DI steering

H

Hank

Read this, then print it and place it in your Bible.

Rovertym's exclusive Caster Corrected Swivel Balls will return the steering precision to your Range Rover Classic, Defender 90 or Discovery I.
Due to the design of the Rover front axle, caster and pinion angle were previously inextricably linked. Twist the axle up for increased pinion angle and the caster would suffer. With lower pinion angles, driveline vibrations are often a consequence, in some cases, even with a CV style driveshaft.

Now, proper pinion angle for CV style front driveshafts can be achieved to eliminate driveline vibrations with Rovertym HD Radius Arms and the caster can be reset to factory specifications for unmatched steering quality with Caster Corrected Swivel Balls. There simply is no better solution available anywhere.

On lift heights of 3” and greater, match Rovertym HD radius arms with Caster Corrected Swivel Balls for the perfect driveline setup. Eliminate vibration AND return steering caster to spec!

For 2” lifts, Caster Corrected Swivel Balls alone will return your vehicle to factory specifications without causing any driveline vibrations.

We utilize your factory swivel balls, which Rovertym precision machines to match your lift height.

Amen

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The steering is very vague at highway speeds and while it tracks straight any correction with the steering wheel seems more drastic than it should be.

Could be a combination of both worn out components, and insufficient caster. Caster creates a self-centering torque on the steering wheels. It's what makes the truck want to drive straight all on it's own. When you lose that, the steering becomes vague around center. You can't feel the center in the wheel and instead are left only being able to find center by judging where the truck is going.

If the truck seems to overrespond to steering inputs, it's possible the lack of caster is acting with play in the steering, such that the wheels are actually wandering either way once you turn them slightly off center.

benlittle

Adventurer
jeff_wright said:
This advise is great! Thanks. Are these "Olivares" style HD DOM" components custom or what makes them different from say......Rovertracks?

Yea they are custom. Made out of .25 DOM with hand made jam nuts and tapped for RH and LH rover TRE's.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Check the connection of your steering shaft to the steering box.

The aluminum teeth of the steering shaft has been known to strip on the harder steel teeth of the steering box allowing a possible total loss of steering. It starts out with vague steering and play.

Last edited:

roverdoc

Observer
HD Steering

Selling off my Marc Olivares design HD tie and drag rods plus steering relocator with OME damper...drop in. Pm if your interested.

blakesrover

Observer
Having some similar issues

I just put a heavy duty OME springs and shocks on my disco 1 with steering damper in original factory location.

What I have noticed are probably the same things. At highway speeds, I have no vibrations what-so-ever. so i'm good there.

However, steering can be tricky. The best way I can describe the difference since first getting the vehicle stock a month ago, is that it's now very "touchy". Every slight turn of the wheel is felt and it has a hard time staying in the lane. It seems that every slight steering correction now turns into an over-correction in the other direction. It feels unsafe and knowing my wife will be driving the vehicle soon, it is something I will want to address first. Thanks for the input. Not sure what to do with castor.

radius arms? castor corrected swivel balls? truetrac? whats the best place to start?

blakesrover

Observer
yeah..i havn't had any vibration at all...so at this point it's a non-issue.

What i do have is touchy steering. Best example is that when i make a right-hand turn from a stop, i have to correct the turn myself otherwise it would keep on going right off the street. to some degree, that it the affect i'm feeling while on the highway. it's not correcting itself and i'm manually having to correct and re-correct during steer. is this making sense or am i explaining it poorly?

for specification, i'm driving a 98 disco 1 with an OME HD lift, everything else stock (light truck) so i'm between 1.5" and 2" lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior