Dodge Ram 5500 motorhome

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
After leaving ITB we made some miles to get to some sun. Our first scenic stop was Kolob Canyon just south of St George UT. Oh ya, I guess I never mentioned where we were going. We headed from home down to UT, then to Vegas to visit some friends then the plan is to head to Flagstaff, Sedona, Phoenix to visit friends, fire up the barby OZ, then on to San Diego, LA and up the coast back through Portland and British Columbia to home.

Ward

Ward, so that means that you're going to let Mike Hiscox and I treat you and Annie to dinner in Portland, right?? :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I don't know if you plan to go back to the Kolob area but we enjoyed the drive up from Kanarraville to Kolob resevoir on the Kanarra Mountain Road. The reservoir had some nice places to camp and the road was in reasonable condition the whole way. There was some good hiking in the Lava Point area too.

If you do make it to the Grand Canyon, we found an awesome campsite right on the rim in the national Forrest. Graded dirt roads the whole way there. I put a marker on ioverlander:

http://ioverlander.com/places/12157-saddle-mountain-wilderness

Never seen that site before, thank you!!

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
Never seen that site before, thank you!!

No problem, I was introduced to it by a couple I met in Guanajuato. It was fairly new and not very useful when I first started to use it but its much better now. Strangely the US is pretty under used for decent boondocking sites.

Healeyjet

Explorer
One last shot of our camping spot outside Sedona, AZ

We left Sedona headed for Prescott. If you haven't done the drive up over the hill past Jerome, an old mining town, try to do it. The road is nice and twisty with lots of elevation changes, skinny going through Jerome but absolutley beautifull all the way.
Stopped for a quick photo op just west of Jerome.

We were headed over to Prescott to visit with Mario and Martyn of AT Overland. We became friends with Mario and Martyn after they built the Habitat for our Jeep. Martyn gave us a nice tour of all of o the new aluminum Habitats they are building for the Tacoma, nice work guys!

After that it was off for supper with Mario to Park Plaza Liquor and Pizza. This is one of those spots only the locals know about and we absolutely loved it.
Mario and I trying to read the box of Annie's left over pizza. Mario and I had the Mac and Cheese which was perfect.

Saturday morning early found us in the Cruiser headed to Frank Lloyd Wrights winter home and studio, Taliesin, in Scottsdale AZ. We took the three hour tour and were treated to great access to the facilities. Desert style is not my favourite FLLW style but I can appreciate it nonetheless.

While visiting friends in Mesa AZ they suggested we go to Organ Stop Pizza. Another bit of Americana that should not be missed (if that's your thing). Pizza was excellent but that is three meals in a row of pizza so we are on to something else for a bit.

A walk down to the Salt River in Mesa the next day to look for wild horses. Non were seen on this day but the desert is really starting to come alive after the recent heavy rains.

After leaving our friends in Mesa it was of for a day of shopping for Annie in Scottsdale while I worked in the Cruiser.
A hardy breakfast to keep her going during a rigorous shopping experience.

Annie getting ready to take on the shops at the Scottsdale Fashion Mall.

The readers who are really paying attention will notice a larger mirror in the bathroom. I sized a mirror originally that Annie felt was too small as she couldn't see below her waist and she needed to see her shirt / pant combinations, LOL.

This is the view from our bed at night. We hang the privacy/thermal curtan up and leave the bathroom door open. It makes it like an en suite bathroom, LOL.

After shopping it was over to meet Ozrocket and spend the evening swapping stories. Bevan and Claire were excellent hosts and Annie and I look forward to meeting up with them again on the road somewhere, hopefully Baja as they are experienced there and we would love to go but are uncertain.

Oz's new RV is really starting to take shape and the plans he has for it are amazing. If you don't follow his build look for it and subscribe!

After leaving beautiful Phoenix area we headed out into the desert just outside Quartzsite, AZ.
A nice meal of tacos and some relaxation were on the menu this night.

A shot this morning of the sun coming up behind the Cruiser. This is where we will spend the day!

java

Expedition Leader
Looks like such a nice trip! Thanks for the update.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Mike, we ordered our blinds from Home Depot.

The company is MaxxMar Inc. a Canadian company.

They are double roller shades with no strings or chains and no attachments at the bottom. There is a whitish shade that is the blackout shade and a darker colour shade that only blocks 10% of the light.

Bellagio roller shades.
Outside mount
Bottom up

We have never used them before so it is a trial run for us. We will report back after a few thousand miles and many nights sleep.

Ward

I realize this is from long ago in this thread, but how are you liking these? Do they seem to insulate at all?

I am also wondering if these are Canada HD only, I am not finding them at all.... I really like the double blind aspect.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Yes, we still like them especially the double blind part. I believe they are Made in Canada so possibly only HD Canada. Annie had to make some pom poms for the pulls as we could hear them swinging and hitting the walls while we drove. Annie's thought is that she probably could have sewn something that just pulled up and was tied up when not in use. We did a different "blind" on the door that we only use at night. It is made of the same cloth as our bedspread and privacy curtains and hooks onto some of the studs we had installed for that purpose. Our privacy curtains and bedspread were purchased from Ikea. The bedspread Annie shortened side to side so it doesn't cover our heat vents and the privacy curtains she deconstructed the bedspreads and rebuilt them to our configuration As well she added button holes to hang them on the studs. This system could easily have been used for blinds / black out shades as well and provided a little insulation. To be honest, we have only been down to about 20 degrees while sleeping in the camper. Our heater works so well that the camper is not cold at all and we don't notice any heat loss through the windows. We DO however have condensation/frost on the inside of the truck cab windows when it is cold outside as the cab isn't insulated at all and our curtain is only clipped on so not really heatproof.
Ward

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks Ward!! Ill have to go inquire in person, I don't see them online.

I need some insulation as my truck gets lots of sub freezing use. I like the light shade though.

I am thinking on honeycomb blinds, as they are supposed to insulate slightly. They will do top down/bottom up, which give the same effect, a little light but still some privacy.

Healeyjet

Explorer
This is our bedroom / rest of the Cruiser privacy curtain put way for the day. Here you can see the button holes and studs we used to hang it.
Ward

java

Expedition Leader
Planning to do something similar for my cab pass though! I wish I had the sewing talent.... I do have a machine, I just need a lot of practice.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Planning to do something similar for my cab pass though! I wish I had the sewing talent.... I do have a machine, I just need a lot of practice.

I know lots of guys that get moving blankets and use them for what you want - myself included. Good price, good insulation, little sewing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior