do you carry a gun ?

XL Bar

Observer
TeriAnn said:
I think the assumption is that a woman holding a gun is running a bluff.

One would always like to think that a guy wouldn't try for it. But I suspect a guy is less likely to think a woman is seriously going to pull the trigger.

Unfortunately this kind of thinking reinforces the image of a woman as an easy target (if you look like food, you will get eaten).

Even if you never intend to carry a weapon, I would suggest you seek some self defense training. I carried a concealed weapon for 3 years and then received training and it resulted in me actually ceasing my concealed carry. My wife thought she wanted to carry and also decided not to after the training. Neither of us at the time were willing to take on the extreme responsibility that carrying a lethal weapon burdens the carrier. Others had the opposite reaction. I can recommend some excellent trainers who focus more on the mental and emotional aspects of the decision to use lethal force versus the tactics via private message.

Cheers,

Brian

Overdrive

Adventurer
I've taught firearms training and tactics for many years. I feel the need to tackle some of these statements:

Dredzilla said:
By the time you pull your weapon it is time to shoot.
Maybe, maybe not. Each situation can be different.

Dredzilla said:
If you pull your weapon to threaten someone, then your wrong.
Why is this wrong? One example: If someone is approaching me with a knife, and I feel there is time, I will threaten them with my firearm...give them a warning. If they decide to continue and end up getting shot, this will make me look like an angel in court.

Dredzilla said:
if something were to happen just try and keep as much distance between you and the aggresor.
Yes, this is a great rule for survival in a gunfight, if you have time.

Dredzilla said:
If someone comes at you with a knife, the law as I understand it is 30 feet.
I don't know Oregon's laws, and the law is different in many states anyway. In AZ, you need to be in fear of serious injury or death. A specific distance is not mentioned in the law.

Dredzilla said:
Unless your out going shooting there is absolutly no reason to draw your weapon EVER!.
I can think of several reasons.

kai38

Explorer
TeriAnn said:
I see someone else across a barrel and I think that someone carried that person for 9 months. That someone nurtured and loved that person when growing up. That I would be ending a life time of aspirations, hopes and care that others have put into that person. I can't just look at a person in that instant without putting him in perspective of a lifetime. Not unless the threat got high enough to distill my attention to that instant in time. A gun raises the stakes very quickly. Likely stakes that otherwise might not get raised that high.

First I do respect your opinion.
But in the time it takes to read the above quote or even think it, someone meaning you harm will be on you as fast.
He's not thinking the same way about you or your family.
I was asked why I carry out camping or on road trips. Its because my most important job is to protect my family. The gun isn't the the first resort its the last in my options to protect my family. Its carried hidden no one knows its there I don't show it off.
Of course I would feel bad about taking someones life, but I would feel worse if I hadn't protected my family.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
TerriAnn, good job! You have obviously thought a lot about your position and have decided that you don't think you could take someone's life. You have made a responsible choice not to carry a firearm. Why pay for something you won't use, and just arm a criminal. I also respect you for not giving others grief for deciding to carry if they want to. Personal choice as to how you wish to protect yourself.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Dredzilla said:
If something were to happen just try and keep as much distance between you and the aggresor.

I agree. Cover is best and concealment is better than nothing.

Dredzilla said:
If someone comes at you with a knife, the law as I understand it is 30 feet. 30 feet normal people can come very fast and close the distance to stab you. so situations like that, then blammo, knife to a gunfight thing.

I don't believe there is a specific distance codified in any of the 50 states laws. I believe this is more of a training concept.

In law enforcement circles, they used to train officers according to the "21 foot rule". Basically, the theory was that someone could assult you with a hand held weapon (knife, bat, etc.) before you respond with your firearm.

This is often the case even if you are holding an unholstered weapon at the low ready. Most departments have extended this conceptual range out to around 30 feet because 21 feet was often too close.

So basically, you are correct about the concept, and it is certainly a defensible concept in court.

jh504

Explorer
I carry an XD .40 in my vehicle everywhere I go. I started carrying while working in NO during and after Katrina. I am not a militant person, I do value every human life, but if my life or my family is threatened I will not hesitate to end the threat. If that means killing one or more people who are intentionally meaning to do me/my family harm the choice is not even in question.
As far as carrying my handgun across state lines, I try to abide by the different state's laws that I will be traveling through. If an area where I am traveling does not allow me to excercise my right to protect myself, I generally don't even travel through it.
And if you are ever pulled over while carrying your gun, let that be the first thing you tell the officer! He will be very grateful.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Gun..............?

Who needs a Gun............

When you have the handy dandy tire checker with built in Flashlight from Harbor Freight Tools!

You can just shine the light in the offending parties face just before you Wack him good ......so you can see who you are Wacking first!!!!:gunt:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/CategorySpecial.taf?_function=list&_start=181

94671.gif

ALUMINUM TIRE CHECKER WITH LIGHT

This heavy duty tire knocker has a built-in flashlight. Rugged LED lamp won't break--can burn up to 100,000 hours.
Uses three CR1223A batteries (included); 17-3/4" long

ITEM 94671-2VGA
$59.99 / $49.99

................hehe:costumed-smiley-007

peekay

Adventurer
jh504 said:
And if you are ever pulled over while carrying your gun, let that be the first thing you tell the officer! He will be very grateful.
I agree with the rest of your post, but respectfully disagree with this last piece of advice. I would never volunteer information to a LE officer that I have a gun in possession. It increases their nervousness and raises the probability of unneeded hassles. This will be especially true in more urban areas and less gun friendly states, e.g. California, New York, etc.

If they ask you if you're carrying weapons in the vehicle, I would answer truthfully and add that they are legally yours and transported in accordance with the law.

MDZJ88

Observer
If I could carry a gun, I would. Dumb Maryland Government, it's nearly impossible to get a CCW.
...No wonder we have such a high murder rate.:gunt:

jh504

Explorer
peekay said:
I agree with the rest of your post, but respectfully disagree with this last piece of advice. I would never volunteer information to a LE officer that I have a gun in possession. It increases their nervousness and raises the probability of unneeded hassles. This will be especially true in more urban areas and less gun friendly states, e.g. California, New York, etc.

If they ask you if you're carrying weapons in the vehicle, I would answer truthfully and add that they are legally yours and transported in accordance with the law.

I understand your thinking and I have, at times, not volunteered the information on a simple traffic stop. But the reason why I offer this advice is because of the fact that if you have a concealed carry permit the officer will know it as soon as he calls in your info, and if you did not let him know you had a gun he can make things very difficult for you. Also if you do not have a concealed carry you shouldn't be concealing your weapon anyway, and in that case your firearm needs to be in sight and you need to tell him before he sees it and gets very nervous. I am very close to a number of LE officers and all of them agree that if you are a law abidding citizen and are totally up front with them they will be very appreciative.
Case and point, a friend, who has a concealed carry permit, was down in Myrtle Beach a little while ago and was stopped. He did not let the officer know about his gun and when the officer learned from dispatch of his permit he was very hard to deal with. He wrote my friend up for his traffic violations when he probably would have let him go.
If you live somewhere that it is legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle then you have nothing to hide. I can think of some much worse situations if you arn't up front with an officer and he sees your weapon. A traffic stop is the most dangerous thing these guys can do. If you were in their shoes I am sure you would want to know if the guy you just pulled over is armed.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
YEs I have a permit. I don't always carry but it depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing. Out wheeling yeah most always.

Yes I would let the Officer know I was carrying. They get a might bit testy other wise.

Last edited:

AzRover

Observer
Yes, you never know when you will come across a mountain lion or crazy freaks who want you dead. When you are out in the boonies, there is no one to help you.

It can also be used as a survival tool if you get stuck. A day of four wheeling and target shooting is always fun, so I travel with several guns.
No permit needed in Az, unless concealed.

There is a book, "Travelers guide to the firearm laws of the 50 states" , is a good reference when traveling with a gun.

RoundOut

Explorer
CCL class on Saturday

Before we moved to Texas, my wife and I had our concealed weapon's permit in Florida. I let it expire a long time ago, not realizing that it may be reciprocal with Texas. So, I'm taking the concealed carry class this Saturday. Should be fun. I have a ton of questions that I look forward to getting answered...

Can we open carry?
What states are reciprocal with Texas?
What is the best way to advise law enforcement that you have a concealed weapon?
What are the laws regarding lethal discharge in one's home or on one's property?
Does the license entitle one to carry where it is posted not to, i.e. national parks, banks, etc? (not that one would ever or always want to, just what are the rules?)

I'm sure I will think of more.

Our first stop on Saturday morning is the range to qualify by shooting 50 rounds. I already purchased my ammo and already own my 9mm, glasses, hearing protection, etc. I even had my passport photos taken for the license already.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I always, always, travel armed. I am firm beleiver in "better to have it, and not need it, than to need it, and not have it" as well as "better judged by 12 than carried by 6". I could care less about someone else's child, because my own mother would wish for ME to save my own hide. Not to mention, there is always the chance that I could save the hide of someone else too, in addition to mine own. If I am driving my own vehicle, I have a weapon, if I fly somewhere in the U.S. and rent, I always bring something along on check through. It really is no big deal and the peace of mind is worth the few extra minutes of paperwork at check in.

Figured this would fit in well in this discussion:

Rules Of A Gunfight
author unknown
Have a gun.

Preferably, have at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun... and a friend with a long gun.

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap; life is expensive. "Why did you shoot only once? There's no additional paperwork for shooting someone twice!"

Bring ammo. The right ammo. Lots of it. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

Proximity negates skill. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)

In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading and running.

Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

Use a gun that works every time. "All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose. "If you find yourself prepared for a fair fight, you didn't prepare properly."

The purpose of fighting is to win.

There is no possible victory in defense.

The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.

The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Have a plan. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.

Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

Flank your adversary when possible. Protect your own flank.

Don't drop your guard.

Always perform a tactical reload and then threat scan 360 degrees.

Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.)

Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.

The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4".

Nothing handheld is a reliable stopper.

Carry the same gun in the same place all the time.

Getting shot does not mean that you are out of the fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12