do you carry a gun ?

kjp1969

Explorer
I'm not sick or a smoker (of *anything*), but my Mom came down with cancer a while ago. I told here right off the bat that if she wanted it, I'd help her obtain medical marijuana in a New York minute. Thankfully traditional treatments are working just fine.

If hard-core opiates are legal with a scrip, why isn't marijuana?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Do you arm yourself when camping?

Don't know if this has been asked already, but just curious how many of you carry when you go out in the wilderness? And what do you carry?

I do not own any handguns, but I always throw in my Remington 12 ga. in the back. Not at a family camp site at a nearby park, but if we're going to an unknown area (to us), or camping at a site that is very remote, I will throw it in. It is definitely not easy to carry and could be a bit hard to operate in an emergency, but it is a bit reassuring to have it there. That said, it would be very nice to have a more convenient piece, like a 9mm/.40. Still debating whether a handgun would be needed. And don't worry, I will be getting a CCW before or following the purchase.

I know firearms might be a very sensitive issue, but there are just too many psychos and unknowns out there, let alone bear/cougar attacks. I am not a violent person at all, but I will not hesitate to fend off any predators/threats from my family or anybody else. I carry in hopes of never firing a shot.

And with that thought, maybe a bear spray is all I need? I know 9mm or even .45's are not effective unless it hits the bear at the right spot (which is hard when they're charging at you at 40MPH), but I have heard just the sound scares them off sometimes. A ranger told me the spray has worked the best, so that could be a good option (and more humane). It would work on people, too, so that's another plus. At the same time, though, I'd feel MUCH more secure holding my 12 ga than a spray can. Hmm....

Anyway, your thoughts? :D

EDIT: For those that are confused, my thread was merged, as I did not see this one already.

Last edited:

seriessearcher

Adventurer
Do you arm yourself when camping?

For several reason I carry while in the backcountry or non improved sites. Family sites no.

I know this is touchy, and I may be breaking some rules, however I would rather ask for forgivness if put in that situation.

I am sure if used for self defense I would not face much of a fine if it were needed.

Sorry you survived the bear attack, but you are put in jail for having a pistol. I'll take the jail time.

After some of the news stories with some of the wackos out there I will protect my two daughters.

My 2 cents on the very valid question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12