiver will have an additional sleeved tube within it to make it a lot stronger for the recovery point. For the frame at the base of the platform I was thinking 1" square tube, and expanded steel welded to it. Maybe some 1" angle to make a seating position for the jerry cans?

Anyways, let me know what you think!

Last edited:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
One other feature...
I'd like to make it swing down so I could open the rear hatch.

Any ideas on this?
I'm at a bit of a loss how to make it hinge...

jcbrandon

Explorer
A triangular gusset at the joint ought to work. One captured pin as a pivot; another removeable as a lock pin.

alaskaboy

Observer
More work, I know, but..

a two reciever mount is substantially more stable and could also be used to carry a bike. This would also have the benefit of leaving the center hitch open for a recovery point (not stressed out by an extended lever arm) and the ability to tow a trailer. Two inch reciever tubes are off the shelf items if you have the infrastructure to weld them on. Not much heavier as you could cut down on the gauge of all the components.

05liberty

""I wish I had some sort of design program that would produce images I could share, but my lack of decent descriptive capabilities will have to be enough for now. ""
google sketchup , could be what you are looking for

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
google sketchup , could be what you are looking for

Jcbrandon was nice enough to forward a link to the same program, I have it downloaded at home now, but haven't gotten into it yet.
I would have liked to d/l it at work but you need admin. privileges to install new programs --> boo-urns... :rolleyes:

I like the idea of a gusset or outside pocket setup to make up the hinge. I'll try to draw something up and share it here.

I want to retain as much departure as I can with this contraption, so that's why I'm going to stay away from a twin tube setup. My XJ is mostly a 'wheeling rig moreso than it is an "exploring" rig, my family will likely not be present when I'm taking it out.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Ok, so I've played with sketchup a bit and have a VERY rough design started.
I've saved a couple of views, is there any way to save them as jpg's and then upload them to the board?
Or can I email them to someone to do that for me?

gwhipp

Observer
File > Export as 2D Graphic

Or you can send me the file and I can clean it up a bit and post some for you.

This is a rack that I designed and build for my Sidekick. It fits in the receiver and also bolts to the spare tire carrier. The spare is mounted inside. Since it is a soft-top, i don't have to worry about opening the tailgate. It can support over 400lbs and a full-size ice chest will fit inside it.

I have old chain links welded to the frame for securing ropes/netting.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• left_rear.jpg
    left_rear.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 305
  • right_rear.jpg
    right_rear.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Ok, I'll try to upload the quick two shots I have:

Attachments

• Small Carrier rack ver 1 bottom.jpg
    Small Carrier rack ver 1 bottom.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 358
  • Small Carrier rack ver 1 top.jpg
    Small Carrier rack ver 1 top.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 266

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I'm not confident that I could build a rack strong enough to hold both my 33" tire along with 50-60 more pounds of fuel and recovery gear.
And, I still want my departure angle. :D

This will be my first attempt at welding, so I'm going to try to keep it fairly simple. Of course, I have rto buy a chop saw and a welder, so that research has started too. :)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
No Bends for the sake of bends

I'd be looking to build something more like this.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 626
  • rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 639

gwhipp

Observer
Here is a redesign that I did according to specs from Adam.

Attachments

• hitch_rack.jpg
    hitch_rack.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 222
  • hitch_rack2.jpg
    hitch_rack2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 158
  • hitch_rack3.jpg
    hitch_rack3.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 145
  • hitch_rack4.jpg
    hitch_rack4.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 147
  • hitch_rack5.jpg
    hitch_rack5.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 151

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Awesome gwhipp!
That hinge looks like something I could make fairly easily, or at least a variation of it.

I appreciate it!

I went out looking for a cheap chop saw, found a small one which would have been perfect, except it was being discontinued and they had no blades/discs for it... I passed.
I think I'll try just using my 4" grinder and see if I can make some decent cuts. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears