Dodge Ram 3500 Overland Build

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Looks good.

What map/GPS program are you using on your tablet and how did you mount it?

I mostly use Google maps and ForeverMap app. If you have cellular connection they work great with no glitch. If you don't have cellular coverage however, you can download the maps in advance and still have most of the same functionality. All you need is a smartphone or tablet with GPS chip. I have used ForeverMap in Europe and was impressed about its accuracy.

forevermap.jpg

Here is a quick link about how to save Google maps for offline use.
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-google-maps-offline-on-ios-android/

I also have a Garmin Nuvi 2595 that I really like. I can download maps from OSM for any country for free.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/51.500/-0.100

I will post about my Ipad mount in coming days.

Last edited:

CCPAJeeper

Observer
Guys, if you check your front wheel bearings every 5K miles or so, you can catch one going bad. They do not just instantly go with no warning. I just replaced one on my 2500 and a while back on my son's 1500. Jack it up, grab the wheel top and bottom and alternate pressure. you can tell if they are getting loose.

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
iPad Mount Install

Ipad Mount Install.jpg

I am hoping in our travels, we will visit places where there are still no man made roads. We will be relying heavily on GPS devices, navigation apps and paper maps for finding our way. I have a Garmin Nuvi unit I like and plan to use it with OSM maps but having a second navigation software I can trust is a must for me. I have been using ForeverMap developed by Skobbler and really like it. I can download the maps in advance and use it without any cellular coverage. So I decided to mount my iPad somewhere I can glance easily but still able to access all the controls on the dashboard.

I have just driven more than 3K miles, from Vancouver BC to Denver Colorado and back and the setup works great. iPads retina touch screen is way superior to Pioneer or Garmin.
This project was on my todo list so I was on the lookout for something I can use and modify to my liking. I picked up Slingshot360 Stand at Costco.

Ipad Mount Install 2.jpg

Here are step by step instructions:

1. Disassemble the round base by removing the screw.
Ipad Mount Install 1.jpg

2. I wanted to be able to access all the controls behind the iPad when it is mounted. Line with the red arrows will line up with the dashboard face.
Ipad Mount Install 4.jpg

3. To strengthen and lessen the stress on the plastic I used piece of thin metal and secured it with the same screw from step 1. Then I drilled couple of holes that will be used to attach the mount to ceiling of the dashboard pocket.
Ipad Mount Install 3.jpg

4. I lined up the mount and marked the measurements on the dashboard pocket. There is enough clearance for nuts.
Ipad Mount Install 6.jpg

5. Although the dashboard pocket insert is made up of very sturdy ABS, I used the rest of the metal piece as an additional support. I lined up and drilled two holes and used small bolts, washers and locking nuts to secure the mount to the pocket insert.
Ipad Mount Install 7.jpg

6. I attached the pocket insert to the head unit bezel and put everything back on the dash. Here is how it looks without iPad.
Ipad Mount Install 8.jpg

7. Here is with the piece that holds the iPad.
Ipad Mount Install 9.jpg

8. Final pictures with iPad mounted. It takes 5 seconds to put in and remove the iPad from the dash. I use USB ports I installed with Pioneer 4000NEX to power/charge the iPad. Once it is connected to Pioneer, either with cable or with bluetooth, audio directions from Google Maps or ForeverMap can be heard through stereo.
Ipad Mount Install 10.jpg

Last edited:

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
iPad Mount Install Part II

Portrait mode.
Ipad Mount Install 11.jpg

If I need to access the controls behind, I simply push down the iPad and push it back up once I am done.
Ipad Mount Install 12.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yup, I am aware. But they only rub at or near full lock, so it is not worth the cost to me.

I have not done anything about front coils yet. Everything seems to have lift, and I don't want any lift. Center of gravity is already high enough... and I am in line with the AEV philosophy.

We seem to have lost track that lift was originally about getting bigger tires onto a vehicle with small wheel wells. Now it's like lifting is performed for the sake of lifting. The modern RAM wheel wells handle a 35" tire beautifully.

Yes, worse than the 285's. I would be considering new control arms if I had gone with 315's. I see my wording in reference to the 315's was poor. I will edit.

I had every intention of leaving my suspension stock but the 1900# wet Northstar overwhelmed my 2500 front coils. The Kore's stabilized the load and only yielded maybe 2.5" of lift. Thuren valved some 2.5 Kings for me years ago and like you the Hellwig swaybar helped a bunch too. I recently upgraded the front linkage with this. Dodge should have used this to begin with.

http://www.cjcoffroad.com/Synergy-Dodge-Ram-2500-3500-Heavy-Duty-Steering-p/8525-01.htm

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Where was the reverse wire that you tapped into for the rearview camera?

In 2007 Dodge Ram 3500, it is the white with light green wire. Here is the wiring diagram for Reverse Light Circuit, and wiring color code.

Reverse Light Wiring.jpg

Wiring Color Code.jpg

If I remember right, you can tap into it under the knee bolster panel.

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Defiant Rock Shield

Next project. I picked up this Rock Shield from a fellow forum member. I am waiting for a rain break to install it.

Defiant Rock Guard 2.jpg

Defiant Rock Guard.jpg

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Defiant Rock Shield Install

Defiant Rock Guard 2.jpg

I thought underneath of my truck was too exposed and wanted to protect the radiator, turbointercooler, steering box and air conditioning condenser. The skid plate will give me a piece of mind on rough terrain. Install took couple hours and it was easy. Here are step by step instructions:

1. Remove the 4 bolts that are holding the sway bar in place.
Passenger side.
Defiant Rock Shield Install 1.jpg

Driver side.
Defiant Rock Shield Install 3.jpg

2. Defiant Rock Shield has 3 holes on its front face. They line up with the holes on the inner face of the front bumper. Push the plastic screws out and use 1" bolts, flat washers and locking nuts to secure the shield.
Defiant Rock Shield Install 5.jpg

Here is a view between the front bumper and the radiator.
Defiant Rock Shield Install 4.jpg

3. The shield is installed by sandwiching it between the stock sway bar and the frame.
Defiant Rock Shield Install 7.jpg

Note the hole for the steering box sector shaft nut. It allows access to the nut so I can check it for tightness without having to remove the skidplate for access.
Defiant Rock Guard.jpg

Last edited:

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Hallmark Everest & Dodge Ram 3500

We got a break from rain today in Vancouver so I washed the road salt off of the truck and took some pictures. I will post more pictures of Hallmark Everest camper in Pop-up Truck Campers forum.

Dodge Ram & Hallmark Camper.jpg

Dodge Ram & Hallmark Camper 2.jpg

Dodge Ram & Hallmark Camper 3.jpg

sg1

Adventurer
Interesting thread. Great choice of base vehicle. I have now been overlanding for 6 years in Africa, Europe and presently in Latin America. My advice is to keep the mods of the base vehicle to a minimum and as simple as possible. It is usually difficult but possible to get spares for stock parts especially of older vehicles. Don't even think about getting spares for US aftermarket parts outside North America. I would not lift the truck. You already have plenty of ground clearance for anything you are likely to encounter and lifting changes the whole geometry of your suspension and drive train. It looks great but is a waste of money for 3rd world trips. Add one or two leafs to your rear axle (easily replaced if broken), perhaps stiffer springs for your front axle if it feels to soft and some heavy duty shocks. Use steel rims, 3rd world tire repair guys often use tools which are damaging aluminum rims. Use the highest load rating you can find and I found AT tires a good compromise between on road performance and ruggedness. 90+% will be on paved roads, even in Africa. Use a tire size you can find in the countries you plan to visit. Shocks filters and tires are the only parts I had to replace so far after 80,000 km of overlanding. The most useful mod so far was a tire pressure monitoring system. Thanks to this gadget I detected 3 punctures before the tires were seriously damaged.
My 2 cents. Stefan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger