Dolores: Our 2003 Tundra Build

J!m

Nice to see a carefully conceived build.

How did you get to Tuk in the warmer months? Rivers are thawed too thin and no roads?

DirtTrailsWanted

Nice to see a carefully conceived build.

How did you get to Tuk in the warmer months? Rivers are thawed too thin and no roads?
Thanks so much! In '17 a year round road was completed. In the warmer months there are ferry crossings on the rivers.

DirtTrailsWanted

How has the weBoost performed? Noticeable difference worth the cost?
I think overall it has worked really well for us! Its importance for us has decreased a bit since the addition of Starlink, but this really fills in the gaps or expands cell phone coverage areas since we don't drive with the Starlink antenna on our truck.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
What a great looking rig! I love that most of your mods are practical versus gaudy.

DirtTrailsWanted

What a great looking rig! I love that most of your mods are practical versus gaudy.
Thanks so much! We have truly tried to stick to doing things to the truck that feels absolutely necessary for the way we travel. The snorkel is a prime example I think: truly I HATE having it on the truck, but at this point, we have crossed enough bodies of water in our travels through Alaska, Canada, and surprisingly in Baja that it's been a well justifies addition. It sure beats a hydro-locked motor.

Another one, and ill likely catch some heat for this is LED lights. There is definitely a part of me that wants them, especially the classic 2 round lights on the front bumper. But truth be told, we have the luxury that this is our full-time travel setup and we have the option to NOT drive at night, so there isn't a need for dumping around 1-2k+ in a lighting system that I would be happy with. We just simply don't have a need for it, but I do love the look.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Thanks so much! We have truly tried to stick to doing things to the truck that feels absolutely necessary for the way we travel. The snorkel is a prime example I think: truly I HATE having it on the truck, but at this point, we have crossed enough bodies of water in our travels through Alaska, Canada, and surprisingly in Baja that it's been a well justifies addition. It sure beats a hydro-locked motor.

Another one, and ill likely catch some heat for this is LED lights. There is definitely a part of me that wants them, especially the classic 2 round lights on the front bumper. But truth be told, we have the luxury that this is our full-time travel setup and we have the option to NOT drive at night, so there isn't a need for dumping around 1-2k+ in a lighting system that I would be happy with. We just simply don't have a need for it, but I do love the look.

Less is more when possible. I added some entry-level Hella lights to my bumper a while back to "complete the look" of the bumper and kinda wish I didn't since I really don't use them often. Some small low-pro ditch lights would be useful though for night driving down the highways but, like you, I don't need the light of the sun mounted on the vehicle.

Do you find yourself needing more light in the back though for camp?

DirtTrailsWanted

Less is more when possible. I added some entry-level Hella lights to my bumper a while back to "complete the look" of the bumper and kinda wish I didn't since I really don't use them often. Some small low-pro ditch lights would be useful though for night driving down the highways but, like you, I don't need the light of the sun mounted on the vehicle.

Do you find yourself needing more light in the back though for camp?
less is definitely more.
The lights in the back are actually surprisingly sufficient, kinda again keeping to the keep it simple modo there. We do occasionally use some goal zero crush lights if we are hanging out outside with other people around, it's nice to have some additional outside light occasionally, but we have never needed it enough that we have decided to hard wire something to the camper top.

DirtTrailsWanted

June ‘23, Center Carrier Bearing.

After driving a significant portion of the Baja Divide Trail Dolores was in need of some TLC, we started ticking off the list by replacing our worn and sagging center carrier bearing that supports our drive shaft.
BCM09150.jpg

BCM09151.jpg

BCM09153.jpg

BCM09156.jpg

June ‘23, Suspension Maxx Endlinks.

Another wear point that needed some attention after Baja was our sway bar end links, we installed a longer end link produced by Suspension Maxx that will hopefully work better with the lift on the front end of the truck.
BCM09165.jpg

BCM09160.jpg

BCM09166.jpg

June ‘23, Alu Box Storage.

In preparation for carrying around our recently purchased packrafts we decided to swap out our roof storage boxes for some Alu Box 60L boxes, these are weatherproof and will greatly protect our boats during travel.
BCM09854.jpg

BCM09372.jpg

BCM09364.jpg

BCM09380.jpg

BCM09375.jpg

BCM09381.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online