Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregon213

Observer
I'm in Oregon, far from any grizzly and pretty thin on wolves. I've ran into black bears a few times, once grouse hunting I topped a ridge and stumbled into one gorging on huckleberries about ten feet away. Every time they've taken off and not looked back.

With that said, I carry something on any trip. Sometimes it stays in the truck (locked up), sometimes on my belt and sometimes it's just whatever I'm hunting with. I'm more worried about people than wild animals, sometimes more worried the more remote I get.

I work in law enforcement though, and carry to/from work and on duty all day - so maybe I'm habituated and jaded. The peace of mind is worth something though.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I work in law enforcement though, and carry to/from work and on duty all day - so maybe I'm habituated and jaded. The peace of mind is worth something though.

I totally get what you mean. I've at river with friends, at the map family and out of hours from home a ran into guys I locked up. Two out the three times I knew they would try me if gave them the chance. But one guy thanked me told the arrest was what he need to make changes in his life.

Stay safe brother things are picking up out there.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
If I were going some where I thought I might need a gun, well I just would not go there.

****...I could not go to work then. Downtown by the capital...hell no I won't go unarmed. In the wilderness with untrained animals...hell no I won't go unarmed.

Did they eliminate wild animals near you? Crazy people near you?

11b4v

Adventurer
yes

Late to the discussion, but my camping buddies and I are all firearms enthusiast, so its always an armed camp.

We've had two attempts by idiots to enter and loot our camps and one incident of two idiots in a rock crawler accosting us in the middle of the night demanding beer. We had them lit up with Surefire flashlights at a distance as they tried to enter our camp; they carried on for a full five minutes until one in the camp ;) threatened to beat some ***.

We've always alarmed our camp, and now are using these: http://www.brite-strike.com/CAPSS.html

Also, I had been camping about 40 miles away from Blood Mountain when this happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Meredith_Emerson

Last edited:

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
If I were going some where I thought I might need a gun, well I just would not go there.

And the bad guys win by default with that outlook. But I get it, it is called outdoor recreation for crissake and worrying about needing a gun detracts from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynnrb

Observer
****...I could not go to work then. Downtown by the capital...hell no I won't go unarmed. In the wilderness with untrained animals...hell no I won't go unarmed.

Did they eliminate wild animals near you? Crazy people near you?

Part of the experience for me is getting to see wild animals, in the wild, up close.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Bad analogy. Can not choose to have insurance, it is required, but I can choose where to live and recreate.

Where are you forced to have insurance? Maybe driving, but a lot of people don't.

*Edit* At the end of the day do what makes you comfortable.

Dalko43

Explorer
Bad analogy. Can not choose to have insurance, it is required, but I can choose where to live and recreate.

You're not required to have insurance. If you own and drive a vehicle you legally must have it insured, but you're not required to own a vehicle. Nor are you required to have health insurance; under the Affordable Care Act you can pay an extra tax to avoid having insurance.

Also, it's not a bad analogy; rather I think you misunderstood it.

Most firearm owners I know don't carry their firearms because they are seeking out trouble; rather they carry for the off chance that trouble finds them.
Same for insurance. Most people don't pay for insurance coverage because they want something bad to happen to themselves or their property; rather they have insurance for the off chance that something bad happens to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears