Dodge dually project....

Seabass

Idiot
Thanks Guys, I happened to run across a guy passing through my hometown lastnight who had just picked up a slide in that I'd been looking at on CL. He had a single wheel ton dodge long bed and it looked really good. His truck was about an 06 or 07 four door. Nice mud grips and coil spacers and heavy duty grill guard. He said the truck didn't notice the camper at all. Hesaid it may have felt a tic more top heavy but very little. But, it wasn't a pop-up style. I'd say it was two to three feet higher than the cab. I bet in my dually I wouldn't notice it at all. It sure looked a whole heap lot better than sleeping under a topper!

lstzephyr

wanderer
I think a slide in camper would work better for you than a topper simply because of your need/desire to tow your gooseneck. I think a topper would be a pain if you had to take it off more than a couple times in a season. A slide in camper would be much more self contained and just come off as a single unit.

The turtle trucks used four wheel camper granby slide ins, if you aren't familiar with them check out their website. They are pretty cool setup.

Seabass

Idiot
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm definitely going to look into a slide in camper. I will be lucky to find one wide enough to clear my big dually fenders. But I'll look any way. Also just installed tapatalk app and will attempt to load up a pic or two....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347592302.197493.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Any full size camper will work for your truck. You will just have to buy some "dually brackets". They run about $250 and can be found at any rv store. My new camper came with them, but I took them off as my F350 is srw. I may get a dually some day, so they are a nice thing to have in the shed.

Truck looks great. Glad to see tapatalk works!

Rot Box

Explorer
Great looking truck! :bike_rider:

A friend of mine has a Hallmark pop-up camper designed for a midsize truck and back when his truck was still a dually it was impossible to load it with the bolt on jacks. With a little work we could load it half way onto the truck then have 2-4 guys push it the rest of the way in lol. It actually worked pretty slick considering.

Seabass

Idiot
Advice appreciated fellas. I'm not finding much at the moment in the way of used slide ins. New is out of the question. I'm really really wanting a pop up made camper. I don't want a 13' tall rig. How many years back have pop up styles been made? Older often translates to cheaper. I am not afraid to remodel and repair to suit my needs. Wonder what I can expect to spend? Boy- that was an open ended question;-) also thought I'd load a pic of the ole truck hauling a load of trees to a local church. I'm just so happy I can post pics now!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347644763.617052.jpg

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
Search Craig's list. Pop ups seem to be harder to find around here. If your up for a road trip search the western states.
I'd say you could find something as cheap as $1000 on up but you get what you pay for.
Good looking dodge. I love my cummins diesel.

Rot Box

Explorer
I love seeing work trucks workin' :smiley_drive:

As for the slide in pop-ups they've been making them for a long time in fact Alaskans have been made since the 50's. One thing to take note of is the newer truck beds (94 and newer Dodges) are narrower than the older ones. Some older campers fit in the new beds--some don't so be sure to take some measurements before you pull the trigger on one. Check craigslist and such for deals I picked up my 1981 FWC for $250 and spent a day and a half cleaning it out. It has its issues but the price was right and all the appliances work. A friend paid $3000 for his Hallmark and interior wise it is much more modern and in overall near perfect shape. It just depend on what you're after and how much you're willing to spend I guess.

Seabass

Idiot
Oh and be sure to check out the pop-up forum if you haven't already: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/75-Pop-up-Truck-Campers

Thanks so much! I hadn't caught that there was a pop up forum. I will definitely do that. It would be great to pick up something in the 1000 and under price range. May get on the back burner for a while though..,goin in the mornin to look at a late nineties F-350 crew cab 4x4. Can we say "NEW PROJECT!!" actually it's gonna be my work truck if I buy it. Gonna make a tool/service truck out of it- but I know me....I'll have to mess with it!

Seabass

Idiot
Search Craig's list. Pop ups seem to be harder to find around here. If your up for a road trip search the western states.
I'd say you could find something as cheap as $1000 on up but you get what you pay for.
Good looking dodge. I love my cummins diesel.

Thanks for the compliment. I wouldn't hate to take a road trip...but it would be nice if the slide in was already in possession before the trip. I'll keep on lookin- not in a big hurry so I can afford to be patient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan