Do you need a 4x4 SMB?

Meekerfam

Observer
Thanks for all the comment. Largest reason for wanting the 4x4 is for winter Camping. The wife has some medical issues that prevent ground Camping. So we one working on this by building the NSMB (non-Sportsmobile) we are in the Pac North and it gets very wet and cold in the winter.

Every comment that is on this is great! Both pro and con, not one person bashed either side.

For now I will keep the 2wd with mild lift, put some AT's on it and see how stuck I get. was planning an a front & rear winch for self & assigned recovery, 75% of the vans use is as a light weight Hwy Camper we do the to get off the beater path here and there.

Again thanks for all the input. Keep it coming. also looking for layout comments good, or bad on my project

refried

Adventurer
The only time I really wish I had 4wd is on snow covered roads, I got spoiled having a Subaru and not having to chain up all the time. I haven't had any problems on dry roads/trails other than dragging my trailer hitch and snow/ice covered roads usually aren't a problem unless it's a road like the last few miles of the Mount Baker Hyway (lots of steep switchbacks that tend to ice up). I'm going to try a good set of studded snows this year and see how it does, I'm sure the generic AT tires didn't help. chained up I have no problem.
Before I do a 4wd swap I'll add a selectable locker to the rear and see how much it helps.
What are you using to lift your van? I don't think I could go any higher in front with mine (the top of the fenders are about 54" from the ground), but I'd like to bring the back up about 2" and level it out.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Wait untill your camping on that nice trail and it rains all night. Now you have 6" of mud with 2wd. Next spot is full of pop ups and trailers hogging up all the good spots. If you only had 4x4 you could get to the good spots. Next is you turn around on that fire road and drop a tire in a soft spot. Those old Fords are great and with all the stuff yours has it's only lacking the ability to get to the best camping spots. That is unless you think campgrounds and wallmarts make for good camp spots. Look here to see how easy a conversion is: http://www.ujointoffroad.com/

refried

Adventurer
Wait untill your camping on that nice trail and it rains all night. Now you have 6" of mud with 2wd. Next spot is full of pop ups and trailers hogging up all the good spots. If you only had 4x4 you could get to the good spots. Next is you turn around on that fire road and drop a tire in a soft spot. Those old Fords are great and with all the stuff yours has it's only lacking the ability to get to the best camping spots. That is unless you think campgrounds and wallmarts make for good camp spots. Look here to see how easy a conversion is: http://www.ujointoffroad.com/

Not having does limit where I go with the van and I'm very cautious where I'll stop knowing a little mud would getting moving again very difficult.
I've been using fuel economy as a reason not to do the swap but My van is 9' tall as it is I don't think adding a front axle and transfer case would hurt milage much. Do you make a kit or parts to convert earlier Fords?

CSG

Explorer
I'm the guy that started that other thread and am still pretty much as conflicted today. My problem is I don't have the skills or interest in trying to do it myself so I'm looking at nearly $10k to have it done. I prefer camping out of the van but I do have a Land Cruiser too. With the economy the way it is and my own lack of discretionary income these days, it's a moot point in any event.

But I will say this, I would 100% prefer the van had 4x4 as it would remove the doubt I have when wanting to explore. I don't do hardcore stuff so I think of 4x4 as a security on snow or muddy roads. I'm not interested in running trails, doing rock crawling, etc. I'm more interested in the scenario where you go down a dry two-track and it snows overnight. Sure, I can carry chains but it's not the same as having the front axle working for you and having your rig balanced.

Still, as long as the weather's OK I can camp at places like this one in the SNRA in Idaho.

photo.php

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
The wife has some medical issues that prevent ground Camping. So we one working on this by building the NSMB (non-Sportsmobile) we are in the Pac North and it gets very wet and cold in the winter.

Again thanks for all the input. Keep it coming. also looking for layout comments good, or bad on my project

Well aside from the 4wd conversion I would say there are a few things to think about..
#1 Get a Spot since your wife has a medical condition, the cost is trival in the end and the sense of security is great.
#2 Get either a pop top or high top installed as the extra head room makes the van SOOOO much more liveable. I love the fact that the Disabled Explorers Spotsmobile high top let's me move around without any time or hassle.
However with kids I would go with a pop top as the upper sleep space is actually useable.
#3 if you are winter camping the Espar diesel heater is amazing, I don't know the 6.9L engine (gas or diesel) so a propane setup might be in order instead. Either way it makes a HUGE difference.
#4 Setup you layout for cooking outside unless you have to deal with horrible weather, this will give you a better inside layout.
#5 The time and money you spend on sound deadener and insulation will be worth it a hundred times over down the road.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I've taken my 2wd VW Fow (albeit lifted and tire'd) places some people fear to go with a 4x4... THat said, I find my 4x4 4Runner to be far more capable and I like the insurance that 4wd can offer. Neat looking interior man, I love the hardwood floors, looks like home :D
lots of good advice here. I agree with others who've said keep track of when you've NEEDED 4wd and then make your decisions on YOUR needs. Maybe you do maybe you don't. Here in the WET NW 4wd can be the difference between getting to camp or home or spending the night in the bush. Course the point about getting stuck further out is spot on and hit a little to close to home eh ;) HAHAHAHAHA

Cheers

DAve
Cheers

Dave

Saline

Adventurer
Due to a recent hub failure I found out that in wet conditions a 10,000lb 2wd van sucks.

Last edited:

zuren

Adventurer
I posted in the other thread as well....

I drool over 4x4 vans but I have decided to look for a diesel 2WD. The penalty in fuel mileage, more moving parts to maintain and my overall planned use (mostly long distance on pavement, shorter distances on fire/gravel road) just doesn't support having a beast like that. My plan is to have a rear locker, recovery gear and good sensibilities if the going gets too rough.

Nice van!

D

Deleted member 9101

I posted in the other thread as well....

I drool over 4x4 vans but I have decided to look for a diesel 2WD. The penalty in fuel mileage, more moving parts to maintain and my overall planned use (mostly long distance on pavement, shorter distances on fire/gravel road) just doesn't support having a beast like that. My plan is to have a rear locker, recovery gear and good sensibilities if the going gets too rough.

Nice van!

this logic is why I own a 2wd tundra on street tires...lol

Meekerfam

Observer
I do have a locker in the rear. plan on a tire change. front frame rail extentions to get a good winch mount and keep stock bumper look. put a rack up on roof, and will be set

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I do have a locker in the rear. plan on a tire change. front frame rail extentions to get a good winch mount and keep stock bumper look. put a rack up on roof, and will be set

Sounds sensible.

FWIW I have two sets of tires mounted on the same type of Chevy 5 spoke wheel.

My Kelly Pathfinder AT are light but tuff side wall, suprisingly good off road, great in rain. Got them as new returns to Discount tire $433 mounted etc. Wheels Craigslist $100. Sold my directional Chevy wheels on CL for $125. (Don't like that style at all)

I also have set of Goodyear Wrangler MT. Bought used off Expo, $450 to my door. CL another set of wheels for $125.

I figured, for aobut the cost of a new set of tires and custom wheels, I have two sets mounted and I won't need tires for atleast 75,000 miles.

I'm running the MT's on it currently, as I've done some 4x4 off road trips lately and have another one coming up in a couple weeks.

Then I'll swap back to the AT for the winter (they really do well in winter). We also do some long highway trips which of course the AT's a great for.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
@ spencyg.... The seat you see in his van is ford factory, I have an 86 2x2 as well. ford put out two styles of tube ,round and square. The brackets are 5/16 thick with good size bolts. compared to todays thin metal mounting brackets I totally trust mine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior