Disco reliable daily driver?

Viggen

Just here...
It doesn't look that big to me. 33's and roof rack are the only thing I don't have on mine.

What motor do you have? Its a D2 so Im thinking a 4.6 which is leaps and bounds ahead in engine management than my 14 CUX "hotwire" system. 3.9's are notorious for drinking fuel. The 255/85 MTs are heavy as hell, 4" of lift, heavy ARB and Warn hanging off the front, rack, lamps, interior weight, etc... Adds up to a lot of weight for whats probably now about 150hp (110k or so miles) to pull around. 12mpg isnt that bad. Im happy at that number. Well I wouldnt classify it as happy but its not THAT bad for what it is. I drive very lightly too. Im slow boat to China pulling away from stop lights and coast coming to them. Build momentum on downhills so the uphills dont require shifting. All that good stuff. Ive also found that midgrade, for some reason, is better in it than premium. My mileage actually went down with premium. It was weird but whatever. Midgrade saves me a few bucks and I net decent mileage for the size.

People look at me odd when I get in and out of it as it is my daily driver. Tie, sweater vest, etc... getting out of a large truck doesnt compute. Its even better when Im wearing one of my lighter, like my pink one, shirt and tie. It gets looks on its own merits but add that in and its an attention grabber.

I love my D1 and its actually now my only, drivable vehicle. Tempting fate, maybe but shes dead reliable and I would drive it across the country tomorrow with nary a worry. Keep up on the PM and youll be fine. The beauty of having an early one is not everything electronic is interconnected. My ECU isnt intertwined with the body computer, etc... Its a damn easy fix really. I might tend to replace perfectly good things right now in my stage of ownership but its because Im wary of PO's on used vehicles. Everything is a question mark in terms of reliability until I have laid hands on it and know for a fact its up to the task.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
What motor do you have? Its a D2 so Im thinking a 4.6 which is leaps and bounds ahead in engine management than my 14 CUX "hotwire" system. 3.9's are notorious for drinking fuel. The 255/85 MTs are heavy as hell, 4" of lift, heavy ARB and Warn hanging off the front, rack, lamps, interior weight, etc... Adds up to a lot of weight for whats probably now about 150hp (110k or so miles) to pull around. 12mpg isnt that bad. Im happy at that number. Well I wouldnt classify it as happy but its not THAT bad for what it is. I drive very lightly too. Im slow boat to China pulling away from stop lights and coast coming to them. Build momentum on downhills so the uphills dont require shifting. All that good stuff. Ive also found that midgrade, for some reason, is better in it than premium. My mileage actually went down with premium. It was weird but whatever. Midgrade saves me a few bucks and I net decent mileage for the size.

People look at me odd when I get in and out of it as it is my daily driver. Tie, sweater vest, etc... getting out of a large truck doesnt compute. Its even better when Im wearing one of my lighter, like my pink one, shirt and tie. It gets looks on its own merits but add that in and its an attention grabber.

I love my D1 and its actually now my only, drivable vehicle. Tempting fate, maybe but shes dead reliable and I would drive it across the country tomorrow with nary a worry. Keep up on the PM and youll be fine. The beauty of having an early one is not everything electronic is interconnected. My ECU isnt intertwined with the body computer, etc... Its a damn easy fix really. I might tend to replace perfectly good things right now in my stage of ownership but its because Im wary of PO's on used vehicles. Everything is a question mark in terms of reliability until I have laid hands on it and know for a fact its up to the task.

I hear you on the weird looks. I get lots of weird looks getting out of my truck. I have a fund that I manage and own a side business. Those of you on here that know me know how odd I look to be driving a lifted rover. Let alone wearing a 3 piece suit and French cuffs everyday.

-Sam

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've got an ARB too, and the rear bumper is pretty heavy. And a light bar with lights, but not a full rack.

Anyway, not criticizing, just surprised.

Yes, I have the 4.6L. I do believe that it helps when hauling this load, I'm running closed loop most of the time. A smaller engine would be running open loop (rich) more often.

But I've been getting a P0130 since the transmission change, at which time I also reset the adaptive values. I figured it just needed to relearn the aged O2's. Nope, keeps coming back. Yesterday I looked at the Scangauge and saw the Long Term Fuel Trim on Bank 1 was +25%, and the O2 on Bank 1 was pegged at 0.1V. So, it looks like it's really dead. I was a little disappointed in my milage on the last two trips I took, but it should get better now, consider it has been overfueling by 25% on one bank.

Hope I haven't damaged the cat.

Scott Brady

Founder
I get 17-18 mpg consistently on the highway with my DI 5-speed. I could get almost 20 when stock and traveling on highways instead of interstate (55-60mph speeds).

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yup, I get 18 cruising in my truck as currently configured without the trailer.

Back to the OP's question, it first needs to be determined what model year you're talking about. The D2's electrical systems are pretty much all German. The majority of the parts are Bosch. In fact, many of the components cross-reference to other European vehicles like Audi, BMW and Mercedes. I expect those systems to have failure rates pretty comparable to those other marques (take that how you will).

You are left with a few Land Rover peculiarities. Namely, potential leaking gaskets and seals that seems to be a hallmark of the British vehicle engineering, and the possibility of getting a slipped liner in the block. Is the occurance of that particular critical defect worse than others (BMW oil pump failures, Toyota frame rust, etc etc.... I'm not sure if anyone could say.)

Howski

18 mpg!? I get about 10-11 around town, maybe 15 highway @ 75. I don't race around either, I think next time I will go to a smaller tire. Mine really gets bogged down on hills and has to downshift more than it should

Edit: I just checked my air filter, it was completely black. Replaced it with a new one, that definately wasn't helping at all

Last edited:

Green96D1

Explorer
i daily Drive mines as well and it has been reliable for me. It's not easy to drive around with 5" inches of lift with 33" Mudders and lower gears but im so use to it that it feels right for me.:victory: also I use to drive 70 miles a day and it never broke on me. Discoveries area blast to own and drive and i get weird looks too!.

kjp1969

Explorer
I had the same budget when I bought my '95 Bronco about 3 years ago. Now I have less than $5k into it (minus the roll cage), and it's reliable enough to daily drive.

On that budget, I considered the price of parts and the fact that I wanted to do a lot of PM and get it in very good mechanical condition. $5k got me the truck, new carpet, most of a new cooling system, a major tuneup, serpentine belt, a transmission service, and new steering components (less the steering box), ball joints, brakes, fuel pump/sender/filter and an alignment.

A Bronco is basically an F150 pickup, and every gardener in So Cal drives one of those so the parts have to be cheap. New calipers = $40. Radiator = less than $200. And it goes on, and on. I would rather have a land cruiser or land rover, but the budget just didn't support one plus all the work it would need.

Check Craigslist, and you'll see lots of Broncos with 250k+ miles on them. They don't have the overlanding pedigree, but they're worthy in their own way.

Edit: MPG isn't great, but with 31" tires, 75mph and the a/c on full blast over 300 miles of highway driving I got 13mpg. Mixed city is more like 12.

Last edited:

mountainsoul

Adventurer
'02 Disco, 12-14mpg, 48K, no issues since purchased new.
'08 Range Rover, 14-15mpg, 18K, no issues since purchased new.
Not bad reliability for two vehicles sporting the infamous LR badge.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I haven't had too many problems not caused by extreme use. A MAF sensor, front driveshaft (questionable cause), some 3 Amigos, and an O2 sensor. Oh, and a minor coolant leak just requiring a new hose and clamp.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I daily drive my '95. With the RTT on it I get 14 to 15mpg with mellow street driving. I notice though, I tend to not drive as efficienctly as the Borla exhaust. Sounds so good, I seem to hang on to the revs a bit more a lot just because I enjoy the sound. :D As a daily driver it is a great vehicle and has a nice ride and comfy ergonomics.

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
18 mpg!? I get about 10-11 around town, maybe 15 highway @ 75. I don't race around either, I think next time I will go to a smaller tire. Mine really gets bogged down on hills and has to downshift more than it should

Edit: I just checked my air filter, it was completely black. Replaced it with a new one, that definately wasn't helping at all

If you decide to move down tire sizes if you have 255/85 tires I may be interested in them.

Viggen

Just here...
Well, Im glad that Im not the only one in the 10 to 12 mpg world. It seems that 18+, with exception to diesel power, is the exception rather than the rule. Yes, the MPG sucks but I wouldnt drive any other truck. Its maneuverable, nimble for its size, GREAT seating position yielding spectacular visibility and pretty damn reliable. Just keep up with the preventative maintenance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12