Discovery rear door tables

RBBailey

Observer
Very nicely done. But I've got to ask.... do you really need the hydraulics? I mean, other than hydraulics are super cool.

I am very tempted to try a copy of this design (a lot like Craig's at NWOLS) but I would just use cables to hold the table horizontal, then a latch of some kind for when it is folded up.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Very nice looking table! I want to make one myself, but I've got the optional Harman Kardon stereo package, and that includes a subwoofer in the rear door. I'll have to figure something out.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Very nicely done. But I've got to ask.... do you really need the hydraulics? I mean, other than hydraulics are super cool.

I am very tempted to try a copy of this design (a lot like Craig's at NWOLS) but I would just use cables to hold the table horizontal, then a latch of some kind for when it is folded up.

The nice thing about the hydraulic system is it keeps the table steady and secure, in it's unfolded position as well as taking a little bit of the burden off the hinges when it is folded up. I would also think that unless you used some type of soft rope the sound of the cable slapping would get old.

Steve Rupp

Observer
why in the world would you want chains that will rattle, catch on stuff, and just look like absolute hell? if you're going to spend the time making something like this why would you chince out on something like that? What a waste.

clalor

Observer
Or you could have asked for my pattern. I mean, since you're local and all.:sombrero:

I just might take you up on that. I did a little work this weekend and I'm not real happy with the way things are going together with the current panel.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Very nice looking table! I want to make one myself, but I've got the optional Harman Kardon stereo package, and that includes a subwoofer in the rear door. I'll have to figure something out.

Just remove it. I did, hardly notice it's gone. There's no bass either way. ;)

Red Coat

Ben,

Have you considered making one for a Defender (maybe with a cut out around the lower door hinge?

Paul

Disco2Guy

Observer
I am most curious about the air/gas spring hinge used for the project. Do you have a part number and place to purchase them? I'd like to make more of a light duty worktable than a cooking table, mainly for grease and fire hazard reasons. I found a site online that seemed like they carried what was needed but offered no assistance in picking the right air spring for liability reasons.

b jeepin

Adventurer
maybe not?

i decided to do up a rear door shelf setup as well in my 95 disco, i wanted to keep the rear speakers though....so i did. also setup some extra's back there!

sneak peak..
DSCF4443.jpg

b jeepin

Adventurer
Where's the source?

What's the capacity?

Does it have a pump or is it gravity fed?

for now it is set up as a gravity feed from one of the soft camping water jugs on the roof. i have clear pvc line coiled in the door that pulls out and hooks to the bag on the roof. i also added a 12volt outlet by the shelf area as well. i was really just wingin it but it turned out ok, its a bit ugly when closed up for sure but functionality is key. i may change it up later but for now it works good. i have a few pictures to share

products.asp

DSCF4438.jpg

DSCF4440.jpg

DSCF4443.jpg

DSCF4457.jpg

DSCF4461.jpg

astateofmike

Observer
You guys are so imaginative...me, I took the easy way out and got a RRC...it came built in with a rear table/seat/step.....and can hold my weight:sombrero:

Scott Brady

Founder

That looks like a lot of hard work, but it does seem unnecessarily complex.

If your water source is on the roof, do you need to hook the hose up each time?

It seems like it would be super easy to just connect the hose and then use a magnet to the rear bumper (or similar). Fewer connection points and a shorter hose. That would allow you to use a full-width table on the rear door.

Maybe you could post a shot of the way the cans are mounted on the roof, and how the hose connects to them.

Just some points for discussion.

Personally, I prefer a simple solution like a Dromedary bag (which can also be used as a solar shower), which allows the bags to be stored in the second row footwells, keeping the weight forward and low. I have considered one of the rear quarter panel tanks, or making a custom stainless tank to fit along side the rear drawer system. But honestly, the Dromedary bags work great.

Bag with shower attached:
dromedary_bag_shower_kit.jpg

Connection options:
601650_9996Lrg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12