DIY Composite Flatbed Camper Build

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Technically aluminum should be primed prior to any paint, sealant, or adhesive.

In my experience, Acid#8 by Upol does a great job. Have yet to have a failure of any kind since using it.
Sand out aluminum, prime, then proceed.

The camper I built in 2017 has had no issues. These new campers manufactured by https://www.cptpanels.com/ powder coat all their aluminum extrusions.

Attachments

• IMG_20210613_175348415.jpg
    IMG_20210613_175348415.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32

NOPEC

Well its been awhile since I last posted. Looks like most of the discussion has been panel construction.
I think the last upgrade was to the suspension. I now have the Icon adjustable shocks on the front and back and has made a huge difference.

Finally decided to start another composite flatbed build. This time I will be buying the box instead of building it. This camper is manufactured and assembled by Composite Panel Technologies in Kelowna, BC. Very impressed with their product and service. Delivery is expected in 7 to 8 weeks. If anyone is interested in a composite camper and wants to share shipping expense to Spartanburg SC, please PM me.

Price range is from $11,585 for small Tacoma type truck to $13,890 for large 8 ft. bed truck. Custom is also available, which I opted for. It came in at $15,665. Weight ranges from 550 lbs. to 775 lbs. for just the shell and door. Prices include assembly, shell, and door.

This new build has led to the decision to start a new business as a dealer for Composite Panel Technologies selling and upfitting composite campers under the name TerraLite Composite Campers LLC. While we are located in Spartanburg SC, we can assist with purchases nationwide. Upfitting will begin early next year. Please PM with questions. Thanks, Jeff.

We picked ours up a couple of months ago. We are just now starting to move from cardboard and milk crate mockups to some actual wood. The weather has just been too nice to be inside!

P8100735.JPG

20231010_122101 (2).jpg
20231027_140538 (1).jpg

NOPEC

Nice! I see some screws in the extrusions. Do you plan to remove them?
CPT engineers advised that there is no real need for them as once set up, the glue and camper is super strong w/o them. Not that I am overly worried about thermal transfer, but the ends of the screws do end up buried in the foam that lives on the outside cavity of the extrusion anyway. I like them, so they stay, they kind of have an "industrial...." look , just like the camper.

NOPEC

This new build has led to the decision to start a new business as a dealer for Composite Panel Technologies selling and upfitting composite campers under the name TerraLite Composite Campers LLC. While we are located in Spartanburg SC, we can assist with purchases nationwide. Upfitting will begin early next year. Please PM with questions. Thanks, Jeff.
Jeff, Good luck with your new undertaking.

Alloy

Technically aluminum should be primed prior to any paint, sealant, or adhesive.

In my experience, Acid#8 by Upol does a great job. Have yet to have a failure of any kind since using it.
Sand out aluminum, prime, then proceed.

I'd be reluctant to use Acid#8 with any adhesive that uses (draws moisture from air) water to cure.

rruff

Explorer
Price range is from $11,585 for small Tacoma type truck to $13,890 for large 8 ft. bed truck. Custom is also available, which I opted for. It came in at $15,665. Weight ranges from 550 lbs. to 775 lbs. for just the shell and door. Prices include assembly, shell, and door.
(y) If this had been available a few years back, it would have saved me a lot of time and trouble! Good luck with your business.

I like that there is a 27 deg angle available. Since you ordered one custom, do you have a list of options on angles, skins, core, etc? Just curious.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Would you share a bit more on the panels for your build or the panels CPT would use for camper applications. eg wall thickness, core, material, R value

I see they had quite a few choices on panel composition.

EDIT I see on your drawing overcab berth floor is 2.5" thick.

thx
For camper applications the goal is light weight and true 4 season capable. Wall thickness is 2-inch foam core. Not exactly sure what the R value is once it's sandwiched between the FRP. I do know from personal experience that it handles sub zero temps. They do offer many options for the panel composition and could accommodate your requirements. However, the pricing that is listed reflects the 2-inch foam core between frp.
The 2.5" thick floor is to reinforce the 6.5' cabover. The engineers at CPT recommended this. They have been a huge help with my design process.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
(y) If this had been available a few years back, it would have saved me a lot of time and trouble! Good luck with your business.

I like that there is a 27 deg angle available. Since you ordered one custom, do you have a list of options on angles, skins, core, etc? Just curious.
Only extrusions that are currently in use is the 27 and 90 degree. They bend/curve the panel for other angles. Here is their info on panel options.
https://www.cptpanels.com/composite-panels/materials/

Alloy

Why?
And what primer/treatment would you use under such an adhesive?

Acid#8 needs a barrier coat before waterborne coatings are applied. It also has a 60min open time before sanding is required which means a poor chemical bond after 60 min.

I'd follow the adhesive mfg.'s system.

Another reason for primer (which I may have missed being mentioned here) is to reduce (corrosion creep) electrolysis. Many (x 1000) times I've seen a paint and adhesives fail due to electrolysis between ( often mechanical) coating and aluminum.

No cleaning/sanding prep or primer is shown (OK for a small box?) here which I think is a mistake.

One of the issues is the bond isn't to aluminum but to powder (done offshore??) coating. If it was me I'd buy the bare (or have it stripped) extrusions and build the box using the adhesive mfg.'s system. Having it look pretty isn't worth loosing the ability to weld or having to repair (next to impossible) the powder coating.

I also don't like the lack of insulation (condensation) in the corners. For this Boxxed and TC is a better design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears