Do you actually use or need a pass thru window from camper to pickup?

Bucky

Observer
We had a sliding rear pass-thru window installed on the 2003 Sierra. With the collar (ordered from FWC with camper build) between cab and camper we could leave the window open as we pleased. Handy for cat, long items, ventilation, etc. as noted here. But, the most important reason was being able to get into the cab, start the truck, and quickly drive out of the campsite in an emergency (without having to exit the camper and walk (run?) to the driver's door. Even if plugged into shore power.

Not sure I could make it through that opening now! haha

mkish

Adventurer
I like the sliding rear window on my truck. The window in the camper? Could have skipped it. We put too much junk in there to really appreciate it and both it AND the truck window are too small for anything but a cat to traverse.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Ever need to carry long items inside ?

We carried 16' molding a few times when the camper was on, windshield to camper door.
The front window of my WilderNest is a slider. Two small panes with a joint in the middle. This lined up perfectly with the sliding back window in a pre 1995 Toyota pickup. It was huge, loved it.

Toyota went to one large center pane that slides. Don't love it. Even skinny 20-something me would have trouble getting through. The 50-something me simply cannot.

But I wouldn't punt. Carrying long items it's handy. I leave them cracked at night for a reach through option. It's also nice to be able to hear music or have a mounted comm radio in front you want to monitor so it can be at a reasonable volume with the doors closed.

It comes down to nice to have even if you rarely use verses not having when you might need it. Also in 26 years the front window on my 'Nest has never leaked. Cleaning between them is a major PITA. View is small but enough to at least be able to see the semi barreling towards you or moto riding too close. I'm also someone who worries I left the back window open or tail gate down so at least I can put my mind as ease without pulling over.

Last edited:

SurfinOregon

I would love to have a pass through, but really only so that I could store longboards inside into the cab.
I wouldn't love the almost guaranteed leaking issue that might come with it.
I bought a Sundowner window to install on my F250 but haven't installed it...rumors of issues are numerous.
The Hawk window is non-opening...and square FWC window matching pickup window seems problematic.
As a kid, my Dad had a pass through made of a rubber inner tube with grommets that attached in the cab & the shell.
Of course, at 10 years old, I was back & forth through that. At 60+...not so much!
Doc @ Surf In Oregon

Driftwood77

Friends were touring France years ago, they had stopped for the night in an aire. They were sleeping in the back when woken up by someone trying to break into the back door.
They both got up quietly and one sneaked through to get into the drivers seat and away down the road.
They would have been in a nasty situation without access to the cab.

David_h

Friends were touring France years ago, they had stopped for the night in an aire. They were sleeping in the back when woken up by someone trying to break into the back door.
They both got up quietly and one sneaked through to get into the drivers seat and away down the road.
They would have been in a nasty situation without access to the cab.
I wonder if I'd have been tempted to (oops.) accelerate in reverse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998