Do you need a 4x4 SMB?

Meekerfam

Observer
Last January I picked up a 86 E350 6.9L 2wd. Since I've redone most the interior, added a 2" Lift, put 20" wheels and 275/60r20 Good year Wranglers HPs. When they wear out I plan on some Toyo's with the most aggressive tread , maybe mud terrains.
I've installed 2 deep cycle (house) 2 heavy duty starting batt. with a 1500w inverter right now the only load is a flat screen travel. DVD player, one 12" florescent light. have 2 table legs to install for a bed extention and table. have 2 gets of legs for the table one length for eating and one set for back extention.
next on the list is a roof rack W/ scene/spot lights and a good set of offroad Lights. hoping to fab up a winch mount after that.

With that said. would a 4x4 conversion really be worth the work and mpg loss?

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    378.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Copy of van_interior_design_plan1.jpg
    Copy of van_interior_design_plan1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    402.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 196

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
4x4 or no....well only you will be able to answer that and it will be based on how often you either get stuck or frustrated at not being able to go somewhere.
However it will happen over time so to worry about it now is too soon.

For me the 4wd part of the Disabled Explorers Sportsmobile means less worry about getting stuck and more fun for the disabled folks who come out to play.
Plus I like going farther away from other people.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
^^^ pay particular attention to post #22. If you want to see stuff past the fireroad the 4WD will come in very handy, especially if you dont want to tear up the trails trying to get there in the process spinning only 1 (open diff) or 2 (locked diff) tires pushing a 7K+ lb vehicle somewhere it wasnt designed to go.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Noticed you have seat belts coming out of your fold-out couch. I also noticed that the couch looks to be made of fairly light weight round tubing and is secured to the floor with C clips. I hope you aren't actually using that seat for passengers during travel...appears to be amazingly unsafe. Mind you, for usage once stopped, it looks great, but I wouldn't consider that an acceptable spot for passengers while underway.

Love your porta-potty solution!

D

Deleted member 9101

If it was me I would keep it a 2x4 and just run all terrain tires. I would add a good locker and a receiver mounted winch that I could change from the front to rear of the vehicle.

If you look at the past... many "expeditions" were done in 2wd vehicles and they got out in some very remote places. really, you just have to knwo your vehicles,(and your) limits.

BTW: The nice thing about a 2x4 is when you re stuck..it usually doesn't take a tractor to get you out...********

haven

Expedition Leader
I think you should use the vehicle in rear wheel drive for now, and keep track of the times when you were held back by lack of traction and clearance. I think you'll be limited as much by the width and wheelbase of the van, as you will by the lack of 4x4.

Having 4x4 available is a good idea if you plan to travel solo off the pavement. Travel in rear wheel drive, and use 4x4 if you get stuck. It's less important if you travel with another vehicle that can render assistance.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Still trying to decide which styling I hate more the Cube or the Juke.
icon_oak.gif

spencyg

This Space For Rent
BTW: The nice thing about a 2x4 is when you re stuck..it usually doesn't take a tractor to get you out...********

There is much truth to this. The more "capable" your vehicle is off road, the further you'll get before you eventually get stuck. Then the only way to get unstuck is to find a vehicle MORE capable than your own to pull you out. The reality of the situation is that you'll find yourself in far less "sticky situations" in a 2WD vehicle than you would in a 4WD vehicle just because of the nature of getting stuck easier and in places where any 4x4 can pull you out.

Something to think about.

I loaded Boomer up with winches and other extraction gear for the sole reason that I know if I ever get stuck, NOBODY aside from somebody with a Skidder will be able to get me out.

scotter

Observer
If you are going to be doing any trails in mountain country (mining roads etc.) You will beifit from the 4x4. I used to have a 97 2x4 with a locker in the reaer and it would get me just about anywhere I wanted to go. In fact I used to pull stuck 4x4's back onto the road quite frequently. The big problem I had with the 2x4 setup was keeping the front end on the road or trail when it was slick. If you are going acrros a side slope in particular, if the trail is loose or the rocks are slick with snoe or rain you can get into trouble real quick if all the traction from your locked rear tries to push you in a direction you dont want go. Bottom line is if you plan on going someplace where gravity may win out over traction and your ability to steer on a slick or loose surface do the
4x4 conversion, it's a lot cheaper than tumbling your van down the side of a mountain. I mainly use four wheel drive for keeping the front end where it needs to be. :smiley_drive:

D

Deleted member 9101

I loaded Boomer up with winches and other extraction gear for the sole reason that I know if I ever get stuck, NOBODY aside from somebody with a Skidder will be able to get me out.

I hat to laugh at ya man, but thats funny. I have had friends over the years with "bog trucks" and when those beast get stuck.... its not fun..evidently 18x44's find very deep holes to fall off into...lol.

EMrider

Explorer
Last January I picked up a 86 E350 6.9L 2wd. Since I've redone most the interior, added a 2" Lift, put 20" wheels and 275/60r20 Good year Wranglers HPs. When they wear out I plan on some Toyo's with the most aggressive tread , maybe mud terrains.
I've installed 2 deep cycle (house) 2 heavy duty starting batt. with a 1500w inverter right now the only load is a flat screen travel. DVD player, one 12" florescent light. have 2 table legs to install for a bed extention and table. have 2 gets of legs for the table one length for eating and one set for back extention.
next on the list is a roof rack W/ scene/spot lights and a good set of offroad Lights. hoping to fab up a winch mount after that.

With that said. would a 4x4 conversion really be worth the work and mpg loss?

My family and I have had great fun in our SMB. Our experience is that 4x4 is a 'nice to have' not a 'must have' option. Probably 90% of our trips would have been doable without 4x4. Obviously I'm not pushing the edge in terms of technical difficulty in my outings. The few times that I have pushed the edge, 4x4 was necessary. I'm sure it helped me avoid getting stuck at least twice, and once I did get stuck despite 4x4. But that is 2 incidents in 50k plus miles..........
R

dsw4x4

Adventurer
For me it is a must have. I had a two wheel drive van for a long time and I respected it's limits (for the most part) and used it as a tow vehicle. Now that I have a 4wd van I would never go back. How do you use your van? Do you find yourself turning around due to lack of 4wd or has that never been an issue? If it has never been an issue or if you have not gotten your van stuck then i would say it is probably not worth it. If that has been an issue or you have been stuck in a two wheel drive van digging it out for hours on end then you know the answer is yes. Just a reminder 4wd just allows you to get stuck worse in a more remote location though. :smiley_drive:
Jnich77
you are so right when I lived in MO we burnt up winches and broke things that were never meant to be broke trying to pull our fully locked jeeps on 40s and 44s that were buried deep, sometimes to the top of the windshield!! If they can't find the holes and you have the power it will makes the holes.

T.Low

Expedition Leader

For me it is a must have....

Now that I have a 4wd van I would never go back.

How do you use your van? Do you find yourself turning around due to lack of 4wd or has that never been an issue? If it has never been an issue or if you have not gotten your van stuck then i would say it is probably not worth it.

If that has been an issue or you have been stuck in a two wheel drive van digging it out for hours on end then you know the answer is yes.
QUOTE]

I think it's really as easy as that.

If you have to ask, it's probably not worth it. It was never a question for me either.

...but you do live in Washington state...hmm

My advice would be to put the resources elsewhere for now, and use the van. You can always do the swap later if you have a 4wd epiphany.:Wow1:

From the outside looking in, it looks to me like you may benefit more from a pop top than 4wd. Maybe start a seperate shoe box to stuff extra money into for when that perfectly trashed 4x4 SMB donor van comes along.:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior