Diesel News: POST HERE

I've got my local BMW dealer lady "bugging" BMW USA re a customer that wants a M550xd. It would be a nice daily driver for me.
The X5 35d is for my wife. Right now I drive an 01 325xi wagon to work.
Also I'm on the waiting list for a Proffitt's HZJ79 pickup, with lockers etc etc. Any thoughts about turbo vs. nat. aspirated with a rebuilt 1HZ engine?? 4.10 gears, 33 or 34" tires, H55F.

Charlie

haven

Expedition Leader
Mercedes will install its 2.1L four cylinder turbodiesel in the company's small SUV, the GLK. Paired with a 7 speed transmission and stop-start technology*, the small diesel should produce very good mpg numbers. A 4Matic all wheel drive system will be an option. The GLK with 2.1L turbodiesel will be called the GLK 250 BlueTec. It will be available early in calendar year 2013.

The 2.1L diesel is rated to produce 369 ft-lb of torque. That's down from the torque produced by the six cylinder 3.0L turbodiesels from Mercedes, BMW and VW/Audi. But it should be enough to make the GLK fun to drive.

*Stop-start refers to the vehicle's ability to shut off the engine when waiting at a traffic light, then start up automatically when you release the brake and press the accelerator.

haven

Expedition Leader
According to the Detroit Free Press, Ford just announced that the new full size Transit van will have a diesel engine option. Ford didn't say which diesel engine would be used. In Europe, the Transit can be purchased with several diesel engines, the largest of which is a 3.2L inline 5 cylinder. Ford didn't say when the diesel would be available in the Transit, either.

The other announced engine option for the Transit is the EcoBoost V6 gas engine, which has 400+ ft-lb of torque, and has proven to be very popular in the F150 pickup. I'm guessing the diesel will have smaller displacement and less torque, and be turned for maximum mpg.

Let's hope enough buyers choose the diesel. That would encourage Ford to offer the same diesel option in other car and truck models.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120327/BUSINESS0102/120327046/1014/business01

haven

Expedition Leader
Autoblog Green has another story about diesel technology today.

Ford outfitted a Fiesta with a 1.6L turbodiesel, then added stop-start technology, regenerative brakes, some aerodynamic aids, and low rolling resistance tires. Resulting fuel economy in the EU tests: 3.3L/100km. That's 71 mpg (US gallons).

In this application, the 1.6L diesel produces about 150 ft-lb of torque. The Ford Fiesta sold in USA has a 1.6L Duratec gas engine that produces 112 ft-lb at 5000 rpm, and is rated at 38-40 mpg highway by the EPA. Sounds to me like the turbodiesel would be considerably more fuel efficient, and more fun to drive.

Ford is starting production of the diesel Fiesta as part of the company's ECOnetic Technology initiative. It will be interesting to see how much Ford charges for the special equipment that helps produce such impressive mpg numbers.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Autoblog Green has another story about diesel technology today.

Ford outfitted a Fiesta with a 1.6L turbodiesel, then added stop-start technology, regenerative brakes, some aerodynamic aids, and low rolling resistance tires. Resulting fuel economy in the EU tests: 3.3L/100km. That's 71 mpg (US gallons).

In this application, the 1.6L diesel produces about 150 ft-lb of torque. The Ford Fiesta sold in USA has a 1.6L Duratec gas engine that produces 112 ft-lb at 5000 rpm, and is rated at 38-40 mpg highway by the EPA. Sounds to me like the turbodiesel would be considerably more fuel efficient, and more fun to drive.

Ford is starting production of the diesel Fiesta as part of the company's ECOnetic Technology initiative. It will be interesting to see how much Ford charges for the special equipment that helps produce such impressive mpg numbers.

I was wondering how a non hybrid used regenerative breaking so I went and read the press release. Ford calls it Smart Regenerative Charging It turns out to be nothing more than bumping up the charge voltage of the alternator when breaking and decelerating which by itself isn't overly impressive but if they can vary charging based on whether the rig is accelerating for decelerating it probably helps a bit. Sub 4l/100km is pretty good from a rig which has all the features and comforts that this one does. Doesn't look bad for an econobox either.

haven

Expedition Leader
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/02/21/volvo-details-the-v60-plug-in-hybrid-ahead-of-geneva-debut/

Volvo is ready to put the V60 diesel-electric hybrid into production. Distribution will be limited to Europe at first. No price was announced.

Some specs: Turbo 2.5L straight 5 cylinder diesel engine driving the front wheels, electric motor powering the rear wheels, combined torque 450 ft-lb, 0-60 in less than 7 seconds, through-the-road AWD, plug-rechargeable battery, 32 mile range on electricity only.

haven

Expedition Leader
Porsche has released details for the 2013 Cayenne diesel SUV. The 3.0L turbodiesel is the same engine used in the VW Tourareg and Audi Q7 SUVs, and produces 405 ft lb of torque. Using a 7 speed automatic and all wheel drive, the diesel Cayenne will be rated at 20 mpg city, 28 mpg highway, according to Porsche. The diesel Cayenne price will start at $56K.

haven

Expedition Leader
diesel vehicles in USA, Spring 2012

Here's the list of diesel-powered passenger cars and light trucks available now (or soon) in USA. Did I miss any?

Passenger cars

announced, coming in 2013
Chevrolet Cruze
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mazda CX-5
Mercedes GLK 250 BlueTEC

Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Audi A3 TDI 2.0 Premium
Audi Q7 TDI 3.0 Premium
BMW 335d
BMW X5 xDrive35d
Mercedes-Benz E350 BlueTEC