Diesel Heater Ducting? What to use?

burleyman

It varies. 220F or so for my two heaters (2kw and 5kw). The 90 degree deflector below is made from a spray paint can plastic cap, used for seven years. A long piece of flexible duct is handy for hair drying , clothes drying vented to a shower tent or whatever.

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1764.jpeg
    IMG_1764.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

rgallant

Adventurer
I tried to find online what the temperature is coming out of the heater but everything I found was about converting watts.
Mine runs at about 230F at the outlet, I used a hard flexible aluminum hose for my initial connection and it is very hot to the touch. After it hits the black it is fine.

sEYeO6V.jpg

RDinNHand AZ

Yes PVC pipe gets soft and deforms not really melted. The black corrugated/silver pipe they come with is fine. The heater’s housing must be made of something with a higher melting temp?

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I'm doing the same thing.
What I am thinking is either a 3" wall thimble or a silicone tent jack. Double wall thimble is my first choice right now but watching to see if one of you come up with a better solution. Would require making a plug for when not in use.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I found some Flexadux on ebay for a good price. Now I have to figure out how to get it through the wall. I'm going to run three hoses into the camper and one into the cab of the truck.

s-l1600 (11).jpg

HWY395ghost

I found some Flexadux on ebay for a good price. Now I have to figure out how to get it through the wall. I'm going to run three hoses into the camper and one into the cab of the truck.

View attachment 809457
Check out this thread. I included details and pics:

HWY395ghost

I'm doing the same thing.
What I am thinking is either a 3" wall thimble or a silicone tent jack. Double wall thimble is my first choice right now but watching to see if one of you come up with a better solution. Would require making a plug for when not in use.
Not sure if it's better, however It operated flawlessly last winter. Look for my post:

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Thanks, HWY396ghost.

I don't know how I missed your post when I searched.
Angle flange was the term I was missing.

A couple of questions:
  1. How do you connect the hose to the flange? My hose is 3.13" inside diameter, so won't fit through a 3" fitting.
  2. What material are you passing through? I'm going through aluminum siding, 3/4" polyiso, .2" wood paneling. My concern is the heater hose being too hot and needing a small air gap (a la double wall pipe for stove).
Thanks again.

HWY395ghost

Thanks, HWY396ghost.

I don't know how I missed your post when I searched.
Angle flange was the term I was missing.

A couple of questions:
  1. How do you connect the hose to the flange? My hose is 3.13" inside diameter, so won't fit through a 3" fitting.
  2. What material are you passing through? I'm going through aluminum siding, 3/4" polyiso, .2" wood paneling. My concern is the heater hose being too hot and needing a small air gap (a la double wall pipe for stove).
Thanks again.
Looking back at my photos and narrative, I just realized how incomplete the description is… my mind was filling in the blanks.

The angle flange passes through (from interior to exterior direction) a layer of “coin” flooring, 3/4" plywood, then the E250 floorboard. The flange is secured with screws from the interior side.

I have a Planar portable diesel heater that sits outside the van, on the ground, when in use. Separate fittings are used to secure the interior hose and the exterior hose to the angle flange. Fortunately, Planar offers a variety of hose couplers, adapters, and reducers in different diameters.

A Planar coupler, built up with a few wraps of heat tolerant tape, fits snugly into the exterior end of the angle flange for a friction fit that works great. The coupler is connected to a Planar hose adapter; the two are held secure with a couple of ring pins. The hose adapter is connected to the Planar heater hose.

On the interior, a Planar coupler fits perfectly into the angle flange opening, after the detents have been filed off.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior