Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Thought I'd weigh in on an old thread.

I've been considering this for awhile. I know lots of guys that've been exploring the back country way longer than I have that say they've never felt the need for a gun. When the growling and barking GSD in my tent didn't deter something from pounding on my truck at 3AM, I wished I was confronting the pounder with more than just a Maglite. So yeah, I feel like I need a weapon in the wild. It turned out to be a drunk camper on the way back to their camp mistaking my Land Cruiser for their Honda Element.

On group trips through Death Valley, 8 trucks worth of us have rolled up on a couple in a tent by themselves. When I'm the solo couple in the tent, I want something more than "the campers' code" keeping everyone honest and safe.

Between feeling a duty to protect my wife and wondering what my dog is growling at in the night, I'd rather be called paranoid and be safe, than be naive and sorry.

In reality, you're always a sitting duck in a tent. But maybe the weapon makes you feel more in control.

I carry a, in order of my perceived effectiveness:
  • German Shepherd bred and trained for protection.
  • 3D battery LED Maglites (100 lumens in the face as been the most effective 2 legged deterrent in my experience).
  • Bear Spray (Read the gov reports, anything short of expert marksmanship and speed with an elephant rifle won't do squat against an angry bear).
  • .223/5.56 AR-15 (Not the most effective round, but most attackers stop when you point a gun at them, might as well make it a big, black scary looking gun.
  • .22 CMMG conversion bolt for the AR-15 for plinking.
  • Knife in my pocket at all times (more for opening packages than defense.

I also have and lock away in the truck at night so no one can use them against me:
  • Axe
  • Shovel
  • Machete

The ARs are a silly choice for campsite protection, but they're just what I have. Being able to mount tactical lights and sights and carry a lot of rounds might make up for its short comings. But in a survival situation, having rifles around probably doesn't hurt.

I'd like to swap them out for a semi auto 12 gauge--10 Rounds of 12g buck shot or slugs is pretty devastating against anything on this side of 400lbs. I'd also feel better with a .45 ACP pistol on my hip at all times--good stopping power in a light package that helps you fight your way to your big guns.

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/110490-had-pull-gun-somebody-while-camping.html

Last edited:
I'll begin carrying my Mossberg 500 (along with my 9mm sidearm) loaded with Winchester PDX1 on our backcountry adventures. If we are in a location where I'm legally allowed to have the gun out in the open when around camp, I will. I've had enough bad/odd encounters that I feel its warranted.

3 rounds of Winchester PDX1 (3 slugs and 9 00buckshot). 5 paces.
920885_941332859861_1752451334_o.jpg

The exit "wounds" of the slugs.... quite devastating. FYI these rounds explode cantaloupe.

1015049_941336018531_277166862_o.jpg

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I just got rid of my Taurus PT145 and picked up a Glock 17 for me and a Taurus 709 slim for the wife. I have not shot the slim but the Glock is pretty dang sweet. IDk that I have said it in here before but I am primarily a rifle shooter. I have 2 shotguns and a few pistols but just prefer a rifle. That said, I just found a revolving rifle that has peaked my curiosity so I may have to find one to test shoot. The Circuit Judge revolving rifle. I just want to try it.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=GM436481

Storz

Explorer
I always have this one me, camping or otherwise (everywhere legal that is).

DSC09494.JPG

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
No, I don't usually feel the need to have a weapon when camping or hardly anywhere else I go - but since I can't predict where or when the next thief, carjacker, tweeker, or sociopath may actually cross my path, I'm always carrying just in case.

762X39

Explorer
Never felt the need to carry while camping, not ever. Obviously a shotgun or 22 might be around during small game and upland game season.:coffee:

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
My buddies and I almost always have quite a few guns around when we are back country camping, but mostly that's because we plan to target shoot and/or hunt. At night when we go to sleep, most of my friends and I usually keep the firearms locked up in the vehicles. I bring knives too, but not really with self-protection in mind (though the Woodsman's Pal might come in handy in such scenario). Bear spray is my primary self-defense tool at night.

One night my buddy and I kinda freaked each other out talking about bear attacks. We each brought handguns to our respective tents that night. But I laid there thinking about accidentally shooting my buddy in the confusion of a night-time bear visit and I decided to unload my gun. I decided to rely on the bear spray instead.

cee-jay

In the spring of 2012 a group of us (maybe 10 vehicles) were camping in the Ozarks northwest of Russellville, Arkansas.We had planned to camp at nice creek-side spot but it was already occupied so we moved to option B about 200 yards up the trail. Well a few of us were still sitting around the campfire at 10:30PM when a middle aged woman walked up into the camp. It was kind of freaky, as I was the first to see her appear in the dark, wearing white shirt and shorts with bleached blonde hair... being lit from the campfire... coming out of the dark... yeah, kind of freaky.

I motioned for the group to turn and look to make sure I wasn't crazy and sure enough she walks right up to the campfire and blurts out "How the ******* do I get out of here? Where is the nearest town? I can't stay here, where's the town?!!?? Can yall drive me to the nearest town?! Where am I so I can have a friend come pick me up?!?" We all sort of cleared our throats at the same time and between the 6 or so of us we all put a few words in: "well, mam you're in the middle of the national forest, its 10:30, getting colder, you have no flashlight and there are tons of forks and turns that we dont know.... plus you're at least 20 miles from the nearest town... and we pretty much need GPS and paper maps to get us here.... Maybe you should go back to your camp." To which she rebutted "you call yourselves men? you wont even help me out? I can't go back to that man down there?! No one wants to help me?!?" We asked if she was hurt, in danger, or just upset... to which she just responded "no no no i just need to get out of here!"

I think the person with the most knowledge of the area drew her a map with the best plan of action but insisted for her to go back to camp. She walked off into the dark....

About 20 minutes later she walked back to her campsite, trying to sneak passed as best she could.... I think she had calmed down and was embarrassed at that point.

My point being, her boyfriend/lover/etc could have gone ballistic rampaged through our camp, shot at us, whatever.... you never know... But we did what we could and acted how we felt was appropriate...

To me having a weapon is another tool to be prepared with. Its a tool for hunting and a tool for the crazies.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
90% of our travels are off the beaten path and boondocking. And most of the time it is done alone, the wife, the dog, and I.

Generally if someone approaches our camp they are either in dire need of something, or up to no good.

So yes, Im always armed.

Experience shows that the out of the way places seem to attract some serious weirdos.
Not sure if I fall into that category or not, but at least Im always prepared, and never looking to cause trouble. :coffee:

We have had some odd run-ins that can get strange real fast. Though I have noticed a HUGE decrease just since getting the hound dog.
Ive found that just having a dog along steers most of the would be/could be problem folks away.

Storz

Explorer
I think of carrying in the same way I think about wearing a seat belt or having a fire extinguisher. Don't plan to use any of those things, really, really hope I never have to, but it's there just in case.

robert

Expedition Leader
Just another tool in the toolbox. I've run across a few sketchy types during my travels and having one probably prevented an assault on at least one occasion.

It's really simple though, if you don't feel like carrying one then don't. I don't criticize people for their choice either way.

0uTkAsT

Gun Toting Gearhead
I think of carrying in the same way I think about wearing a seat belt or having a fire extinguisher. Don't plan to use any of those things, really, really hope I never have to, but it's there just in case.
Exactly. Well said.

When I'm in town, I carry a pistol 24/7, unless I'm at work (and even then it's locked up in my desk right next to me) or out drinking. I also have a Leatherman that goes with me everywhere. When I'm out of town, I always have a rifle with me too. Especially since I go backpacking frequently, and more often than not I'm alone for days at a time where there is spotty signal back in some pretty rugged country. Aggressive wild animals and weird friggin people are not all that uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears