Driving Lights Comparison

4x4v8

Observer
I just read a thread on EP about driving light comparisons. I see that the Nitestalkers did fairly well. Has anyone ever used a set of Nitestalkers? I am looking for a set of Aux lighting for the far distance but dont have the money to spend too much. I would like to spend $200 or possibly a bit more. Nothing more than that though....

Here is the link... http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/light_comparison.pdf

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Checker/Kragen has 7" HID's for just a wee bit more than your budget. Get the counter person to give you the 10% discount on purchases over 100$'s and they are $109.99 each. You'll also need a 40A relay and switch. I wired mine into the high beam circuit so the on/off switch carries very little current.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CSM&MfrPartNumber=99000CSK&CategoryCode=3157D

They draw less amps than a halogen bulb, are incredibly bright, and have thick clear polycarbonate guards included. We used one of our sets (I've got them on both trucks now) for 2 hours on a recent trip thru elk country from Holbrook, AZ to Eager, AZ late at night. It's comforting to be able to see glowing eyeballs a 1/2 mile away...

Mark

4x4v8

Observer
Yes, I have seen those. I am from Canada but will be going down to the US at the end of this winter. Only problem is, I have read that it is bad to turn them on and off. I need them most when driving country roads but there are ocassionally on coming cars so I will have to turn them off. Although, I would like to go to the HIDs.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
With the limited time I have on my setups, there has been no problem with using the dimmer switch. I guess time will tell... Once they warmed up, they come back on at full intensity immediately. If they've been off for a minute or two, they take a moment to get back up to full brightness. It's still quicker than when cold tho.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Good article. I see my liking of FF1000's is well placed, especially since I got them for only about $100.

madizell

Explorer
I have 10 HID's on one of my Jeeps, and have been using them since 2002. I have had no issues with turning them on and off frequently, and with the exception of the pair I use for back up lights, they are tied to the brights, so they get turned on and off regularly when used on the road at night. If an issue exists, it must be one for those with inexpensive 3rd world-built ballasts. I don't think the bulbs care how often they are turned on or off. Mine are all KC Hilites, and they all use the same high quality ballast units.

4x4v8

Observer
madizell said:
I have 10 HID's on one of my Jeeps, and have been using them since 2002. I have had no issues with turning them on and off frequently, and with the exception of the pair I use for back up lights, they are tied to the brights, so they get turned on and off regularly when used on the road at night. If an issue exists, it must be one for those with inexpensive 3rd world-built ballasts. I don't think the bulbs care how often they are turned on or off. Mine are all KC Hilites, and they all use the same high quality ballast units.

I guess it makes sense that it will last if its good quality. Next question than, how good could the ones they sell at Kragens be?

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
The build quality of the exterior is very good. Dunno if that translates to the electrical components, but it's a good sign to me. The only problem I've had is getting them aimed precisely. The linear graduations on the mount are fairly course, so I used a file to adjust the bottom surface to my needs. The mount is robust with metal to metal contact on the adjusting surfaces. The housings themselves are ABS or a similar material, and appear to be thick enough to provide long term use.

Mine are mounted to a TJM-17 bumper shell and are rock solid - absolutely no vibration even at speed over washboard roads. The light is patterned in the EuroBeam style with great light to the sides, yet on long straight a ways, I can see the mile markers reflecting at 2 miles. As mentioned above, we were able to see eyeballs from Elk, Deer, and rabbits a long, long way away.

Mark

madizell

Explorer
4x4v8 said:
Next question than, how good could the ones they sell at Kragens be?

I can't find readily any information on where they are made, or from what components, but consider this - the lamps themselves are generally $90 each if purchased from a quality source. If the entire unit costs $100, they are either made from inferior knock off parts, or the manufacturer is not in business to make money. Assuming Checker and others who sell these for $100 make a 50% markup, the wholesale cost is pretty low for HID.

There is a reason that name brand lights run $500 each, and a reason that others are 1/5th of that cost. Especially with an HID lamp, it is the internal parts and the reflector/lens combination that require precision and attention to detail, not the housing and mount. If the ballast and lamp are low quality, the light won't last. If the reflector and lens are not correctly designed for HID, the light output will not be all it can be, even if it looks better than you average halogen. If the unit is a garage-built HID conversion of a halogen lamp unit built with the cheapest parts available, I would not waste my time.

However, if you want HID and can't afford $1,200 a pair, get these and try them. At least you won't be out all that much cash.

4x4v8

Observer
madizell said:
I can't find readily any information on where they are made, or from what components, but consider this - the lamps themselves are generally $90 each if purchased from a quality source. If the entire unit costs $100, they are either made from inferior knock off parts, or the manufacturer is not in business to make money. Assuming Checker and others who sell these for $100 make a 50% markup, the wholesale cost is pretty low for HID.

There is a reason that name brand lights run $500 each, and a reason that others are 1/5th of that cost. Especially with an HID lamp, it is the internal parts and the reflector/lens combination that require precision and attention to detail, not the housing and mount. If the ballast and lamp are low quality, the light won't last. If the reflector and lens are not correctly designed for HID, the light output will not be all it can be, even if it looks better than you average halogen. If the unit is a garage-built HID conversion of a halogen lamp unit built with the cheapest parts available, I would not waste my time.

However, if you want HID and can't afford $1,200 a pair, get these and try them. At least you won't be out all that much cash.

Well, for sure I cannot afford a set of $1,200 lights (So my wife says). I wonder if I could use these el cheapo HIDs as my main headlights if I turn my low beams off....Would they be too bright?

madizell

Explorer
4x4v8 said:
I wonder if I could use these el cheapo HIDs as my main headlights if I turn my low beams off....Would they be too bright?

Uhhh... yes. Off road lights don't have beam patterns consistent with headlight patterns. Using an off road HID for a headlight won't make friends with others on the road.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have some of the cheap Kragen HIDs. So far they have been perfect. I use them every time I drive at night and turn them on and off any time there is a car approaching, just like I turn off my high beams. Sometimes when I just want to play I will turn them on and off as I drive down the road just because it is so amazing how much light they produce. After having them on my headlights seem like a child's night light in comparison.

Now are they as bright or durable as brand name HIDs.....probably not. But, I have not seen any side by side comparison to judge the light out.

There is no way that for the price they are using the latest generation of Bulbs or Ballast. But for the price I can buy 4 or 5 of them for the price of one brand name HID.

Of course cheap and replaceable does you no good if it dies in the field, but so far that has not happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan