DOG ramp, access, ladder, lift, up?

5Runner

Adventurer
I searched and searched and I can't find any topic on this, so I made my title very search friendly.

I am just wrapping up my test version 1.0 of my cargo build in my new Land Cruiser. His spot is in the upper left of this photo:
IMG_20110425_123838.jpg

I had a similar build in 4runner and my dog had no problem jumping in and getting out. In the LC there is a tailgate and it eliminates the dog's use of the bumper that is lower. There is no way he can jump up to the tail gate unless backed up to a hill. He jumps off it, but that's not good for him...it's pretty high. That also won't work when he gets older.

So...what opinions are out there about getting an 85 lb dog that loves to get dirty, wet and roll in poop every so often in and out of a tall vehicle. What experiences have you had? How do you handle this?

I don't want to pick him up and down all the time if I can come up with something else.

Thanks and hope we get a thread about this topic for the forum! :)

matt s

Explorer
Does the seat in front on that area fold down? If so teach them to get in that door and then up to their spot. If your worried about the back of the seat you can always put a towel on it or better yet cover that one with a seat cover.

I do something similar for my two goldens. They are getting on in age and clearing the tailgate on the blazer is getting harder for them. They still do it, but miss about 1/4 of the time and go careening backwards and down.

Now I open the driver door and they jump in the foot well then turn and hop over the console into the back. Works slick and the jump is one they can make for years to come. They come out the same way. It took a little training to keep them out of my seat but not much.

Good luck!

Desert Dan

Explorer
Fold down the rear seat, get seat covers.
What is the purpose of the center high section by the water cans?

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I'm in the same boat w/my 12yo Shephard, except he can't even jump in via the seats, just too much work for him. I have to pick him up (he loves that)...

I carry a few larger towels in the back of the truck, specifically in case he's muddy/wet/covered in poop. I just wrap him up with the towels and pick him up, never had any issues on me (but I wouldn't do it in a suit). Otherwise, I've looked at making a fold-out ramp that he can climb up, but I haven't had any major problems using the towels...

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I start training my dogs as pups not to freak when I pick them up. One arm under chest the other under rump. If you practice every so often they stay use to it. Then when the inevitable day comes that they can't make the jump into a truck it's just a matter of teaching them not to try.

As they get older they tend not to get as filthy so that becomes less of an issue when lifting.

5Runner

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies.

As far as going through the seats, I considered that in my design, but with three car seats across the back, usually containing small children, It's not really any better. I would have to get two kids out and their seats every time. Thanks for the thought though.

Good point about older dogs being a bit less active and into poop rolling. I can picture my buddy's older dog now...hardly moves the whole trip.

I've thought about a folding dog ladder, but to be effective, it can't have too much slope, and that means it's going to take up a fair bit of room...something I don't have to spare.

Still looking for a solution. Moab trip is in one week, so I'll get 5 days of practice with lifting the dog every time. Luckily he is very obedient, so he lets me pick him up no problem.

Here's the king in his throne from last weekends trail run. Notice the crossed paws...how royal!
IMG_20110501_115700.jpg

5Runner

Adventurer
Fold down the rear seat, get seat covers.
What is the purpose of the center high section by the water cans?

Forgot to answer your question. The flat surface in the center upper of the build is for my fire extinguisher and MagLight to mount to.

XJINTX

Explorer
Funny timing... I was just at Cabela's and I got a doggie ramp there for $60 on sale. I have jeep XJ's so a bit lower but my older lab needs help. I will test when I get home from currrent work travel. I will also try on my pickup as it is a lot higher. It's plastic and folds in half down flat... should store fine.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We have two Akitas. Our 115# male has no problem jumping up into the back of our FJ Cruiser, but usually he's got the entire width of the vehicle to jump into. In addition to the height and the tailgate, I would guess the narrow space you have left for the dog could also create some problems in terms of getting the dog to leap in on his own.

For some reason our 95# female Akita is very reluctant to jump into the vehicle. We've seen her do it a couple times, so she is capable, but just doesn't want to make the leap usually. At 95# she is a little large and akward to pick up. I've done it a couple times, but not something I'd like to make a habit of doing. We have a folding dog ramp (not sure about the source, I could find that out if you are interested), and that works fine. The problem with the ramp is it's large and akward to carry around. My preferred solution is to get her in the back in two steps. The first thing I do is to put her front paws up on the rear bumper. Then, I reach down and grab her rear legs just above her feet pick her up. What usually happens is about as soon as I begin to lift her rear she jumps in on her own, so I don't usually have to actually lift her up.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
How about you put a second base where the dog lays down that's narrow but as deep as the dog space...put carpet on it, like a 2nd floor...then when he wanted to get in, you rest it against the rear bumper, he walks up the ramp and steps up to his space? Not sure the angle it would create, but I'm guessing he could walk up it pretty easily?

Here's where I'd put the ramp for storage, basically make it a 2nd floor of the dog area

Attachments

• ramp.jpg
    ramp.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 31

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I'm guessing that the area under his spot is a drawer. How about putting a second face on that drawer front that can fold down creating a internment platform for him to use as a lower platform to hop up to and then into his area. After he is in, fold-up the face and latch to the ‘normal' drawer front. If you do that, make sure whatever traction material you put on the internment platform is on, prior to mounting to the normal face, so the spacing is correct.
Or space the drawer up in it's area enough to have a slide out platform under it, perhaps 3/4 inch plywood (this would give him a larger internment platform then the above idea).

Casper

Adventurer
With Porthos weighing in at over 140, I'm not picking him up to get in the truck, and as you pointed out, jumping out is not good for them either. I got him a ramp, and it works great. (edit, this is my old folding ramp, his new one is all aluminum and slides together)

casper1.jpg

He walks right up and in to his space no problems at all. This is his section.

IMG_2096.jpg

And here is where I store the ramp, it is all aluminum and "slides" down to half it's open length. The ramp is the silver thing with the handle, on top of everything.

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

And, because a dog thread should have a photo or two of our buds. :)

_MG_1343_1280x768_.jpg

_MG_1266_1280x768_.jpg

_MG_1265_1280x768_.jpg

Hope you don't mind the extra photos. :)

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

5Runner

Adventurer
There's no way the dog is going to jump up into the spot. There is no using the bumper because a 100 series land cruiser has a tailgate that folds down. It's way too tall.

Thanks for posting the ramp pics, Casper. That seems like it works well.

Casper

Adventurer
Thanks for posting the ramp pics, Casper. That seems like it works well.

Anytime, and yea it works great. He loves it and will just sit by his door and wait for me to put the ramp up for him. :wings:

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

5Runner

Adventurer
Just got back from my first test of the cargo build. I worked well, and I already have a list of changes to make. I had to lift Ruff-Ruff (kids named him) in and out every time, but it wasn't so bad. I'm still making plans on how to make him a ramp though.

Here he is at the base of Hummer Hill on Behind the Rocks in Moab last weekend...getting some shade.

On a side note, the first day on Poison Spider we had the windows down the whole time and the cargo window on his side cracked open. Even with frequently getting out and getting water he got overheated pretty bad. The next day I closed his window and turned on the rear AC that points right to his spot. He was a happy dog that day. Good thing I didn't remove the rear AC like I had considered at one time.

ruffgettingshade.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan