Diesel Conversions for TJ and/or JK.

dpicard154

I've heard about diesel conversions for jeeps, but have never seen or read any details. Has anyone cracked this nut? What are some options and most of all, is it worth the cost and effort for a CONUS (continental US) overlander?

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
Well, i have been having this discussion with my buddy at banks. the 4cyl via motori has been in the wrangler for a long time. The V6 out of the Grand cherokee might be an option or the 1500 ram. There light enough but the TCM is the sticky wicket. Anything can be done but depends on you Emisions issues and budget. If you want a full mechanical id go with a turbo 4bt and a 4l80 trans with a stand alone computer. Just figure you are going to ditch your whole drive line. I am doing a 6bt conversion on an F350 and it is an everything swap. It would almost be easier to grey market a diesel JK in.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I can not imagine it is worth the effort if you stay in the CONUS. Cost and difficulty of the conversion just does not add up, it seems.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I've done a 4BT conversion similar to the Bruiser setup, but not in a Jeep. Same engine and transmission combination, with more turbo and an intercooler in order to add fuel (and by default power), without adding smoke.
I personally would not do this in a JK. It doesn't make economical, or ecological sense to me.
If you are interested, there are some swaps like this over on www.4btswaps.com.

Now if the 2.8L VM Motori diesel was available in N.A. with more power, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. The 3.0 VM Motori, I'm not so excited about.

aluke0510

Adventurer
http://www.cotybuilt.com

VW diesel. Lower noise and vibration than a 4BT. No need to upgrade the drive train if you have an AX15 already. It is a very well design install, best out there in my opinion. Plenty of power unless you are wanting to fly; which I would then look into skipping the Jeep and looking at jet packs. More power out of it than the 4.2L petrol engine.

Also the Merc OM617 is a popular swap in as well. Only legal on Jeeps older than what you are talking about though.

http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com

To be legal the engine has to come out of a passenger car or equivalent sized SUV which was available to US market of the same model year or newer and include all the original emissions equipment as was installed on the vehicle it comes out of. Be very leery of anything else unless you live in an area where there is no emissions testing, there never will be, you will never move where there is, or never try to sell to somebody in an area where there is... As a result 4Bt's and the like are never a legal swap according to the EPA. Go talk to them not me about it...

There are also several foreign diesels which go in legally too, think Toyota. As long as the vehicle and engine are over 20yrs old... Otherwise it has to have been fully tested by the EPA; which they haven't and you don't want to pay the kind of money for the testing... And/or modifying it to pass.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So they have to rely on some third world country to put some no name euro diesel in our jeeps.

Great insight from an ignorant source. First off, as a member of the EU, Italy is hardly a third world country. Secondly, VM Motari has been in business since 1947 and over the years has been wholly owned by Detroit Diesel, Penske, partly owned by GM and is currently owned by Chrysler/Fiat. I'm sure whatever hillbilly outfit you work for is "no named" to the rest of the world too.

OP- Here is a link to TJ diesel swap done by a forum member. It was controversial, but I think it is a cool swap.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...gler-2-2L-Kubota-diesel-swap?highlight=Kubota

Last edited:

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
One of my best friends is a designer for Banks Power, They have tested the V6 Via motori to destruction under government contract. Lets just say it has a impressive level of survive-ability. Power adders are soon to be forth coming for this platform as well. The motor would be a complete dog if normaly asperated. Most modern "for passneger vehicle" Diesels are designed to work with a forced induction device. A diesel needs to be designed to work with forced induction or the compression ratios and displacement can be a problem. The example is the older Ford/international 6.9 to 7.3 IDI diesels. The banks sidewinder was a great add on but was only a band aid as the heads and piston were not designed to work with a forced induction system.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
One of my best friends is a designer for Banks Power, They have tested the V6 Via motori to destruction under government contract.

Any estimate on when Banks will start selling them, and at what price?

My understanding is you still can't get one, and it's going to be BIG money (~$20k)

-Dan

dpicard154

Thanks for the info all. Good advice. aluke0510, I appreciate the links. Ironically, I have a 1985 Mercedes 300SD with the OM617 Turbo diesel that I'm selling due to increasing body deterioration. The rub is I need it to be street legal when it's done, and the TJ is neither over 20 years old, nor as old as the 300SD for legal swap.

Fargo

Adventurer
I'd love to have that cotybuilt VW setup. I'm not really a VW fan, but that setup looks so clean it could be a factory option. Thats the kind of diesel conversion I would like. Also my understanding is that it is lighter than the TJ 4 cyl So you gain hp, torque and lighter weight all at the same time. Thats a win, win, win deal. Its too bad for the cost of most of these swaps I could buy a 2nd more economical vehicle. Like the whole Jetta the motor came out of. But if you can do all the labor yourself it might be different.
jeeptdi.jpg

Last edited:

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
I put a Mercedes OM602 DE2.9LA (turbocharged, innercooled, electronic controlled IP, year 2000+) into my Scrambler about 8 years ago. Than last year worked with a VERY GOOD Bosch "pump house" and we made a hybrid mechanical pump for it.

Before:
2013mods_before.jpg

After:
2013mods_after.jpg

I'd say the most important thing is to THROUGHLY understand your states diesel emmisions laws, conversion rules... And presume that ANY state official you ask for advice will steer you wrong!
Here in the "nanny state" you can only "replace" your motor with the same year or newer and after 1997 your diesel vehicle must be smog checked and fall with paramiters of the emmisions permitted per the VIN number of your vehicle... Thus a hairy cluster***k!

The other thing about using an older vehicle is that many their computers did not use ladder logic and could be tricked into believing "all is well" where the newer systems will go into limp-mode if anything is out of sorts (Honestly i know very little about control systems, other than thugging my way through the mercedes control without having instructions).

My $.02... Analog vehicles are the way to go!

good-to-go2.jpg

vestabule.jpg

thats a killer set up. down to the wheels.

jpat30

Adventurer
Well, i have been having this discussion with my buddy at banks. the 4cyl via motori has been in the wrangler for a long time. The V6 out of the Grand cherokee might be an option or the 1500 ram. There light enough but the TCM is the sticky wicket. Anything can be done but depends on you Emisions issues and budget. If you want a full mechanical id go with a turbo 4bt and a 4l80 trans with a stand alone computer. Just figure you are going to ditch your whole drive line. I am doing a 6bt conversion on an F350 and it is an everything swap. It would almost be easier to grey market a diesel JK in.

Will you ask your buddy if and when Banks might get around to bringing to market their 3.0 swap that they rolled out for SEMA recently. It was a complete package with transmission and even transfer case and was aimed at jeeps originally equipped with the 4.0. I have attempted to contact them 3-4 times in reference to this and have never gotten as much as a bug off email response from them. Thanks in advance.

rubicon91

Explorer
Bruiser Conversions does them in Tampa FL. They are crazy expensive. 12+ is almost $30k. Others are below from their website and that is for the 3.9L 4BT. Their big ole Brute I believe is a diesel that they used in Moab this year and then was at Jeep Beach.

JK 2007-2011 $20,500
TJ 1997-2006 $20,500 -- --
YJ 1987-1996 $17,500 -- --
CJ5, CJ7, CJ8 $17,500

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
As far as what i have heard, that was a test platform. The VM motor new is insanely expensive so it makes the kit cost prohibitive. Once production in the 1500 takes off, i have heard a rumor that dodge had to add a 3rd shift to keep up with demand for the diesel, there will probably be more available. Much depends on the epa, carb or aqmd rules in your area as to what you can get away with. The mercedes motor that some one else mentioned can be had for 4 to 5 g's with computer and much of the sensors. Its a pretty solid motor and was in the sprinter vans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger