Dodge Ram 3500 Overland Build

topher800

Some Thuren control arms will enable you to run 35's with stock rims and no rub.

Yup, I am aware. But they only rub at or near full lock, so it is not worth the cost to me.

I use Kore's stiff coils up front simply because my camper weight demands it. Thuren's were too soft a rate although perfect for a lighter laden truck.

I have not done anything about front coils yet. Everything seems to have lift, and I don't want any lift. Center of gravity is already high enough... and I am in line with the AEV philosophy.

We seem to have lost track that lift was originally about getting bigger tires onto a vehicle with small wheel wells. Now it's like lifting is performed for the sake of lifting. The modern RAM wheel wells handle a 35" tire beautifully.

I315's would rub also with stock control arms.

Yes, worse than the 285's. I would be considering new control arms if I had gone with 315's. I see my wording in reference to the 315's was poor. I will edit.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Thanks for posting this. I went through a very similar exercise and it is very likely that a Dodge 2006 2500/3500 is in my future too.

That said, I did not know about the issue with the front axle hub/bearing.

Assuming someone don't want to drop $2000 on a free hub kit, would it be possible to just bring an extra hub assembly as a spare? Seems like they sell for about $200.

I am actually more concerned about the transmission. It seems like many of the 2006 I see listed mentioned that they have a "rebuild" transmission installed. Is that a potential issue?

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
First Road Test & Good Looking Couple

I have been on the road last 3 days, driving from Vancouver to Denver. The truck performed great and finally met its mate today. More on Hallmark Everest coming soon.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Thanks for posting this. I went through a very similar exercise and it is very likely that a Dodge 2006 2500/3500 is in my future too.

That said, I did not know about the issue with the front axle hub/bearing.

Assuming someone don't want to drop $2000 on a free hub kit, would it be possible to just bring an extra hub assembly as a spare? Seems like they sell for about $200.

I am actually more concerned about the transmission. It seems like many of the 2006 I see listed mentioned that they have a "rebuild" transmission installed. Is that a potential issue?

Hi Christian, thanks for the comment.

This is my first Dodge and I have been driving it 8 months only, so my knowledge base comes from research not from experience. Before I have chosen Ram 3500 as an overlanding vehicle, I was worried about two things, 48RE transmission and fuel injectors. More I read about these two problems more a pattern started to emerge.
* 0.3 micron or better fuel filter and fuel/water separator is a good remedy for the fuel injector problems.
* if you leave 5.9 Cummins completely stock and don't tow heavy loads often 48RE actually handles the torque pretty well and last long time.

Mine was rebuilt @81k miles by the previous owner and I am hoping to get more then 120k miles this time around. I would be very curious also about other Dodge owners experience in this forum with 48RE transmission, how long did it last with stock engine and ~2500 lbs camper?

Last edited:

my1stcummins

Adventurer
The only faults I have had with my truck in 60,000 miles was the transmission pressure transducer/solenoid, and an injector failure(likely due to bad fuel years ago in Alaska). When I had my transmission repaired I was instructed that the bands need regular adjusting or inspection (I can't remember the intervals).

I installed a 2 micron fuel filter system since then. The kit was easy to install and still retains the factory filter as a primary filter. As you may know the factory Mopar filter is not adequate or up to the filtration requirements recommended by Bosch for the common rail system on our trucks.

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=MK20307-CHMB

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The only faults I have had with my truck in 60,000 miles was the transmission pressure transducer/solenoid, and an injector failure(likely due to bad fuel years ago in Alaska). When I had my transmission repaired I was instructed that the bands need regular adjusting or inspection (I can't remember the intervals).

I installed a 2 micron fuel filter system since then. The kit was easy to install and still retains the factory filter as a primary filter. As you may know the factory Mopar filter is not adequate or up to the filtration requirements recommended by Bosch for the common rail system on our trucks.

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=MK20307-CHMB

Drop a Baldwin PF7977 5 micron in the factory canister if you don't already. Perfect fit and replaces the 7 micron Fleetguard.

SonOfNeptune

Nice build thread. I picked up some great ideas for my build. Just picked up a 2014 RAM 2500 Power Wagon. Question for you... Do you think the ARB twin air compressor would fit in the location where you installed yours?

Attachments

• IMG_6945.jpg
    IMG_6945.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 73

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Nice build thread. I picked up some great ideas for my build. Just picked up a 2014 RAM 2500 Power Wagon. Question for you... Do you think the ARB twin air compressor would fit in the location where you installed yours?

Nice Truck! I will be watching your build.
In my Ram 3500, ARB twin air compressor wouldn't fit in that spot. It was a tight fit for ARB CKMA12 model.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Nice build and write ups.

I have a 2006 Ram 3500 mega cab single rear wheel I am building. Trying to figure out where I want to mount my blue sea 12 circuit with negative bus fuse block.

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Pioneer AVH-4000NEX 2-DIN Install

41770333681_de6a4c72cc_o.jpg

I wish I took more photos during this installation. This was the first mod I did after purchasing the truck last summer. It was a challenging and fun project.
I have chosen Pioneer 4000NEX for several reasons,

• Bluetooth hands free calling and audio streaming
  • Rear-view camera input
  • Apple CarPlay
  • Built-in ipod, iphone, ipad control
  • Siri hands free operation
  • Detachable 7″ touchscreen
  • USB inputs (2)
  • Dual zone audio

Dodge's head unit is a 1.5 DIN (180 x 75 mm panel) however Pioneer is a Double DIN (180 x 100 mm panel). Challenge was how to fit a Double DIN unit into the smaller opening and don't end up with cheap looking plastic all around. Dodge's dash radio bezel also had two semi-circle eyelets that needed to be filled. I also wanted to keep the little compartment under the stereo.

41052279224_c9fb53eaab_o.jpg

The width was ok, but the height of the opening needed to be centered and enlarged. Little grove behind the bezel proved to be a good guide for the bottom edge. With my Dremel Tool I cut to the rough measurement. I used set of fine files for final touches. Using bezel as a guide I marked and cut two pieces of hard plastic to fill the semi-circle eyelets.

41770327441_2a7912b504_o.jpg

With Lepage Epoxy, I glued the plastic pieces to the bezel. This product is really strong and easy to work with.

41052263304_9a6a7c1294_o.jpg

After testing the fit, I used Bondo Body Filler and 400 Grit Wet Sand Paper to finish the bezel. I was never a fan of silver finish so I primed and painted it to black.

41770325491_f76e669911_o.jpg

41052270184_ed5cf15d5d_o.jpg

The real challenge came with the wiring. My truck was/is equipped with Infinity Sound System that has 7 speakers and an amplifier that was communicating with the original head unit through the Can Bus Protocol (Controlled Area Network). It was impossible to trick. I thought about running new wires to speakers but that was too much work and I still wanted to use the amplifier. I found PAC C2#-CHY4 harness that was compatible with amplified Infinity system.

40870939475_6999994445_o.jpg

I used Metra Axxess ASWC-1 to retain the factory steering wheel controls.

41770602421_6f40c127a1_o.jpg

Pioneer 4000NEX has two USB inputs but they are on the back of the unit. Using two PAC USBCBL I brought the inputs to much more convenient spot.

41770338701_14bbf65693_o.jpg

Next, I installed Esky High Definition back up camera.

41729016422_b1598c60f3_o.jpg

Pioneer 4000NEX does not come with navigation (optinal). However, since it is Apple CarPlay compatible, I can use my Iphone's navigation and ask Siri to find the addresses for me. I also love using Pandora.

27901198798_05a47bc851_o.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12