Diesel News: POST HERE

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
spencyg said:
........ Supposedly there is some issue with International and some exclusivity promised made many decades ago, but it sounds like things are still going forward with LR.

Spence
I first started hearing those rumbles 2 years ago. FEV reportedly had a contract to develop the replacement for the Navistar engine. I would have expected more to have come from it by now, but I've no knowledge of the speed with which Detroit moves.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
ntsqd said:
I would have expected more to have come from it by now, but I've no knowledge of the speed with which Detroit moves.

Think a cross between a slug and a sloth, then throw it into a freezer. Thats about how fast the automotive industry moves when in high gear. My days in the industry and numbered.

Spence

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Kermit said:
Nice numbers, not too little, not too much power.
Not that I am disagreeing with you but that is an absolute ton of power.. More power than early Dodge Cummins pickups, for what its worth...

Clutch

<---Pass
dieselcruiserhead said:
Not that I am disagreeing with you but that is an absolute ton of power.. More power than early Dodge Cummins pickups, for what its worth...

A little much on the torque, horse power is about right for a 1/2 ton.

That in a Tacoma would be sweet!...might twist the frame apart though...:D...and drive shafts, and axles, fry clutches...and...

The new Tacoma's are what?...240 hp?...260's for torque?...make that an even 300 on both ends, would be a nice little stump puller, yes?

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm not disagreeing that this is lots of power and torque, I would just say I don't think it's too much.

The early Dodge/Cummins were in fact 400 lb-ft. and 160-HP. A little light on HP, but there was lots more HP and torque available for those that wanted to turn up them up.

I love my little V8 in the Runner, but if it had an extra 100 lb-ft. with everything else the same I would like it even more. HP could stay the same, or 300 as suggested above. I would just say, that having a bit more than 300 lb-ft or torque (what I have now with a V8, though not at 1500 RPM) would be nice. The ring & pinions could stay pretty high and MPG could be pretty good running empty.

My old 1977 & 1978 Scouts had 345 c.i. V8s that made about 300-lb.ft. (247 - 292 lb.ft. depending the version) and a low 144-163 HP, with a 2-bbl. carburetor. I think we can ask and hope for 100 extra HP and torque for the last 30-years :) The MPG was poor.

Kermit said:
A little much on the torque, horse power is about right for a 1/2 ton.

That in a Tacoma would be sweet!...might twist the frame apart though...:D...and drive shafts, and axles, fry clutches...and...

The new Tacoma's are what?...240 hp?...260's for torque?...make that an even 300 on both ends, would be a nice little stump puller, yes?

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
diesel HP is way different.. My last diesel conversion had 120hp and 305 ft/lbs of torque and screamed up the big freeway grades in 5th gear with no issues... Feels like a V8 on the freeway with a borderline unstallable wall of torque you can't even brake through at low RPMs, you can idle up anything in front of you at 400-650 rpms. 250hp and over 400ft lbs will feel very very powerful, much more than your average V8...

haven

Expedition Leader
Nissan without a light duty diesel...for now

Ford, Chevy and Dodge have all announced plans to add a smaller diesel to their light pickup and SUV lines. Most will appear in mid to late 2009 as 2010 models.

Nissan's Titan pickup and Armada SUV need a more fuel-efficient engine to stay competitive. So Nissan held discussions with Navistar about the possibility of using the the new Navistar VT275 V6 diesel (4.5L, 200 hp, 440 ft lbs) in the full-size Titan pickup. But these talks ended without reaching an agreement.

The reason may be that Nissan is losing money on slow Titan and Armada sales. Nissan management is trying to decide if they should drop out of the full size pickup and SUV market, or sell re-badged versions of the Dodge Ram pickup.

If Nissan chooses to sell re-badged Dodges, that could mean that trucks running the new Cummins V6 (4.2L, 270 hp and 420 lb-ft) could be available through your Nissan dealer.

Those new folks running Chrysler also made a deal with Volkswagen to provide VW dealers with a modified version of the highly regarded Town and Country minivan. What's next, re-badged Vipers for Kia?

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
Navistar to buy GMC medium duty truck line

Autoblog is reporting that GM has agreed to sell its medium duty truck business (the Topkick and Kodiak models) to Navistar. The GM Duramax diesel will be replaced with Navistar subsidiary International's VT365, the same engine Ford calls the Powerstroke.

The advantage to Navistar in this arrangement is clear. With Ford and International taking turns filing lawsuits against one another, it's only a matter of time before Ford turns to another engine manufacturer. This deal gives International a new platform for their engines.

I think that GM will continue to sell the VT365-powered Topkick. Navistar will probably sell the trucks under its International brand name, too.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
diesel coming to Toyota

On 12 January at the Detroit Auto Show, Toyota officials announced that clean-diesel V-8 versions of the Tundra pickup and Sequoia SUV will be available for sale within the next 24 months. No word about fitting this engine into the Land Cruiser for North America.

The engine used will likely be a variant of the 4.5L twin turbo V8 that Toyota installs in the Land Cruiser outside North America. In Australian trim, the 4.5L V8 diesel puts out 480 lb ft (650 nm) of torque. That's 20% more torque than the current Toyota 5.7L V8 gas engine produces. Power ratings may decline a bit due to the effect of USA emissions controls.

Chevrolet, Dodge and Ford previously announced plans to place similar V8 diesels in their full size pickups and SUVs by 2010. GM has a 4.5L Duramax designed with Isuzu, Ford a 4.4L diesel of their own design (goodbye, International!), Dodge has two options developed by Cummins (4.2L V6 and 5.3L V8 diesels). These "light duty" diesels are 400 to 500 lbs lighter than the "medium duty" 6+L diesels maufacturers place in their heavy duty pickups today.

Chip Haven

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I caught that this morning, that is just awesome... There have been rumors of it for years and nice to see it finally happening. It was originally supposed to happen this year (2008).

Sweet Mother of Mercy! Audi R8 Diesel. 500 hp, 737 lb-ft of torque, 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, over 186 mph top speed, and still pulls in 24 mpg! INSANE! I want one... :drool:

Bjorn

GaryMc

Explorer
haven said:
On 12 January at the Detroit Auto Show, Toyota officials announced that clean-diesel V-8 versions of the Tundra pickup

Chip Haven

Can the Tacoma be far behind?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger