Dreaming of a Perentie Turning an ex ADF 6x6 into an expedition vehicle

carts

Adventurer
I love watching this build, what beast the 6x is. I recently spent a few weeks with the Aussie Army boys in Hawaii and they had a few 6x with them for mobile mechanic and armorer vehicles. I was absolutely amazed of the performance of this thing with the low range box; it really just crawled over everything, the approach/departure and lateral angles were amazing.

They carried a ton of weight in those things and would modify them to lower the CG by putting some of those external boxes like you have on the roof down low in front of the first axle behind the cab. Of course they had to cut the body area out but it was worth it. Not sure if they are the same boxes as the turret stand as they still had those in the cab but they mounted boxes in that frame area in front of the 1st rear axle and those things were stuffed full of fluids, parts, recovery gear, etc... Might be an option for you as I am not sure what the work would entail. By the looks of your project, I don't think there is anything you can't accomplish.

anxiously following the thread!

E

Hi Victory
you live in a nice part of the world spent some time there in my youth whilst wearing a uniform.
Thank for the insight will have a look at options
regards
Geoff

carts

Adventurer
Servicing part 1 oil and fuel filters

I am not sure about others but I do become frustrated on forums some times.
We were looking for information on what filters sizes fitted out 6x6 it a standard Isuzu 4BDT-1 so a lot of them around.
There is some one advertising a starter kit for Perenties at a over the top cost.
A lot of groups saying that parts are not available for them and the such.

All I wanted was some one who had changed the filters for generic ones and knew that they fitted so here in the hope of helping some one else is what I wanted.
I replaced the oil and fuel filters with Fleet guard ones.
I have taken pictures of the filters I removed with the fleet guard ones next to them and also pics of the fleet guard ones on the vehicle.
No hassles.

oh and if you want a job to do once but never again try replacing the pinion seal on the rear diff of a 6x6. The flange nut was so tight I bent the tool I made for holding the flange. It need 6 mm by 30 mm flat plate welded to it for reinforcing. I apologise to any one who was close enough to hear the swearing when I was swinging on the braker bar. Once is enough but I can say I have done it ;-).
will added more when time and the adult supervision alow
regards
Carts from WA

Attachments

• fuel filter 1.jpg
    fuel filter 1.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 26
  • fuel filter 2.jpg
    fuel filter 2.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 23
  • oil filter 1.jpg
    oil filter 1.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 24
  • oil bypass filter 1.jpg
    oil bypass filter 1.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 25
  • filters on 1.jpg
    filters on 1.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 24

carts

Adventurer
As an FYI for a bit of fun
Do you know the problem with having a 6 wheel drive?
You have to borrow a set of axle stands as you now have 3 axles to get off the ground and who has 6 axle stands at home ?
here I am getting ready to repack all of the wheel bearings and replace all of the hub seals
cheers
Geoff

Attachments

• on stands.jpg
    on stands.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 24

carts

Adventurer
Air Tank

I have an air tank on my disco that is filled by a mechanical pump (old AC compressor) it allows us to run air tools and is great for de dusting and general repairs.
I wanted to have the same outcome on this vehicle but using an 12 V compressor.

So I put in a larger volume tank on the weekend. It has been bolted using U bolts made from threaded rod in a space that could have almost been designed for it just after the cab and in a spot that is raised in the living area. Its up out of the way I hope of any stray sticks and the like.

The other side of the tank has a safety valve and a pressure switch that I will wire into a relay so that the compressor switches on and off. With a missile launch toggle switch in the cab and all will be sweet I hope.
I will use the nylon line to join the compressor to the tank with the push connector visible in the image. the elbow on the bottom of the tank will take the same type of line to a tap that I can drain the tank with where the tap is placed so I can get to it with out climbing under the vehicle. The standard brass push fitting is to take a hose that I will use to run to another fitting that I have mounted in a place that is in an easy access location, this way I can just attach my air line with ease and comfort.

No bracker bars for me when I need to rotate tyres ;-)
cheers and more to come when Time and the adult supervision allows.
Carts from WA

Attachments

• comp tank 1.jpg
    comp tank 1.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 23
  • comp tank 2.jpg
    comp tank 2.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 22

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Depending on the compressor I would recommend running some copper out of the compressor then changing to plastic pipe. Compressed air can get bloody hot.

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Hi Dividing Creek
They are slow. As frequently touted all vehicles are based on compromise, I am planning on spending more time on dirt/unsealed roads than sealed ones so I am not planing on changing the diff ratios. We are building a rig for a year long holiday that if we like it will then be a move to travelling around the world slowly ;-)

There have been a number of people who have changed the diff ratios on forums including Jitterbug (Dave) who had a 6x6 build on this forum (I seam to remember him doing that but I could be wrong). If we were going to use the vehicle like we currently do in flogging the guts out of our Disco to get out into the bush and then slowing down to enjoy the week end and flogging it back to the big smoke then we would have to do something.

How are you finding the Right hand drive are you going to change it over and if so how are you handling the Isuzu manifold exhaust shift?
regards
Geoff

That's right, I changed mine out to 4.11, a happy medium between the 4.7s it came with and the 3.54 that regular defenders use!

DividingCreek

Explorer
Hi Dividing Creek
They are slow. As frequently touted all vehicles are based on compromise, I am planning on spending more time on dirt/unsealed roads than sealed ones so I am not planing on changing the diff ratios. We are building a rig for a year long holiday that if we like it will then be a move to travelling around the world slowly ;-)

There have been a number of people who have changed the diff ratios on forums including Jitterbug (Dave) who had a 6x6 build on this forum (I seam to remember him doing that but I could be wrong). If we were going to use the vehicle like we currently do in flogging the guts out of our Disco to get out into the bush and then slowing down to enjoy the week end and flogging it back to the big smoke then we would have to do something.

How are you finding the Right hand drive are you going to change it over and if so how are you handling the Isuzu manifold exhaust shift?
regards
Geoff

We have a bunch of rhd vehicles here already. I have no issues with rhd, sometimes walk to the wrong door but otherwise no issues once behind the wheel.
The GS 110 I have here has KLR's manifold and larger turbo setup and it sits up a good bit higher than the stock manifold. It looks as though changing the downpipe routing slightly would make a lhd conversion easy. http://www.klrautomotive.com.au/turbo-systems/
On the 6x6 with the additional width between the frame rails, clearance would be no problem @ all. The bulkhead and dash mods would be the hassle on the 6x6.

carts

Adventurer
We have a bunch of rhd vehicles here already. I have no issues with rhd, sometimes walk to the wrong door but otherwise no issues once behind the wheel.
The GS 110 I have here has KLR's manifold and larger turbo setup and it sits up a good bit higher than the stock manifold. It looks as though changing the downpipe routing slightly would make a lhd conversion easy. http://www.klrautomotive.com.au/turbo-systems/
On the 6x6 with the additional width between the frame rails, clearance would be no problem @ all. The bulkhead and dash mods would be the hassle on the 6x6.

Thats really cool info. I have heard on a few of the builds/searches a reluctance for OS people to grab a perentie (ok I know its not a name but it works well other than for a really big bungarra). so the insight you just shared I hope will help others.
thanks!!!

carts

Adventurer
Wish list

The question of differential ratios had me thinking about my wish list.
It is extremely short but it will remain a dream. My list;
1:portals all round (ok you have to have them all round)
2: true track LSD's in the rear diffs and an ARB diff lock (with uprated front axles) for the front.

So why is it that it will remain a dream/wish list. Cost its that simple!

I remember reading, I will attribute it to Scott Brady (sorry if it want him feel free to tell me who it was and also sorry for messing up the words to who ever wrote them as they have been taken to hart by me), I think the question was what mods must be done for over landing and the response was along the line of "That it is better to use your money enjoying you overland vehicle than modifying it, so the best mods are the ones that get you to a point that you can use the vehicle".

For Context

I just got the quote back for shipping our 6x6 from Oz to South America (late 2017 shipping date), It needs to Be RORO because of its size, it will go either via Singapore or Japan to Montevideo and cost in the region of $8K US.

I really want to follow the Dakar and circumnavigate SA. It been a long time dream for me, so I put the axle/diff mods on the never, never list and focus on the big prize.

not sure why I am sharing this just thought others might like to see that the build is about a dream that includes the travel component and not that I am willing and financially able to build my ultimate dream truck as that is clearly not the case. We are trying to follow/spend what must be spent to get what you need to, so as to achieve the big picture. For us the big picture is a a safe, reliable, comfy truck to do the over landing of a dream.

thanks for reading my build
cheers
Geoff

DividingCreek

Explorer
That sounds high. I just shipped a 6 bee to Baltimore from Port Kembla and with export and import customs all in it was less than $4k US.
Let me know as the time approaches, may be able to save you significant coinage.
Of note, I had one ocean line refuse my perentie shipments as their ships were going to Shanghai and the Chinese allow no military hardware other than their own within their waters. Rather than risk an incident they refused my freight.

Last edited:

carts

Adventurer
That sounds high. I just shipped a 6 bee to Baltimore from Port Kembla and with export and import customs all in it was less than $4k US.
Let me know as the time approaches, may be able to save you significant coinage.
Of note, I had one ocean line refuse my perentie shipments as their ships were going to Shanghai and the Chinese allow no military hardware other than their own within their waters. Rather than risk an incident they refused my freight.

Thank will let you know in 2017
regards
Geoff

carts

Adventurer
water hoses

In the same vain as the filters post.
My 6x6 is 96 bush ranger build
the top and bottom radiator hose that I have just replaced are exactly the same.
I have replaced them with the one in the picture. I didn't take a photo of them on but take my word for it they are on and I replaced the weak coolant with new pre-mixed tecalloy.

will add more as time and the adult supervision will allow
cheers carts from WA

Attachments

• hoses 1.jpg
    hoses 1.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears